Vigo Vs. Triton Plus

topt

I am appealing to the knowledgable BMs here who may have an insight to the two vehicles mentioned - or three as I should separate Vigo and Prerunner. I have no previous experience with what I would call a "pick-up" as all my previous "drives" have all been what I would class as mid-range saloons with a sporty feel to them.

The decision has now been made to buy new and to go for one of the mentioned vehicles in the title. I appreciate this means it is unlikely anyone has a practical experience of the about to be launched Toyotas but I am hoping that you may have some insights that may swing the balance either way.

4W drive would be a nice to have but I really do not see the planned requirement for it and would rather save the extra cost as it is not necessary.

From what the dealers said there is a huge difference in the fuel consumption between the petrol versions and the diesel and between 2.5 and 3.0L Diesel which seems to favout the 2.4/5 diesel engine. I do however worry about the performance........yes I know it is a truck :whistling:

Are there any issues over handling between the Vigo and Prerunner with its raised cabin - especially in rain around sharp bends.

Has anyone driven Prerunner/Triton and can compare overall handling?

I would want to put a "liner top"? on both but with the option to be able to take it off so not electric. I was told this would cost from 30-40k?

I stress I would not buy without a test drive and was surprised at how difficult this was to try and arrange (based in Pattaya) - I failed miserably last week and of course for the new one would have to wait. I am not back for another 3 weeks so time to do a bit more evaluating. I am also in no hurry for delivery.

Thank you in advance for any constructive feedback and although I said the decision had been made I would be very happy to hear of an alternative if there are compelling reasons/benefits over my short list.

Good question(s). More options, the new Ford. Here, seems the guys in the know, think it is the future. Me, a Toyota guy from many years of tinkering OUTSIDE Thailand.

Look very carefully about Vehicle stability control, which will be mandatory in the future. Vigo in auto trans is a cool ride. Never driven ANY Thai truck with manual trans that l felt happy with. :)

Good question(s). More options, the new Ford. Here, seems the guys in the know, think it is the future. Me, a Toyota guy from many years of tinkering OUTSIDE Thailand.

Look very carefully about Vehicle stability control, which will be mandatory in the future. Vigo in auto trans is a cool ride. Never driven ANY Thai truck with manual trans that l felt happy with. :)

agreed

the manuals are looong shifts, agricultural, smoothed out by the Aisin auto boxes

They are both good pickups, but I would never consider a +700k baht pickup with manual gear, so its Triton 2 wd auto over Prerunner

and then, moving up in price, it presently is Vigo 4x4 auto over all others

after owning several Vigo/Fortuna without any issues, my next pickup will be Ford Ranger tho, dreaming of next week, but realistically end of year ;)

BTW, diesel is the only way to go, question is how much more power you need over petrol, 2,5 or 3,x?

agreed

the manuals are looong shifts, agricultural, smoothed out by the Aisin auto boxes

They are both good pickups, but I would never consider a +700k baht pickup with manual gear, so its Triton 2 wd auto over Prerunner

and then, moving up in price, it presently is Vigo 4x4 auto over all others

after owning several Vigo/Fortuna without any issues, my next pickup will be Ford Ranger tho, dreaming of next week, but realistically end of year ;)

BTW, diesel is the only way to go, question is how much more power you need over petrol, 2,5 or 3,x?

100% agree. :)

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I realised after posting that I forgot to mention that I have always been an avowed manual driver - and really loathe it when I drive autos of any ilk!

Also surprisingly to me the TGF specifically wanted a manual and not an auto....and she does not have a car licence...

The manual gear shift lever is rather longer than what I have been used to and I did have a feeling that it may be an issue. Transam what exactly are you not happy with manual Thai trucks if I can ask?

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I realised after posting that I forgot to mention that I have always been an avowed manual driver - and really loathe it when I drive autos of any ilk!

Also surprisingly to me the TGF specifically wanted a manual and not an auto....and she does not have a car licence...

The manual gear shift lever is rather longer than what I have been used to and I did have a feeling that it may be an issue. Transam what exactly are you not happy with manual Thai trucks if I can ask?

To be honest it is about dealing with Thai driving manners. Auto is easy with the stuff we have to deal with here. Driven manual stuff here and VERY glad to get to my destination.

I think many people fear autos, fear they will go wrong but for sure here they are a pleasure to drive in any Thai circumstance.

Your lady might want a manual cos ''that'' is what most Thai drive but for sure she will LOVE auto. :)

To be honest it is about dealing with Thai driving manners. Auto is easy with the stuff we have to deal with here. Driven manual stuff here and VERY glad to get to my destination.

I think many people fear autos, fear they will go wrong but for sure here they are a pleasure to drive in any Thai circumstance.

Your lady might want a manual cos ''that'' is what most Thai drive but for sure she will LOVE auto. :)

Thais upcountry do not want auto, as they have never tried. When tried, manual is like having a TV set without remote. Never manual again :)

I have had several trip's/drive's in both owned a 3lt Vigo manual 4x4 4 door would I ever buy a Triton well NEVER. The build quality of the Toyota did it for me and also it's bigger. Sorry dont do Metric but it's 17 feet 6" long. And you would need beeper's on the back. I dont know the answer to this but the Fortuner manual only come's in a 2.5 now. Other peep's will tell you if you can still get a 3lt manual Vigo. Have also had lot's of go's in the Vigo 2.5lt and I can tell you it's slow. Loaded crap and use's more fuel that the 3lt. I now have a auto Fortuner same auto as the Vigo I think. All though it's only 4 speed it's good. If I was useing it in traffic "which I dont" I would go for the auto, but it is more money, So up to you. The top of the range Vigo now has Auto & C/C but it's not far short of 1 MIL: Get out of pattaya and there a load's of place's that will let you have a test drive and I'm sure a better deal. You could try Toyota head office (Very helpful) on 023861000 they will tell you where to get your test drive. Best of luck with what ever you get. Edited by fredob43

I have had several trip's/drive's in both owned a 3lt Vigo manual 4x4 4 door would I ever buy a Triton well NEVER. The build quality of the Toyota did it for me and also it's bigger. Sorry dont do Metric but it's 17 feet 6" long. And you would need beeper's on the back. I dont know the answer to this but the Fortuner manual only come's in a 2.5 now. Other peep's will tell you if you can still get a 3lt manual Vigo. Have also had lot's of go's in the Vigo 2.5lt and I can tell you it's slow. Loaded crap and use's more fuel that the 3lt. I now have a auto Fortuner same auto as the Vigo I think. All though it's only 4 speed it's good. If I was useing it in traffic "which I dont" I would go for the auto, but it is more money, So up to you. The top of the range Vigo now has Auto & C/C but it's not fat short of 1 MIL: Get out of pattaya and there a load's of place's that will let you have a test drive and I'm sure a better deal. You could try Toyota head office (Very helpful) on 023861000 they will tell you where to get your test drive. Best of luck with what ever you get.

Can you give any more insight to this as unfortunately I can find no published figures for fuel consumption but the Toyota sales guy said that the 2.5l was about 13 miles per litre and the 3l only 8? Although I thought this difference was too large the Triton was quoted around the same - actually slightly better. This seems to be in direct contrast to your practical experience which is a little worrying. I dont suppose anybody has any published/reputable figures?

Thanks for the suggestion and phone number.

Sorry for two post but I'm getting big problem's puting them on TV. RE the rear cover I had a Carry boy electric one, their top model on mine at the moment they are still under 30 thou. You can take the top off but it's heavy would need 4 peep's but the good thing is only have to undo 4 bolt's and unclip the electric. Piece of cake except for the weight.

I have had several trip's/drive's in both owned a 3lt Vigo manual 4x4 4 door would I ever buy a Triton well NEVER. The build quality of the Toyota did it for me and also it's bigger. Sorry dont do Metric but it's 17 feet 6" long. And you would need beeper's on the back. I dont know the answer to this but the Fortuner manual only come's in a 2.5 now. Other peep's will tell you if you can still get a 3lt manual Vigo. Have also had lot's of go's in the Vigo 2.5lt and I can tell you it's slow. Loaded crap and use's more fuel that the 3lt. I now have a auto Fortuner same auto as the Vigo I think. All though it's only 4 speed it's good. If I was useing it in traffic "which I dont" I would go for the auto, but it is more money, So up to you. The top of the range Vigo now has Auto & C/C but it's not fat short of 1 MIL: Get out of pattaya and there a load's of place's that will let you have a test drive and I'm sure a better deal. You could try Toyota head office (Very helpful) on 023861000 they will tell you where to get your test drive. Best of luck with what ever you get.

Can you give any more insight to this as unfortunately I can find no published figures for fuel consumption but the Toyota sales guy said that the 2.5l was about 13 miles per litre and the 3l only 8? Although I thought this difference was too large the Triton was quoted around the same - actually slightly better. This seems to be in direct contrast to your practical experience which is a little worrying. I dont suppose anybody has any published/reputable figures?

I v had 4 units 3,0 auto 4x4 Vigo/Fortuner covered approx 150k km, and 8-9km/liter is correct at 160kmh and full throttle acceleration to get there. Friends tell me I can drive slower and use less fuel ;)

I v had 4 units 3,0 auto 4x4 Vigo/Fortuner covered approx 150k km, and 8-9km/liter is correct at 160kmh and full throttle acceleration to get there. Friends tell me I can drive slower and use less fuel ;)

toyota 2,5 VN is almost same power, and uses less fuel, but stick shift only

Dont have any Toyota's figure's But I think it's down to power versus weight, the 2.5 has a lower rear axel so rev's more If I remember rightly it dose 140 kph at 3000 rev's as against 160kph for 3000 rev's on the 3lt. I only know this as a friend of mine has a 2.5 and we used to do trip's together and he alway's used more fuel than me. If we went on a hilly trip at time's he would be in 2nd to get up them and I would be in 4th. My Vigo use to do about 12.5 to the lt if I didnt go crazy but it was a manual his manual about 11. I return about 11/12 on my fortuner auto but if I put my foot down then 8/9. Oh and KM not Mile's wish it was.

Edited by fredob43

Only 160 what's holding you back. Dodgy right leg.

Dont have any Toyota's figure's But I think it's down to power versus weight, the 2.5 has a lower rear axel so rev's more If I remember rightly it dose 140 kph at 3000 rev's as against 160kph for 3000 rev's on the 3lt. I only know this as a friend of mine has a 2.5 and we used to do trip's together and he alway's used more fuel than me. If we went on a hilly trip at time's he would be in 2nd to get up them and I would be in 4th. My Vigo use to do about 12.5 to the lt if I didnt go crazy but it was a manual his manual about 11. I return about 11/12 on my fortuner auto but if I put my foot down then 8/9. Oh and KM not Mile's wish it was.

11-12 km/liter on a fortuna 3,0 auto 4x4?

no way, even when my GF drives at 100kmh, more like 8 at 160kmh/3000rpm and 9-10 when tailwind. Which is extremely good in IMHO.:)

similar suv, dodge durango with slightly :P more hp but similar tourque, 5-6km/liter and we where happy

I do not read milage meters, I do zero trip at every full tank

11-12 km/liter on a fortuna 3,0 auto 4x4?

no way, even when my GF drives at 100kmh, more like 8 at 160kmh/3000rpm and 9-10 when tailwind. Which is extremely good in IMHO.:)

similar suv, dodge durango with slightly :P more hp but similar tourque, 5-6km/liter and we where happy

I do not read milage meters, I do zero trip at every full tank

I put a post in some month's ago about what I got from my Fortuna, and no one belived me then but I have done the same trip several time's since and all about the same kmpl

Started with a full tank, zero trip mt, air con low, cool morning. Did a trip of almost 150km there and back so 300km or there about's flat rd no traffic light's very little traffic, 90 kph in C/C 95% of the time filled up same garage on the way back kmpl = just under 15 yes I would never have belived it if I hadn't have done it myself. And as stated have done it several time's. Must admit though I was trying to get the best kmpl I could so no hard acceleration ect. Cant do it now as have had it ramped up to about 240 bhp as against 162 bhp now return's about 10.9 when I last tried to do the same thing. Your spot on just did a trip back from Pattaya about 500km to where I live all on fast road's with speed's up to 160kph returned 8.9 kmpl.

Triton plus w/ upgraded wheels looks pretty good..

but a regular triton you will look like a peasant

Vigo looks fine as long as you dont put small 16" wheels

In thailand appearances are #1, dont forget. If you look poor people will try to drive you off the street.

As others have noted, although you don't want an Auto now, if you ever need to drive in Thai city traffic you'll likely be wishing you had one.. And when it comes to resale, an Auto will fetch more on a pure percentage basis, and sell quicker, so something to consider.

Prerunner:

Pros:

• 3.0L engine is the best lump currently available in a Thai pickup - it's quieter, smoother, and more refined than others, and has great low-down torque (2.5L could only be classed as average though)
  • Huge dealer network
  • Huge aftermarket accessory support (if that's your thing)
  • 4-door has Larger tray area than Triton 4-door
  • Good resale value

Cons:

• Heavy on fuel. 3.0L gets 10.75 KM/L on the combined cycle.
  • High price for spec
  • Only available with a Manual transmission
  • Only the standard 3-year warranty
  • Aged styling and a minor change coming soon.

Triton Plus

Pros:

• 4-door has the largest cabin space in a pickup
  • 2.5L makes the most HP per litre, and the most HP period (178HP)
  • Better fuel economy - MT gets 12.35 KM/L, AT gets 11.63KM/L on the combined cycle
  • Most "car-like" pickup to drive - i.e. seating position, dynamics, road manners, and suspension compliance.
  • Usually very easy to negotitate a good package of extras, and attractive finance deals.
  • Good resale value
  • 5-year warranty
  • Available with auto transmission
  • Plus model includes leather trim (on white pearl edition), navigation, 7" touch screen and DVD player standard

Cons:

• Limited aftermarket suport
  • More audible engine clatter than Vigo, and torque comes in a few hundred revs later than the Vigo 3.0L
  • 4-door model has the smallest tray in the segment
  • Quirky stying - love it or hate it
  • Dealer network nowhere near the size of Toyota, but still at least one dealer in every major center.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Sorry for two post but I'm getting big problem's puting them on TV. RE the rear cover I had a Carry boy electric one, their top model on mine at the moment they are still under 30 thou. You can take the top off but it's heavy would need 4 peep's but the good thing is only have to undo 4 bolt's and unclip the electric. Piece of cake except for the weight.

Thanks fredbo43 as the sales guy told me if electric could not be removed.

I only know this as a friend of mine has a 2.5 and we used to do trip's together and he alway's used more fuel than me. If we went on a hilly trip at time's he would be in 2nd to get up them and I would be in 4th.

The new 2.5l has increased HP to 140 whilst the 3.0l stays at 163 (if my memory serves me correctly) so not sure if that will help this problem but that would be a concern.

As others have noted, although you don't want an Auto now, if you ever need to drive in Thai city traffic you'll likely be wishing you had one.. And when it comes to resale, an Auto will fetch more on a pure percentage basis, and sell quicker, so something to consider.

Prerunner:

Pros:

• 3.0L engine is the best lump currently available in a Thai pickup - it's quieter, smoother, and more refined than others, and has great low-down torque (2.5L could only be classed as average though)
  • Huge dealer network
  • Good resale value

Cons:

• High price for spec

Triton Plus

Pros:

• Better fuel economy - MT gets 12.35 KM/L, AT gets 11.63KM/L on the combined cycle
  • Most "car-like" pickup to drive - i.e. seating position, dynamics, road manners, and suspension compliance.
  • Usually very easy to negotitate a good package of extras, and attractive finance deals.
  • Good resale value
  • 5-year warranty
  • Plus model includes leather trim (on white pearl edition), navigation, 7" touch screen and DVD player standard

Cons:

• More audible engine clatter than Vigo, and torque comes in a few hundred revs later than the Vigo 3.0L
  • Dealer network nowhere near the size of Toyota, but still at least one dealer in every major center.

Thank MoonRiverOasis this is really useful to me. I am slowly (very slowly) coming round to seriously considering auto.

I had come to the conclusion that the Triton offered more internal features for the money but interestingly (from memory) the Triton only has one air bag wheras the Toyota G versions have 2.

I am still confused though whether there any real differences between Vigo and Prerunner other than the jacked up cabin?

Prerunner:

Pros:

• Huge dealer network
  • Good resale value

Cons:

• High price for spec

Triton Plus

Pros:

• Good resale value
  • 5-year warranty

Cons:

Thank MoonRiverOasis this is really useful to me. I am slowly (very slowly) coming round to seriously considering auto.

I had come to the conclusion that the Triton offered more internal features for the money but interestingly (from memory) the Triton only has one air bag wheras the Toyota G versions have 2.

I am still confused though whether there any real differences between Vigo and Prerunner other than the jacked up cabin?

The prerunner is the same car as the Vigo by which I take it you mean the 4x4 and as MRO state's the Prerunner cannot be obtained in auto. Try and have a go in both The Triton is small and look's crappy well I think it does. Then it's make your mind up time. Have a good look at what MRO has posted on the technical bit's and the pro's and con's. If it were me I would go for the Vigo 3lt 4x4 auto. Strong as an OX. But Im Bias.

]The prerunner is the same car as the Vigo by which I take it you mean the 4x4 and as MRO state's the Prerunner cannot be obtained in auto. Try and have a go in both The Triton is small and look's crappy well I think it does. Then it's make your mind up time. Have a good look at what MRO has posted on the technical bit's and the pro's and con's. If it were me I would go for the Vigo 3lt 4x4 auto. Strong as an OX. But Im Bias.

I think you might be thinking of the wrong model Triton fredob43, the 'Plus' model being discussed is the jacked-up, RWD version designed to compete head-to-head with the Prerunner.

Overall Dimensions:

Prerunner 4-door: 5130mm (L), 1835mm (W), 1820mm (H)

Triton Plus 4-door: 5285mm (L), 1800mm (W), 1780mm (H)

As noted, the Triton has some 200mm more cabin space (big diff. in the rear seat), but it comes at the expense of tray size:

VIGO Tray: 1520mm (L), 1515mm (W), 450mm (H)

Triton tray: 1505mm (L), 1470mm (W), 462mm (H)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

]The prerunner is the same car as the Vigo by which I take it you mean the 4x4 and as MRO state's the Prerunner cannot be obtained in auto. Try and have a go in both The Triton is small and look's crappy well I think it does. Then it's make your mind up time. Have a good look at what MRO has posted on the technical bit's and the pro's and con's. If it were me I would go for the Vigo 3lt 4x4 auto. Strong as an OX. But Im Bias.

I think you might be thinking of the wrong model Triton fredob43, the 'Plus' model being discussed is the jacked-up, RWD version designed to compete head-to-head with the Prerunner.

Overall Dimensions:

As noted, the Triton has some 200mm more cabin space (big diff. in the rear seat), but it comes at the expense of tray size:

could we reduce the Tritons cabin space advantage to 20mm (2 cm=3/4inch)?

and also make aware Triton 4 doors bed used to be only 130cm, but with new higher and longer bed some months ago, it is now almost on par with Vigo

IMHO both fine 4 door pickups

low budget, I would go Triton 2,5 auto

more to spend, Vigo 3,0auto 2wd

+950k baht, Vigo 3,0auto 4x4

no hurry, wait for Ford Ranger :)

and out in the boonies, quality of dealer could be more important than qualities of vehicle. No pickup is better than its aftermarket backup ;)

Overall Dimensions:

and also make aware Triton 4 doors bed used to be only 130cm, but with new higher and longer bed some months ago, it is now almost on par with Vigo

and out in the boonies, quality of dealer could be more important than qualities of vehicle. No pickup is better than its aftermarket backup ;)

K - I thought I saw someone in the Ranger posts say it was going to be over 1m baht? If so definitely more then I want to spend and at that level I would probably look at Fortuna/Pajero.

Overall Dimensions:

K - I thought I saw someone in the Ranger posts say it was going to be over 1m baht? If so definitely more then I want to spend and at that level I would probably look at Fortuna/Pajero.

Rumours say 839k 4 door Wildtrack, thats a spec far higher than the Vigo/Tritons mentioned here

expect lower equipped models to cost less

and 3,2 Wildtrack to cost a million

After my dabblengs with a Sportivo, id go Mitsu, and reconsider if I realy need a truck, or is it for Family Reasons.The 2 Door Vigo Manual is quite a nice drive, infact lo riders are,and unless your In City,you dont change gear much anyway.Or use you brakes,when the Door Locks go Whack after 15 Mins :realangry: you will see why the Pads hardly ware up country.Thats my Non Racer take, not well recieved by the Kids.:D

Overall Dimensions:

Yep your spot on again have the wrong one. Dont like Mitzu's for there design to much of a gap between the top of the wheel's an the wheel arch, for one thing. We have a Mitzu garage in our town and I've never been in. So they have a new model. Sorry but they can keep it. No matter how good it is. Edited by fredob43

Prerunner:

Pros:

• Huge dealer network
  • Good resale value

Cons:

• High price for spec

Triton Plus

Pros:

• Good resale value
  • 5-year warranty

Cons:

Have to disagree with MRO on this one!!, this truck is the most car like to drive!.

Vigo Hilux double cab (4 x 2) with the 3L & auto box. After driving around in a Navara for 4 years I cannot believe how quiet it is inside when out on the road.

The auto is a peach too.

Thinking of putting some nice black 15 in wheels on and take the height down an in or two.

Just had an electric carryboy lid fitted at 25k Baht.

I have been told they like to drink derv, well taking it easy for running in, an average of 63kph the comp says 14.3 .

post-44176-0-43888400-1310287566_thumb.j