Tour De France

T_Dog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you missed stage 13 last night, try to catch it on the reply today. Thor Hushovd from Norway took off on his own to catch the break-away group early on, and did it to win. One of the most amazing mountain stages I've seen.

Yes, fantastic race coverage of the Tour in USA.

Or you can play back live video at www.versus.com

They have a live package that can be delivered via internet.

Very good coverage: Phil Ligget, Paul Sherwin and a team of 5 other announcers.

Live race coverage begins at 6am USA time and goes for 3 hours. Then repeats itself 3-4 times each day!

Here is the Hoogerland/Flecha crash on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPDAry-A-s

if you are squeamish, do not watch.

Once in YouTube, type in "Hoogerland's Father."

If you can keep a dry eye after watching....

I missed watching the tour yestersay.

Looking at the news today, My God do I regret not watching.

Im so proud.

We have only 2 riders in the tour.

I was rooting for Thor all the way, but the execution with his team mate at the finish was perfection. You deserve to be proud!

The next few days of racing will be pretty intense. Here's a cool overall summary I ran into on what to expect. I'll be keeping a close eye on 51 and 55 for sure on that last climb tonight.

http://www.grenoblecycling.com/TourDeFrance-2011AlpinePreview.htm

Then another Norwegian rider won today's Stage race, amazing!

Go Norge!

It is kind of overwhelming.

Not being used to this many wins over the years, it is like an avalanche with positive things.

No need to win anything more, as the tour is already a huge success for us.

And thnx again for the Steephill link link T_Dog. Brilliant site.

Tour de Norge continues!

Announcers Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin are calling the Tour de France...the Tour de Norge!!

Hey, hats off for a fine job.

Edvald Boassan Hagen (24 years old) of Team Sky won Stage #17 handily today. Mr. Boassan Hagen can expect a fine, fine racing career in the years ahead.

Amazing talent, an inspiration to any who clips in for a simple day ride, or a multi day tour of Isaan

I get goosebumps (gooseflesh) watching Team Norway put on a fine show, the Norwegian flag flying proudly, everywhere.

Two Norwegians in the Tour, four Stage wins.

Impressive.

Yesterday, Boassan Hagen got taught a tough strategy lesson by Thor Husholvd at the finish line. Electric stuff.

Incredible helicopter coverage.

Very dangerous downhill high-speed descents, know in slang as "....the pucker factor..."

That is when your spincter tightens up!

If you get a chance, watch the famous twin "car park" incidences....

....coming around a tough left-handed turn, two separate riders (one was the Yellow Jersy Thomas Voeckler of Team Europcar) could not make the turn given the incredible G-forces.

They ducked into this safe haven of a car park! Whew! Talk about close call. Seeing is believing.

Voeckler is still the man, making all French citizens and cyclists happy during his long reign of Yellow Jersey. Is this Voeckler's year? He lost 27 seconds, but is still the leader.

In away, the race is up for grabs---anything can happen as the race heads towards Paris this weekend.

if you are a cyclist fan, NOW is the time to wacth. I don't have any fingernails left.......Cadell Evans, The Scheck brothers, Voeckler, Alberto Contador, many have an excellent chance.

Riveting race. Lousy weather, great fans.

Forecast for tomorrow's Stage #18" rain and cold. The highest climb of the race at over 8,000ft

the downhill last night - amazing to watch, and once again the tv coverage was excellent; the one who ran-off into a car-park - couldn't help but think that if there's been a few more cars parked there he'd have been injured, instead able to turn around and continue.

Never thought distance cycle racing could be so good to watch; great viewing.

Stage 18 with 70km remaining: Andy Schleck(Team Leopard) splits off from the main peloton and making a strong bid to distance himself.....

Conditions: dry and warm.

Currently Johnny Hoogerland is in 4th spot for King of the Hill (Polka Dot jersey).

As I post this....the peloton is getting concerned...how long will they wait before reacting?

The final summit is a 23km uphill brute.....

Glad to see everyone checking in as I've been wondering why this thread has been so quiet with one of the best Tour's ever going on. Agreed that the coverage is superb this year with the WestCam heliboys doing a terrific job. Love the term, Tour de Norge! Fantastic.

Haven't seen any comments about http://data.srmlive.de/TDF/. It sure adds a cool dimension to watching to Tour. Here's an image captured from the computer display next to the TV.

I think we will see some General Classification changes tonight!

post-498-0-36763900-1311257511_thumb.png

Andy Schleck just pulled off the ride of his life, launching his attack some 70km out from the Finish Line....helluva gutsy move!

Frank Schleck came in 2nd Place

Cadell Evans has been gutting out on his own to close the gap, dragging along Thoma Voeckler to the finish line......

Helluva and exciting ride today.

Thomas Voeckler has climbed back INTO the Yellow Jersey on the final kilometer! And KEEPS the yellow jersey another day!

Andy Schleck was cooked the final 500-700m, legs screaming. Andy Schleck won Stage 18

Contador's Tour effectively over....

Three victors today:

1) Thomas Voeckler retains Yellow Jersey

2) Andy Schleck makes up HUGE time on the rest of the field

3) Cadell closed the gap at the end......

Andy Schleck just pulled off the ride of his life, launching his attack some 70km out from the Finish Line....helluva gutsy move!

Frank Schleck came in 2nd Place

Cadell Evans has been gutting out on his own to close the gap, dragging along Thoma Voeckler to the finish line......

Helluva and exciting ride today.

Thomas Voeckler has climbed back INTO the Yellow Jersey on the final kilometer! And KEEPS the yellow jersey another day!

Andy Schleck was cooked the final 500-700m, legs screaming. Andy Schleck won Stage 18

Contador's Tour effectively over....

Three victors today:

1) Thomas Voeckler retains Yellow Jersey

2) Andy Schleck makes up HUGE time on the rest of the field

3) Cadell closed the gap at the end......

Yes, a great race! Voeckler really looked spent at the finish after that incredible ride to keep the yellow jersey. Will have to see how he does tomorrow.

Tour watchers and bicycle fans...

is it just me, or does Contador look out of sorts? He does an awkward bike swap heading into the last climb of day, no support riders.

A real tidbit gleaned: look at all the support vehicles! Many all have smashed up front ends, or "bonnets."

Yeah, many crumpled front fenders and hoods. They are beginning to resemble "bumper cars."

Looks like Demolition Derby at times......

hey, at least the weather was decent in today's Stage 18.

Tomorrow is Stage 19, Alp de Huez

.....be alert at the less than 5km mark: the Great Eddy Merckk standing up through the sunroof of a support vehicle, screaming at Andy Schleck, urging him on!

His kinda race strategy!

Waaay too many idiot fans almost colliding with the Tour riders. Maybe it is the camera lens shortening all?

Much lactic acid built up in my legs just watching the cyclists climb!

Great tour overall, with a fantastic stage today.

This has to be Evans best chance ever to win the tour.

Think Frank will go on the attack tomorrow, and once evans has dragged everyone up to him Andy will go again, that's my best guest anyway. Both the Schlecks need more time over Evans before the Time Trial on Saturday.

Great viewing, hope tomorrow is as good.

Regards

^^ - good highlights clip, thanks - bloody hell, that car incident looks like an organised 'hit' the swerve is so extreme/sudden

^ the USA race - being held a couple of weeks before T de F puts in down in the rankings in terms of the riders taking part, the prestige of T De F would surely be a preference for anyone in the top teams. Sounds like a great event though - across that distance they'd see some huge differences in terrain and climate to - a lot different to the France event. Wonder if it gets much coverage within USA?

Back to T de F - the worst part - my partner likes watching, more the scenery than the riders I think, and must say the helicopter coverage is amazing - she suggested we take a holiday in France!

and not road racing, but my nephew has twice completed the Crocodile Trophy in Queensland Australia, 1250km in 10 days, no rest days.

It's advertised as "the hardest, longest, most adventurous mountain bike race in the world"

Shortest stage 85km, longest 162km. Keeps him fit for his road racing.

1256550356575-1ohagasd8xdev-280-75.jpg

Cadel Evans is evidently also a hardcore mountain biking champ. On stage 17 he was in the seat going up the hills while other were out and pumping hard. He looked like it was effortless.

Wow, that Crocodile Trophy looks like an epic event. Your nephew much be in awesome shape!

^ yes, and very kind of nephew he credits me with encouraging him into cycling, though he has gone way beyond anything i ever did, has so much sponsorship etc; I always preferred triathlon to straight-out cycling

Waaay too many idiot fans almost colliding with the Tour riders. Maybe it is the camera lens shortening all?

Agree - last night thought the spectators were getting way too close and at times blocking/slowing riders, forcing them single-file; I think what they maybe need is some kind of big snow-plough device that keeps a clear space in front of, and around, the riders. Perhaps scoops the most annoying fans up and drops them off the side! The ones who insist on trying to run alongside the front riders, waving flags, shouting etc are hazardous, just been lucky maybe they haven't taken a front-runner out (yet)

It's a strange spectator sport - people must have to get to their little spot perched on a mountainside hours before the riders get there, then see them for a few seconds only, and have to wait until every rider has gone through, plus all the support vehicles, then join a slow convoy of vehicles back home along those narrow mountain roads. Wonderful local support, those country villages all look so 'perfect' clean and tidy.

Good comments about the spectators. I just can't see myself telling the better half: "Hey Honey, This afternoon I'm going to dress up in a devil suit and carry an inflatable fork and chase bicycles for a few seconds up in the Alps."

At any rate, one guy got famous with a different theme. I think the Steephill/Reuters caption is spot on as the currently running stage will cause big changes in the overall standings.

post-498-0-01506200-1311340638_thumb.png

T-Dog..nice pic post!

Yeah, I spied that Jim Carrey Masque as Andy Schleck rode into the history books. Fun stuff! A good chuckle. Nice get-up.

The sacred and the profane, all the same.

My own curious observations: what possesses 3-6 grown French males, between the ages of 28-58, dress up in swim trunks (attire)

and shoes, invariably carrying some plastic object in one hand, SPRINT ALONGSIDE some favourite rider for 5 meters, with complete,

delirious enjoyment? The fans react in packets of spontaneity as well!

I just watch, slack jawed and state aloud to no one listening: "...hey, knock yourselves out!"

I don't get it, but there is no denying the French passion for their national love. Do the individual Tour athelete's carry everyone's own personal dreams skyward?

Contador picked this final stage to trot out his signature pedal dance, sorely missed.

Stage 19:

Contador sprinted away from the peloton from the start, blasting away any semblance of peloton tactics. The entire Stage 19 was a series of packets, fatigue

and recovery. Like pulses of information moving along the digital highway we all take for granted. This time spread out along the various climbs, ending in the classic Alpe d'Huez.

Impressive riding by many!

In a way, I felt a tinge of sadness and melancholy viewing Stage 19: Selfishly, I want the race to continue.

My daily addiction--indulgence-- coming to an end as domestic matters gain in importance. They've been ignored.

Final Stage 20 time trial tomorrow is staged: the race is wide open to many different riders.

It is still a wide-open race. Thomas Voeckler finally shed his yellow jersey, now on the shoulders of Andy Schleck.

Will the coveted jersey sprint Schleck to final victory?

Cadell Evans--even with mechanical glitches and a bike swap-- is riding the ride of his life! Poised to win all!

The guy is an animal, fazed by nothing. Riding HIS race. No one questions his intensity.

My own Tour fave to watch? Sammy Sanchez of Spain, in the orange Euskadel jersey. Gold helmet.

His form and style is ineviable.

The guy will be a future Tour victor. Sanchez finished in 2nd Place today.

Key into Schleck's compact and low CG style while descending, very slick. His knees are almost scraping on the pavement and weight forward.

Smart move.

Pierre Rolland of France(Team EuropCar) wins this impressive mountains stage! His first Tour!

Another incredible day in the Tour de France!

The riders cross the finish line and bonk. They stop, dead cold. Head on their arms on the handebars.

They cannot make it 5 m past. They've given it their all. Gut wrenching.

Edited by burgdawg

where we're at

STAGE 19 RESULT

1. Pierre Rolland (France / Europcar) 3hrs 13mins 25secs"

2. Samuel Sanchez (Spain / Euskaltel) +14"

3. Alberto Contador (Spain / Saxo Bank) +23"

4. Peter Velits (Slovakia / HTC - Highroad) +57"

5. Cadel Evans (Australia / BMC Racing) same time

6. Thomas De Gendt (Belgium / Vacansoleil) same time

7. Damiano Cunego (Italy / Lampre) same time

8. Frank Schleck (Luxembourg / Leopard) same time

9. Andy Schleck (Luxembourg / Leopard) same time

10. Ryder Hesjedal (Canada / Garmin) +1:15"

OVERALL STANDINGS

1. Andy Schleck (Luxembourg/Leopard) 82hrs 48mins 43secs"

2. Frank Schleck (Luxembourg / Leopard) +53"

3. Cadel Evans (Australia / BMC Racing) +57"

4. Thomas Voeckler (France / Europcar) +2:10"

5. Damiano Cunego (Italy / Lampre) +3:31"

6. Alberto Contador (Spain / Saxo Bank) +3:55"

7. Samuel Sanchez (Spain / Euskaltel) +4:22"

8. Ivan Basso (Italy / Liquigas) +4:40"

9. Tom Danielson (U.S. / Garmin) +7:11"

10. Pierre Rolland (France / Europcar) +8:57"

today

STAGE 20 - Grenoble arrBlue.gif Grenoble 42.5 km

CARTEVIGNETTE.gif

Edited by Atmos

Do the fans get too close?

The riders' proximity to fans is what makes us all love cycling so much, but frankly, things got a little scary out there on Friday.

It's one thing cheering on your idols, but abusing them or goading them in fancy dress is pushing it too far. So is wearing nothing but a pair of pants. Or a shiny Australian flag one-piece gimp suit (without any slits for eyes).

On one occasion Evans actually had to change his trajectory because of fans blocking his way.

Nobody wants to see barricades all the way up, but it may happen...

D3YVa.Em.56.jpg

Three-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador of Spain hits a spectator as he climbs Alpe d'Huez

BIKINIMAN300px.jpg

So many questions emerge from this.

Did the man come all the way from Down Under to support Aussie rider Cadel Evans?

Is he an expat?

Is he a Frenchman who simply has a favorite rider and decided beachwear transvestism was the best way to display this support?

Edited by Atmos

....be alert when the camera footage shows 5.0 - 4.7 km left to go in Stage 19.

All the riders are slogging it up Alp d'Huez, PRIOR to entering the barricade section.

The fans are just insane.

The camera is on Alberto Contador, riding with pure HEART. Truly, an amazing effort

by Contador. A stunning ride today for the Spanish champ.

Some fan dressed in light green and white--mimicking a doctor? This fan appears to be spraying

Contador with beer or water? Contador flicks his wrist, smashing this clown in the face!

WooooHoooo!

You go Alberto! Nice move!

We are all witnessing the French ruining their own spectator sport due to a few zanies.

Most stand along the sidelines, urging the riders on. But this is getting too interactive.

The year will come when the entire course route is lined with rope, barricades, or the individial riders equipped with Tasers!

^ ha ha - SNAP!

Tasers - now that would be fun. The security is lacking on those narrow parts where the crowd close right in around a rider.

One of the commentators mentioned how drunk the fans are, how much beer had been consumed.

I suppose they have to gt to their position on the course many hours before the cyclists are due - only one road on those mountains - and sit there drinking for 6 hours.

Before the Contador one, there was another rider who got chased and had water (i hope it was water) poured all down his back

It would be tragic for one idiot fan to, for example, take down the leaders of chase group and have an impact on the whole race outcome

Cadel Evans of Australia wins Tour de France.

More or less blew the doors off everyone in the individual time trial today at Grenoble.

First Tour Victory for any Auzzie. Sweet!

Evans raced hard through the whole tour, and had good strategy. He deserves it! He is not officially the winner though until the final day, but he will be unless something crazy happens.

And thanks all for adding your posts and making this a fun thread.

Joy on the podium

post-498-0-68565000-1311466879_thumb.png

^ yes - at last we find the one well-behaved thread on the forum!

This is the first time I have ever seen live tv coverage - before just highlights in the tv news - and now appreciate just how difficult an event it is. Those mountains!

What a huge event to organise, and a real highlight for the people living in those small country towns, when for a day they are 'famous world-wide'

I read that the placings would normally stay as they are on this final day, ie not serious racing ? So Evans really is the winner now?

There is still a chance a crazy spectator can run out and cause an accident for him.

I didn't watch all of last night's time trial - did the Norwegian riders compete? Must have been very difficult for them to concentrate, and sad for their supporters too with such bad news from Oslo.