Best Maps Of Bkk?

ExpatNoobie

I have been to BKK as a tourist many times. But it seems I stuck to the areas that I got to know and never had a clue where I was when I ventured beyond that area. What I would like is a simple map of the city that highlights the neighborhoods, the main streets, and the main landmarks. Every time I look at a location map for something, I find myself struggling to get a handle on how that map fits into the larger city.

So, which maps are the best?

Beyond that, has anyone thought of a "system" for learning the city?

By the way, I am just what my name says, a new expat in Bangkok. I hope to use this board to get to know my way, and possibly make a few new friends. So this is my first post, and it could be the first of many if I find a cheap apartment with broadband...

Anyway, HELLO ALL! :o

I have been to BKK as a tourist many times.  But it seems I stuck to the areas that I got to know and never had a clue where I was when I ventured beyond that area.  What I would like is a simple map of the city that highlights the neighborhoods, the main streets, and the main landmarks.  Every time I look at a location map for something, I find myself struggling to get a handle on how that map fits into the larger city.

By the way, I am just what my name says, a new expat in Bangkok.  I hope to use this board to get to know my way, and possibly make a few new friends.  So this is my first post, and it could be the first of many if I find a cheap apartment with broadband...

Anyway, HELLO ALL!  :o

Buy Bangkok Map from thinknet. It has a papae map plus a computermap. It gives you a good overview and you can focus in/out on areas.

200THB.

Two maps that I can recommend:-

1) Bangkok Maps 'Short Cuts' from the Japanese bookstore in the Emporium 500 Baht. Covers most of BKK province in great detail and shows inter-connecting sois, it is about the same size as a paperback.

2) ThinkNet's Bamgkok map about 400 Baht. You get a fold-out paper map and a CD-ROM. The CD has a great search facility so if you are looking for a school in Laksi (18 of them) or a temple in Nonthaburi (181), it's easy to do. The map is switchable between English and Thai. I find this useful for finding out of the way locations, switching the map to Thai and then printing it out to give to the taxi driver.

PM me if you want scanned examples.

2) ThinkNet's Bamgkok map about 400 Baht. You get a fold-out paper map and a CD-ROM. The CD has a great search facility so if you are looking for a school in Laksi (18 of them) or a temple in Nonthaburi (181), it's easy to do. The map is switchable between English and Thai. I find this useful for finding out of the way locations, switching the map to Thai and then printing it out to give to the taxi driver.

I got the ThinkNet pack with glossy map and CD-ROM for just 199 baht in my local bookstore (Fashion Island Mall). A real bargain. As stated, you can search, zoom in & out, print sections add or remove symbols to avoid clutter and measure distances. The HELP did not load with my CD so I contacted ThinkMap who responded immediately (e-mail) and I downloaded the HELP manual from their website. Highly recommended at the price.

I'd recommend you spend some time travelling on the skytrain, getting off at random stations, and walking around. Also take the sky train to Thaksin bridge (end station), and take a riverboat up the Chao praya river. Again with occasional random stops. Nothing like getting a little "lost" a few times to learn your way around. Bring a phrase book and try the local street cuisine. Visit some smaller, out-of-the-tourist-path temples.

Dress sensibly (clean, long pants, no T-shirt) and smile, and you will be guarantied to have a good time. Look out for pickpockets on the boats and in crowded markets.

Once you have done this, and you are brave enough - get yourself a bicycle and explore other parts of town. Have fun!

WS

Dress sensibly (clean, long pants, no T-shirt) and smile, and you will be guarantied to have a good time.

Why do you recommend dressing like this for walking around the city?

I know the tourist books give one this kind of advice, but personally I think that it is a bunch of out-dated silliness.

Thailand is hot enough already without wearing long pants which I find makes me twice as hot as short pants. Now-a-days, just being less sweaty and dirty looking is going to make the natives look more kindly on you than long trousers.

As far as Thais having any more respect for you when wearing what they consider to be "polite" clothing, maybe in a Government office or a temple or when courting a "good" girl, but it doesn't do you much good on the street.

I have lived here almost 20 years and the only difference I notice when dressing up for casual eventsis that the Thais that know you will sometimes say that you look handsome, no matter how homely you are in reality.

Other than that, it is a sweaty, hot waste of time. :o

Dress sensibly (clean, long pants, no T-shirt) and smile, and you will be guarantied to have a good time.

Why do you recommend dressing like this for walking around the city?

I know the tourist books give one this kind of advice, but personally I think that it is a bunch of out-dated silliness.

Thailand is hot enough already without wearing long pants which I find makes me twice as hot as short pants. Now-a-days, just being less sweaty and dirty looking is going to make the natives look more kindly on you than long trousers.

As far as Thais having any more respect for you when wearing what they consider to be "polite" clothing, maybe in a Government office or a temple or when courting a "good" girl, but it doesn't do you much good on the street.

I have lived here almost 20 years and the only difference I notice when dressing up for casual eventsis that the Thais that know you will sometimes say that you look handsome, no matter how homely you are in reality.

Other than that, it is a sweaty, hot waste of time. :o

Could not disagree more. A pair of comfortable thin cotton trousers are not much warmer than shorts, and look a heck of a lot better. It also gives you more flexability as to where you want to go. With shorts, some areas (temples, good bars & restaurants, etc) are simply out of bounds. You also stand out from the back-pack hippies and are consequently threated better by the locals. Well, I am, anyway. :D

Your experiences may be different, but what I was giving here was my recommendations, whether someone wants to follow them is entirely up to them.

I have been to BKK as a tourist many times.  But it seems I stuck to the areas that I got to know and never had a clue where I was when I ventured beyond that area.  What I would like is a simple map of the city that highlights the neighborhoods, the main streets, and the main landmarks.  Every time I look at a location map for something, I find myself struggling to get a handle on how that map fits into the larger city.

By the way, I am just what my name says, a new expat in Bangkok.  I hope to use this board to get to know my way, and possibly make a few new friends.  So this is my first post, and it could be the first of many if I find a cheap apartment with broadband...

Anyway, HELLO ALL!  :D

You can go to New Phetchaburi Road, find the Baiyoke Hotel, and ride to the top floor. Tourists have to pay for this ride. From the top of Baiyoke Tower, on a clear day, you can see most of Bangkok.

I agree with the suggestion of a previous message, stick to the Skytrain route for a while. You will always have a way back to your hotel. Even better if your hotel is on the Skytrain route.

:o

I concur with the Thinknet Mapmagic software recommendations, which comes with a huge paper fold-up map. The software is awesome, allowing you to pick the types of landmarks to display and print custom maps to take with you. It is a bargain at 199 baht.

Another recommendation is the Bus Route & Map . Scroll down to see. A steal at 50 baht!

Also take a look at Google Earth . The BTS stations are pretty easy to pick out for relative reference.

There are a whole host of threads/posts in both this forum, and the Bangkok one, about maps.

Edited by lomatopo