Air Asia "Sales"

robbiecia

Hi,

I don't see anything wrong here.. The sales are just that-- limited in duration and may not apply to every single seat on that specific flight. I don't think this is any more or less deceitful that a store imposing "limit 1" or "limited to stock on hand" type of restrictions. No where does it say it applies to all seats..

Is it a "come one" well sure it is.. Just as store that use so-called "lost leaders" or items sold at, near or even below cost, with the explicit intention of generating customer traffic.

Hi,

I don't see anything wrong here.. The sales are just that-- limited in duration and may not apply to every single seat on that specific flight. I don't think this is any more or less deceitful that a store imposing "limit 1" or "limited to stock on hand" type of restrictions. No where does it say it applies to all seats..

Is it a "come one" well sure it is.. Just as store that use so-called "lost leaders" or items sold at, near or even below cost, with the explicit intention of generating customer traffic.

and it's exactly the same as the way other airlines handle promotions.

I got quite a good deal during the recent sales. 6000+ Baht for two return tickets Chiang Mai to Phuket. That included checked baggage and convenience fee, for April next year.

I checked the prices again later the same day. Guess what? Yes, the prices for the same tickets had risen by about 2000 Baht.

You have to get in quick.

They tier the prices.

Only the early birds get the best price. Then the prices slowly rise as the seats fill up.

Best way to go is to sign up to the Air Asia newsletter so you have advanced warning of the sales.

As of october 24 this year they will not fly in to Stansted anymore, they are switching to Gatwick. (Stansted was the only reason i considered them)

Well, they've lost me too then!!

Edited by uptheos

Regarding getting in early !Their web site is usually over loaded for the first day of a big sale .As you are half way through the booking it will crash out .Have had some luck the second day ,but not at the very cheapest prices .

Eg , got Bangkok to Tokyo for B14,920 return ( total cost incl all taxes ),march 2012 and Bangkok to Pert ret.( Aus ) for B15,470 the same month .

My best recent bargain with them is Bangkok to Hanoi ( Vietnam ) for B2,100 return flying next November .

Regarding getting in early !Their web site is usually over loaded for the first day of a big sale .As you are half way through the booking it will crash out .Have had some luck the second day ,but not at the very cheapest prices .

Eg , got Bangkok to Tokyo for B14,920 return ( total cost incl all taxes ),march 2012 and Bangkok to Pert ret.( Aus ) for B15,470 the same month .

My best recent bargain with them is Bangkok to Hanoi ( Vietnam ) for B2,100 return flying next November .

Just checked on Skyscanner .net today and the cheapest fares available to the above are ,

Bangkok to Hanoi return (same dates ) B5,220 (versus what i got B2,100 )

Bangkok to Tokyo return ( same dates ) B19,459 on United Airlines ( versus what i got B14,920 )

Bangkok to Perth (Aus ) same dates B16,830 on Jetstar ( versus what i got B 15,470 )

As of october 24 this year they will not fly in to Stansted anymore, they are switching to Gatwick. (Stansted was the only reason i considered them)

Well, they've lost me too then!!

the reason behind the move:

AirAsia X repositions

July 23, 2011

The re-establishment of competition between London's major airports has prompted long-haul budget carrier Malaysia's AirAsia X to switch its destination in Britain.

According to the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation, AirAsia X received an "irresistible" offer to move from Stansted to Gatwick airport after the latter cut its normal airline landing charges to attract what is now south-east Asia's biggest airline group.

Gatwick is owned by an American infrastructure fund after Britain two years ago began unwinding its disastrous decision to sell London's three major airports - Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick - to a monopoly eventually controlled by the Spanish construction industry giant Ferrovial plc.

AirAsia X's chief executive, Azran Osman-Rani, says Britain's decision to impose the world's highest taxes on travellers also forced the airline's hand.

Britain's hated air passenger duty (APD) - now as high as $130 a head for travellers from Australia - means it is expensive for travellers to connect to other European destinations via London airports. However, Gatwick is nearly twice as big for passenger traffic, compared with Stansted. It is served by 46 airlines, compared with Stansted's 11, and offers AirAsia X a greater range of target customers.

more

Edited by Atmos

^^^^

That's an interesting article, thanks for posting it.

The interesting point for me is the option to fly into Gatwick and then hop on the Eurostar or bus/ferry and fly back from Paris to save the on the passenger tax, might not save overall but you could probably add a trip to Paris for little or no extra cost, even though Orly is about 60 minutes from the Centre of Paris by bus.

Gatwick is better for me, though I suppose it depends what part of the UK is your final destination, there are certainly good rail links from Gatwick.

Would that APD of $130 be on top of other taxes/fees?

Yes, it's a tax/cash cow introduced by the British Government to raise revenue and it's on top of all the other fees.

It's banded by the distance of your final destination, with obviously Australia attracting the higher tax. If you fly in a premium cabin, premium economy and above, including the bigger seats on AA, then the APD is doubled.

Edited by theoldgit