Vigo Vs. Triton Plus

topt

As others have noted, although you don't want an Auto now, if you ever need to drive in Thai city traffic you'll likely be wishing you had one.. And when it comes to resale, an Auto will fetch more on a pure percentage basis, and sell quicker, so something to consider.

Prerunner:

Pros:

• 3.0L engine is the best lump currently available in a Thai pickup - it's quieter, smoother, and more refined than others, and has great low-down torque (2.5L could only be classed as average though)
  • Huge dealer network
  • Huge aftermarket accessory support (if that's your thing)
  • 4-door has Larger tray area than Triton 4-door
  • Good resale value

Cons:

• Heavy on fuel. 3.0L gets 10.75 KM/L on the combined cycle.
  • High price for spec
  • Only available with a Manual transmission
  • Only the standard 3-year warranty
  • Aged styling and a minor change coming soon.

Triton Plus

Pros:

• 4-door has the largest cabin space in a pickup
  • 2.5L makes the most HP per litre, and the most HP period (178HP)
  • Better fuel economy - MT gets 12.35 KM/L, AT gets 11.63KM/L on the combined cycle
  • Most "car-like" pickup to drive - i.e. seating position, dynamics, road manners, and suspension compliance.
  • Usually very easy to negotitate a good package of extras, and attractive finance deals.
  • Good resale value
  • 5-year warranty
  • Available with auto transmission
  • Plus model includes leather trim (on white pearl edition), navigation, 7" touch screen and DVD player standard

Cons:

• Limited aftermarket suport
  • More audible engine clatter than Vigo, and torque comes in a few hundred revs later than the Vigo 3.0L
  • 4-door model has the smallest tray in the segment
  • Quirky stying - love it or hate it
  • Dealer network nowhere near the size of Toyota, but still at least one dealer in every major center.

Thank MoonRiverOasis this is really useful to me. I am slowly (very slowly) coming round to seriously considering auto.

I had come to the conclusion that the Triton offered more internal features for the money but interestingly (from memory) the Triton only has one air bag wheras the Toyota G versions have 2.

I am still confused though whether there any real differences between Vigo and Prerunner other than the jacked up cabin?

Have to disagree with MRO on this one!!, this truck is the most car like to drive!.

Vigo Hilux double cab (4 x 2) with the 3L & auto box. After driving around in a Navara for 4 years I cannot believe how quiet it is inside when out on the road.

The auto is a peach too.

Thinking of putting some nice black 15 in wheels on and take the height down an in or two.

Just had an electric carryboy lid fitted at 25k Baht.

I have been told they like to drink derv, well taking it easy for running in, an average of 63kph the comp says 14.3 .

post-44176-0-43888400-1310287566_thumb.j

congrats :)

have to agree, none of the others are on par

if this model has same bakes as 2011 4x4G you will have a hard time finding 15inchers, as brakes are to large

I have had a Triton Plus 2wd auto for the last three years. Have now done nearly 60,000 kilometres and I still really enjoy driving it. I am getting 12 kilometres per litre and that is while doing a 60 kilo round trip every day, into and out of the city. It is my first ever auto and I find it smooth and relaxing to drive. Infact my whole driving technique has changed and I no longer get upset in traffic compared to what I was like when I had a revy petrol engined manual. I chose the Triton as it seemed to do well on safety tests and I saw an article in a German mag where they compared all the main trucks and the Triton came out on top for safety, especially that test when they drive the trucks through a slalom type course to see whether they will tip over. Anyway I am happy with it although I have never owned a Vigo, but do know a few people with them and they also seem happy. One thing I do know is that I don't think I would ever go back to driving a saloon car in Thailand. They seem to low and susceptible to serious damage in a collision especially when there are so many big trucks on the road over here. Good luck with your decision and I think you will be happy with whatever truck you decide to buy.

[

quote]congrats smile.gif

have to agree, none of the others are on par

if this model has same bakes as 2011 4x4G you will have a hard time finding 15inchers, as brakes are to large

[/quote

Thanks KB, they have two types of 15 inch alloy wheels in the Toyota accessories catologue, having a service Monday so will check this out re - the brakes.

Have to disagree with MRO on this one!!, this truck is the most car like to drive!.

Vigo Hilux double cab (4 x 2) with the 3L & auto box. After driving around in a Navara for 4 years I cannot believe how quiet it is inside when out on the road.

The auto is a peach too.

Thinking of putting some nice black 15 in wheels on and take the height down an in or two.

I have been told they like to drink derv, well taking it easy for running in, an average of 63kph the comp says 14.3 .

I'm comparing the VIGO to the Triton, not the the Navara LOL ;)

It's funny - when you haven't really put any effort into comparing models, there's lots of things you just don't notice :D

The auto is a peach too.

I'm comparing the VIGO to the Triton, not the the Navara LOL ;)

It's funny - when you haven't really put any effort into comparing models, there's lots of things you just don't notice :D

Good idea, as many have noted the gap , the Blach Hole on all Hi Risers looks as if they have wheels of a kids pedall car.My friends a Screamin Wheeler,and has lowered his Triton a tiny bit and put big fancy wheels with Do Nuts,mut say it looks cool but now he say the tyres are harsh.Thats about the only thing i like about the Sportive, it came looking balanced. Im sure you choise is by far the best value.:angry: