Wwii P-51 Found In Pathum Thani

Mrjlh

After this story broke, several people were interested in knowing the fate of the pilot. Well, I continued searching and I found HIM or should I say his surviving family. I am currently in contact with the family. They informed me that Mr. (Capt) Albert Abraham died two years ago February in Marshall, Texas. As I receive more information of interest I will post it.

I'd post some pictures of the wreckage but the systems not letting me again!

The original story: http://www.deredacti...nland/1.1041671

Edited by Crossy

'Faith' or 'fate'?

Fate...my bad! I'll edit it. Oops can't!

Fixed it for you. :)

Sad the man didn't live long enough to visit his aircraft as has happened with a number of unearthed relics in Europe, sometimes even meeting the enemy pilots who shot them down.

:rolleyes:

Yes, I remember that news article about the P-51 being found.

Was that the P-51 apparently shot down after being hit on a raid of the Thai Air Force base in Don Mueng?

Can't remember the exact dates off hand, but I seem to recall that there were two P-51 raids on Japanese aircraft operated by the Thai Air Force in late 1944 or early 1945 just before the end of WW2.

In one of those raids, a Thai Air Force pilot claimed to have attacked and hit a P-51 near Don Mueng. The plane was assumed to later have crashed after being hit. The allied P-51 pilot, although it didn't definately say he was an American, but it is entirely possible he was, survived. I believe he was later smuggled out of the country...possibly with the help of the Thai Seri resistance.

The Thai pilot who claimed to have hit a P-51 that day was also shot down that same day, and survived the battle and the war. I believed he lived until a few years ago. You could do a Google or Yahoo search and see what comes up.

The Thai Air Force museum may also have some information on that battle from the Thai viewpoint.

If it WAS the same encounter, that would make an interesting artcle to write.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

'Faith' or 'fate'?

Fate...my bad! I'll edit it. Oops can't!

Fixed it for you. :)

Sad the man didn't live long enough to visit his aircraft as has happened with a number of unearthed relics in Europe, sometimes even meeting the enemy pilots who shot them down.

Thanks Crossy.

I've been busy this morning replying to emails from the family. They have pictures etc and will eventually send them to me. I'm waiting to hear from his son and daughter. His wife is still alive and well also. I will be passing all this on to the museum at some point. One day at a time.