Non-Immigrant O-A Visa

This is my first post to this forum but I have been reviewing most of the posts for the last 6 months and am grateful for the insight and advice that this forum has given me in understanding certain aspects of life in Thailand as a farang.

My question relates to the non-immigrant O-A visa specifically when it comes round to extending that visa. I am fairly comfortable with the requirements of acquiring the visa (police, medical check etc) and am aware that a multiple entry Non Imm O-A visa will provide 2 years (with one visa run) before I would need to make a decision about whether retirement in Thailand is a suitable long term option for me.

One of the benefits of securing a Non-Imm O-A visa seems to me that the financial requirements can be met by funds in a bank account outside of Thailand which leads to my first question. I assume that when it comes around to extending the O-A visa annually, I would then need to move suitable funds into a Thai bank account to meet the financial requirements of the visa extension?

As an alternative though, at the end of 2 years, couldn't I return to my home country and apply for another multiple entry Non Imm O-A visa and thereby gain an additional 2 years but with the benefit of being able to leave the funds in a bank account in my home country?

This is more acceptable to me as I have heard that if I choose to leave Thailand and give up my retirement status it can be difficult to move funds from a Thai bank account outside of the country. Additionally, leaving funds in home country means I can still attract a much better rate of interest on those funds.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

At the end of the 1st year you re-enter Thailand before visa expires and obtain a further years extension. Decide whether you need re-entry permit for 2nd year - no need to move money here for 2nd year

3rd year - yes you can return to home country & repeat process without having to move money into Thailand jap.gif

Correct, for an extension the funds need to be in an account in Thailand. (or you show an income of 65,000 a month, can be from abroad).

Applying for a new O-A in your home country is indeed another option.

Thank you Mario2008 and terak69. Those were the answers I was hoping for :)

Two additional questions if I may...

Is it correct that under the Non Imm O-A visa, I still need to meet the requirements of the 90 day reporting? and

Terak69 mentions I may decide with respect to a re-entry permit for the 2nd year. I assume therefore that the original multiple re-entry (obtained when I organise the original Non Imm O-A visa) only covers me for the 1st year.

What is the process of gaining the multiple re-entry permit for the 2nd year...how much does it cost, and what is required to acquire it. Can I obtain it when I return back to Thailand at the airport after the visa run at the end of the 1st year for instance or do I need to go to the Immigration office to sort that out.

Thanks once again.

Edited by GuruBob

1. Any stay longer than 90 days will require address reporting.

2. Re-entry permit from immigration office (not airport arrivals) and cost is 1k single or 3.8k multi entry. Photos and passport copies.

Yes you have to report to Immigration every 90 days.

During the second year if you exit the country you will lose your permision to stay.

You need a Re Entry Permit from Immigration.

1,000 Baht for a single and 3,800 for a Multi.

Passport size photo is needed.