Friend Of Mine Does Not Stop For Police, Just Keeps Driving

WebBangkok

Please obey traffic rules it makes it safer for others.

:D :D :D :D :D

The BIB does not only stop you if you make a mistake. They often just want money. Especially if your on a motorbike.

So follow the rules and you wont worry about getting stopped. Crazy idea huh?

Have you ever lived here ?? I have and you get stopped for nothing here.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy this comes up. A week or so ago there was check points on both sides of the road near me when I went to the local store and this was one time I had a fellow farang with me. We went through the check point going north all had belts on etc. so all was ok and were waved on and did our business at the store, then on the return trip going through the check point going south we passed an officer that gave me a very in-distinct signal to continue by just moving his fingers while his hand was at his side.

He was not clear at all, his motions looked like "continue" and we had just come through the other side with no problems so no reason to suspect any this time. Turns out he was half-assed signalling me over it seems and as I was continuing I noticed his actions seemed suddenly distressed as we passed and I looked in the rear view mirror to see him tucking his ticket book and using his radio while staring us down. This got me thinking, as I knew our tax was due shortly and it's my Mrs. job to handle that as it's her car..

We get home and I checked and sure enough it had run out about a week before and I was just a bit ticked as there was no reason for it to run out. I asked a Thai neighbor to go back to the check point with me to smooth it over and pay any small fines in lieu of more potential trouble knowing how they're getting computerized and all that these days and she was all "oh no worry" "we do it all the time no Thai stop" blah blah blah, I tried to explain that I'm not Thai and neither is my Mrs. so we have a different standard applied to us and that we live by. I finally just said "you help or not? I have no more time to waste, I'm going back" and she went back with me but by the time we got back they had packed up and left already. I'm still concerned and expecting a worse fine to show up in the mail any day now but I'd really hate to have gotten shot at or something over a complete misunderstanding and a couple of hundred baht fine, I had my boys with too :( ..

Renewed the tax the next day.. They were all thinking at the time I was crazy to even be concerned or wish to explain the misunderstanding to the cops but my boys are also not going to be living here much longer and I want them to respect the law and learn the opposite of what is taught here so I was trying to set a good example for them too follow too which was completely lost on my Thai neighbor :rolleyes: ..

My mate doesnt run police checkpoints (that I know of), just the single motorbikes that are on the side of the road collecting money.

Like my mate says, they wont chase, because their next payment from the next car is more important.

Yeah, yeah, your mate has Thailand all sussed out. Clever bugger.

Now tell the muppet to wear his <deleted>' seatbelt!

The BIB does not only stop you if you make a mistake. They often just want money. Especially if your on a motorbike.

I live here, maybe in a rural area, but seldom get stopped. When I go home to OZ for Xmas get stopped all the time for breath tests. Just depends where in OZ or Thailand you live I guess and never been fined in OZ or here. Jim

I live here, maybe in a rural area, but seldom get stopped. When I go home to OZ for Xmas get stopped all the time for breath tests. Just depends where in OZ or Thailand you live I guess and never been fined in OZ or here. Jim

I also get seldom stopped.. but of the times i get stopped many times its for nothing.. just that they want some money.

In the car i get stopped less then on the bike

My 72 year old German neighbor is very proper and law-abiding and driving back to Trat when a lone cop waved him over. In obedience, without a second thought, he jerked the wheel to the left and bashed into the cop's motorbike. It knocked it over and it tumbled down the embankment and disappeared.

This very proper and law-abiding man then felt it was best to put the petal to the metal and haul butt. He was still shaking when he got home two hours later. Got very drunk that night and did not drive anywhere for two months. :ph34r:

cheesy.gif great story

Where my better half come from I never get stopped by the police.. They're probably too surprised by seeing farang to react in time.. And I drive motorbike without helmet..

edit: I don't get stopped, my better half gets stopped on his own sometimes

Edited by remiss

I always stop. I have never been asked to pay anything when I wasn't breaking the law.

I was pulled over in BKK (showed my Thai DL and was sent on my way) While I was there a Thai on a bike tried to not stop and an officer used his metal clipboard to help the motorcyclist stop. (The bike went another 50 meters and I think the cop may have broken his wrist .. I didn't stick around to see if they took the biker off in an ambulance or a hearse)

I recall an incident in Fang a few years ago when a car with three people jumped a red light and a frantic policemen waved them to stop , which they did not, he chased them , caught them and shot them all dead ,including a girl not yet in her teens.

The cop was crazy, these things can happen in Thialand, bear in mind if you don't stop the cop looses face.

Beware

I don't drive the car that often (a couple of times a week maybe) BTS is more convenient.

But, when I ever see a "checkpoint" (read location to scam white man for money) , I just pretend I didn't notice and drive on through at a smooth normal speed.

(my current car (or previous car) is relatively new with no defects, full insurance and paid tax). I drive sensibly at the same speed as the surrounding traffic, and I instinctvely wear a seatbelt etc. So, the only reason a crooked cop would want to stop me is to scam me. No thanks! They can try their luck on some other poor sucker.

On the remote chance that they would ever give chace, I'd put my humble, pittiful, sorrowful face on, speak no Thai and plead dumb ass farang ignorance boo hoo I'm so sorry I didn't know officer bla bla, whilst mentally giving them the middle finger.

My 72 year old German neighbor is very proper and law-abiding and driving back to Trat when a lone cop waved him over. In obedience, without a second thought, he jerked the wheel to the left and bashed into the cop's motorbike. It knocked it over and it tumbled down the embankment and disappeared.

This very proper and law-abiding man then felt it was best to put the petal to the metal and haul butt. He was still shaking when he got home two hours later. Got very drunk that night and did not drive anywhere for two months. :ph34r:

:cheesy::cheesy: ,, l like that one

I hope your friend gets into trouble sooner rather than later. There are already enough idiots in Thailand.

Oh yes. :boring:

Had a cop run across the road to try to nab me when going up the wrong way 5 yards to get to a fuel station, though quite easy to outrun them when they're on foot. Never forget a farang couple in CM pulling over for a group of them on one of the moat corners (no helmets), who then thought better of it and sped off. One of the coppers grabbed hold of the handle behind the seat and ended up pulling him across the road... they got away though. :D

Worth stopping when driving though, and be aware that they also often have someone farther along with a radio.

The be more than nothing and you will not get stopped. :D

Amaziing how many posters run the gauntlet and get away with. I just wouldn't have the guts. I'd imagine this would also be a loss of face for the officer. I'm still s#%t scared that the little gaurd on the BTS platform will shoot me if my foot touches the yellow line.

It does seem a bit rude to ignore police directives as a guest of the Kingdom.

I've driven and ridden 130,000 kms in LOS in the last 3 years. I get stopped sometimes. Occasionally for an error but more often because farang. If I've done nothing wrong I give a hundred baht - they don't get paid much and have to split tea-money up the ranks. If I'm in error maybe 200.

Toll gates are an easy place to be singled out as farang. Keeping tinted windows up, sun visor down and my white arms low. EasyPass has been great - they don't quite have time to see and stop me and I don't need to lower the window.

Sucks a bit but I don't think many of us are here because of our hosts just law enforcement.

Viva Thailand.

Good story, and good idea of your neighbour to leave the car behind. Many old people refuse to admit the decline of their driving skills.

Decline in skills? He did a fine job of knocking the mobster's cop's bike in the ditch and pulling away to arrive safely home. :lol:

Actually, he has stated his intentions of selling his car. But he's having a tough time finding a place here to buy Rubbing Compound, so he can polish out the brown paint on his front left fender. Refuses to take it to a detail shop, might drop the dime on him. That "Boxer Brown" is a very distinct color.

Anyone know where rubbing compound can be purchased on my trip to BKK next week?

WARNING: Providing this information could be construed as accessory after the fact! B)

I honestly stop most of the time im too scared of them. But there have been times that i just drove on because the speed i was traveling at would have made it difficult to stop. Those cops really have a death wish sometimes. They just cross 3 lanes to stop you and expect you at full speed to stop and follow them to the side crossing again 3 lanes of traffic.

My friend a Dutch cop witnessed this and shook his had and called them crazy.

Actually my friend was stopped on his motorcycle, when he was getting his license out the officer thought he saw a British embassy card and goes to him "You work at British Embassy?" My friend goes "hmmmm yeah I work at the British embassy". The police apologised to him and let him go.<deleted> is with that?

That is the 'working for the government' factor.

You work for government, you can do whatever the hell you like, if I stop you and find out you've done something wrong, it's embarrassing. Sorry, I didn't know, please don't be angry with me!

Maybe it just made him think about diplomatic immunity. I'm sure all plod are taught that to some degree.

Actually my friend was stopped on his motorcycle, when he was getting his license out the officer thought he saw a British embassy card and goes to him "You work at British Embassy?" My friend goes "hmmmm yeah I work at the British embassy". The police apologised to him and let him go.<deleted> is with that?

Sounds like a good ploy! My FIL used to be a Naval officer (Thai RN). He is retired now, but still has friends in the right places. He gets a sticker each year (from his old CO) which he places in his windscreen - he parks where he likes and always is waved on - polie don't mess with military. I wonder if we could get stickers printed with Union Jack on them and British Embassy embossed along the top - so we could stick them in the windscreen - may make a few cops decide not to bother! Actually a few years back I thought of getting a black car and putting those little flags on the wings - thought it might provide some privileges!

Back in the UK a friend of mine had an old Army truck. He loved it, he paid 10 quid a year for road tax (later became free as pre-1971), practically non existent insurance fees (very low class). When we used to go the Biggin Hill Air Show, he would stick us all in the back with a few crates of beer and a BBQ and drive up to the gate - as they always assumed it was an exhibit, we always got waved right up to the runway for the best view and uncrowded place for the picnic!

Edited by wolf5370

+10000000000)))))))))))LOL awesome

Having driven here for 22 years, never held a Thai license, I can give some tips. First, determine whether you are being stopped becuase you did something wrong, or simply harrassment. Even if you did something wrong (e.g., red light, no U-turn, etc) you might be able to get away if the traffic is light, and you don't see any support for a lone officer (motobike, or support up ahead). In the case of harrassment, you can also flee because likely both you and he understand what is happening. The other day, I saw a Thai girl get cornered under the Petchaburi highway bridge. The cop stood in front of her care and blocked it; she refused to pull over and kept pointing ahead. She tried to go around, he pulled out a mobile and threatened to photo her plate. She was unfazed, and finally just pushed her way thru. He simply shrugged, and walked away. This is a notorious harrassment junction. She knew it, he knew it. A Thai thing.

On the other hand, the fully supported checkpoints (cones, multiple officers, near a police station) are more difficult. If you get waved over here, best to comply, they might shoot you (they are looking for drugs, alcohol). They are not harrassing for licenses, paperwork, etc., this is a full criminal checkpoint. They also have chase support vehicles on standby up the road. The strategy here is simple - don't drink and drive, wear your seatbelt, hang back from the vehicle in front a bit, gain some distance and "roll thru" at a quicker pace. Smile a bit, but don't drop your window! If you have not done anything, then you have nothing to fear at these, there are too many officers around for them to demand 100 or 200 (and are not interested anyhow).

After a bunch of drinks the other night I got pulled over at Nana no seatbelt. They love the breathalyzer. I knew I was dead. As there was nowhere to park, he asked me to pull ahead into nana, park, and walk back to the station (I surrendered my license). I figured, why not just return in the morning? So, I left. Came back in the morning, paid my B200 fine for no seatbelt, got my license back, all was good. Sometimes it helps to think quick, but I'll not drink and drive again that's for sure (only 100 meters to the hotel, please no moral speeches ok).

Hope this helps!

After a bunch of drinks the other night I got pulled over at Nana no seatbelt. They love the breathalyzer. I knew I was dead. As there was nowhere to park, he asked me to pull ahead into nana, park, and walk back to the station (I surrendered my license). I figured, why not just return in the morning? So, I left. Came back in the morning, paid my B200 fine for no seatbelt, got my license back, all was good. Sometimes it helps to think quick, but I'll not drink and drive again that's for sure (only 100 meters to the hotel, please no moral speeches ok).

Hope this helps!

It was only a 100 metres to the hotel car park cos that's where you happened to be stopped, you would have driven a lot further than that if you hadn't.

Being a Sponsor, any moral speeches aimed at you may well be deleted. :)

Edited by MrsMills

dam_n I wish I had thought of doing that !!!! I personally never ever stop for police checkpoints, treating them for what they are, bandits by the side of the road trying to make you stop so they can rob you.. The single policeman by the side of the road trying to raise money for karaoke I do not even slow down for. With the big check points with cones, I will slow down , try to look confused, then keep going. Thinking they are going to shoot you is complete urban myth bullshit. They just wait a minute, then more money on the hoof shows up in the net. No need to have hearings about why they shot a farang for no reason, since they never had probable cause to pull you over in the first place.

My favorite episode was on my large bike coming up from Hat Lek. I am in a hurry, wearing a helmet, on a completely legal insured and registered motorcycle. I then see a single policeman in the middle of road trying to wave me to a stop. Hmmmm. So I actually speed up a bit. He then comes to his senses, realizing that standing in the road with a motorcycle bearing down on him at 130 kph is not a good idea, and moves to the side of the road. Then to save face, just as I am passing him, he sort of gives me the go ahead hand wave.

I was on the side of the road opposite from a check point taking a water break, sort of watching with amusement which cars they chose to pull over. All the trucks were fair game, and most standard looking small cars were a pull over. Then I see a Mercedes Benz roll up. The policeman actually stepped back from the road, and snapped a salute as th Benz rolled by. So apparently there is some economic choices in who they decide to rob... :-)

Not stopping on Sukhumvit well that might catch up but pushing the bike down the hill he should get a rewardjap.gif

I don't understand the problem.

Living on Phuket, I am frequently 'pulled over' at Chalong Circle when on my motorbike.

As I'm wearing a helmet, my tax is up-to-date and I show them my driving license, I've NEVER been asked for money.

If you gave the clowns a reason to stop you - you better stop; otherwise drive on as the trouble extording a few hundert THB from a Farang is in no relation to what they can make in the meantime. I got stopped the other day in an old VW transporter 1969 (showroom condition). They wanted to see the original blue vehicle registration book which I obviously did not have with me; a copy did not suffice. Off we went to the Banglamung police station (Pattaya) and there they kept me for four hours. Initially they wanted THB 4'000; at the end I pretended calling a lawyer (I speak Thai) and then only they told me that they would exceptionally let me go without fine. I took pictures of the extortion clown, had them printed out accross the road and ever since, when I am getting stopped for nothing, give them a picture of these slimebags and tell them to discuss it with them. Never ever had a problem since........ But the initial investment was four hours and picture taking.Unless you can erradicate the deep rooted corruption which has taken over this country on all levels ......... keep on dreaming!