Putting Populist Pledges Into Action May Bankrupt Us All; Thai Opinion

webfact

The "one tablet per child" programme would amount to 800,000 computers at a cost of about Bt4 billion. But it remains to be seen how this project would contribute to the children's development - especially those living in rural areas with no broadband coverage.

SATIRE

Hoho! Talk about missing the point! Next they'll be whingeing that these tablets will all be useless in 2 years time, broken, outdated, or unable to use the latest technology in 2014.

The point is someone will get the contract for supplying these locally. It'll make huge sums of money for some particular coalition of business partners and employ at least, oh I don't know, a few thousand Thais. They'll also no doubt be plenty of money to be made for coming up with the crappy software to run them and providing 3G, Wifi or some other broadband access nationwide.

There will no doubt then be a spin-off into exporting the same crappy models to underprivileged African kids paid for by UN and other charities, or just mineral rich African gov'ts who are also doing other kinds of business with certain Thai entrreprenuers, and thus further stimulating the "Thai economy" no end...

(edit: just remembered to add the title in red...)

You make a very interesting point. They are going to give the new school starters a new tablet. Are they meant to keep this through the rest of their education. Even if they give the state of the art, which I know they won't, Do they really expect this tablet to be working in 10 years. What are they going to do to replace/update it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip> then you you say 'despite all the smoke and mirrors about care for rural residents (sounds like criticizing him).

Those smoke and mirrors are used by the Great Oz, who is not Thaksin.

Edited by chaoyang

They are going to give the new school starters a new tablet. Are they meant to keep this through the rest of their education. Even if they give the state of the art, which I know they won't, Do they really expect this tablet to be working in 10 years. What are they going to do to replace/update it.

Also, are they going to be giving tablet PCs out every year to new school starters? Or only this one single time?

Then in my opinion, it is ridiculous, to introduce computers to children of such a young age, even before they have learnt any mathematics or language skills.

To a child of 5 I would consider a computer would be viewed as a toy not as a learning tool.

Save the 4Billion, direct it elsewhere

You never go to Thai school, Thai children never learn math or language skill.

Only learn to obey and repeat and read/write Thai.

Go to 7-11 all staff high school graduate, you see them add without calculator?

I teach maths at a Thai school. The level of maths of some kids would put you to shame. You judge Thai kids maths ability because of the people who work at 7-11. Look at the bottom 10% of any country in the world and they will not be much better. Your comments just show your ignorance.

Now there are real problems with the Thai maths curriculum. They learn far to much too early but that's the topic for another thread.

But 7-11 staff not in bottom 10% of country

They in the top 23% of Thailand, 56% enroll in high school, 23% graduate high school (2005 figure).

To work in 7-11 you must graduate high school.

You demonstrate part of problem, Thailand need better teachers!

Edited by OlafStapleton