Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thailand's Democrats Seek Ban On Thaksin Party

webfact

It was only a question of time before Abhisit the "gentleman" cries foul and rely on the judicial system to change a defeat into??

Don't know what Abhisit has got to do with this. He probably wouldn't touch the PM's job again with a barge pole.

Nice username, though.

Abhisit is the "brain" of the Democrats like Thaksin for the PTP and both are pulling the strings in the back. When the Democrats can form the government again he will be their PM no doubt about this.

Thanks for the compliment

i think well find if EEC rule against PTP and they are unable to have enough MP's left to govern Abhisit will have absolutely nothing to do with it. I suspect if that happens all hell will break loose very quickly and the army will have no choice but to step in again to avoid all out civil war. It will not be pleasant or good but IMO nor would/will simply letting Taksin create his own party state. If Taksin steps down and keeps out of it then others on PTP can govern and some hope of peace will prevail. If he cant and I think last 5 years have totally shown he cares nothing for peace or people then it is almost certainly all out war. If any of PTP leaders had any guts they would tell him its time to go before his actions completely destroy any chance of democracy here. In no other proper democratic country would he ever be able to have any say. Here unless your totally blind he controls it all and its true vast majority of North Thailand want him. Events will take their course but I suggest if you can you build that shelter from whats about to come. I thought I might have 3-5 years to get rest of my money out but events seem to be moving very fast and maybe I only have 3-6 months or so. We will see.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Animatic hit it on the head with his first post. It may just be another method of removing Mr T completely out of politics in Thailand. There must be quite a number of reds who would welcome not being associated with him anymore & if that came to pass then their policies & actions will carry more weight. Surely running a political party from abroad while being a convicted criminal & banned from all political activities must be a serious offence although I have no idea where the law stands in terms of punishment if convicted. It does seem that one has to actually be in the country & appear in court in order to be tried which leaves many felons enjoying a luxurious life overseas.

I think they've scheduled an appointment between Thaksin and the illustrious members of SEAL team 6.

tongue.gif

IMHO --- yeah .. I am ever so humble ;)

They couldn't do anything about this before it became obvious that BJT was on the chopping block or it would have cost the Dems their strongest ally.

(edit to add beside for the obvious reason --- PTP could never have done this since the "Friends of Newin" were a part of their coalition.

Edited by jdinasia

Welcome to the "Beverly Hillbillies" of the political spectrum. What really needs to change is the same old political parties being overtaken by a new force. No more TRT, PPP, PTP's. Somebody and some faction has to rise within the political realm and create a new set of beliefs that are appealed to the whole of society. No more,"SAME SAME BUT DIFFERENT."

Put a lid on the past.

Wishful, thinking, eh?

True, but it's unlikely to be viewed like that. It will be seen as the Dems hanging on to power without a mandate.

The judiciary are seen as the one's who removed them from power last time.

Politics is all about perception. In a potentially unstable situation like this one, I just think it's very, very short-sighted and dangerous to start this kind of procedure right after the election.

I hope it comes to nothing, for the right reasons too!

Agreed.

I, like others, wonder why this stuff wasn't being brought forward before the election. I guess there was a better reason than: let's wait to see if we win first, but i could be wrong.

Perhaps all the Thaksin haters and by implication Democrat supporters will now wake up and realize the true nature of the people they support.

No-one who support the current government support democracy.

The people in as free and fair election as you are ever going to have in Thailand have decided and they've come out in their millions to defeat the current administration.

This current Democratic Party move (Democratic? - what a joke) opens the door for a return to seeing tanks on the streets of Bangkok yet again.

I dont suppose it will be long.

And that is exactly as the Dems and Army coalition had planned when they realised they had no chance of winning.

Mistakingly the Dems think it will make them look like the upholders of law and order....how wrong they will be when thousands are mown down in the ensuing free for all one sided shootout.

Democrats and its allies are the problem facing Thailand today.

They always where! They are the furthest thing from Democrats or a democracy. They are the elite, the rich Chinese and sleep with the military and the he_l with the average Thai.

They can have 20 more elections and will never win! They only will get in to power getting appointed by the military just like the last time.

For us that have been living here awhile know the power play of the military and they do not like the outcome from July 3 and their bed fellows been the so called Democrats!

I am just curious of the outcome.

For crying out loud - if Thaksin is not an elite, as one of the wealthiest Thais in existance, then who is? Please stop reading off the hymn sheet we have seen the propoganda pamphletes already, we don't need them continually re-read. Get your own mind, we are not interested in hearing regurgitated rhetoric from some PR man.

Edited by wolf5370

I thought the people have chosen already ? In all "Democracy" voice of people is usually legitimate . I understand they might be disappointed but I don think it will help to reunited Thais. :annoyed:

The yellow shirts will not accept democracy. It was only a matter of time.

And that is exactly as the Dems and Army coalition had planned when they realised they had no chance of winning.

Mistakingly the Dems think it will make them look like the upholders of law and order....how wrong they will be when thousands are mown down in the ensuing free for all one sided shootout.

Do you mean the red shirts won't be armed again?

Let's get real here. IF the democrats had won, the PTP would be trying the exact same thing (in addition to their usual street actions no doubt) IF they had a case. Do the democrats have a case? I think probably they do have a STRONG case. There is a big lie being pushed by the Thaksinistas, that the country is now unified in a landslide pro Thaksin victory. It is true PTP won an impressive parliamentary victory, but only about 42 (or about that) percent of the voters actually voted for PTP. The truth today remains as it was yesterday, as sadly it will be tomorrow, THAKSIN himself is a massively divisive force in Thailand. In that sense, NOTHING has changed.

I thought the people have chosen already ? In all "Democracy" voice of people is usually legitimate . I understand they might be disappointed but I don think it will help to reunited Thais. :annoyed:

WHAT Yellow shirts?

If the Democrats follow this to conclusion then Newins and Barnhans lot should also be banned again. Leaving them with no friends.

It would be a good outcome from this.

It is well past time these banned types ALL of them, get put back in the box.

This is something that was publicly discussed here during the leadup to the election: Why weren't the Democrats filing a complaint with the Election Commission or making a bigger deal over the clear and heavy-handed involvement of former PM Thaksin in the recent election and PT's campaign and candidates in it...

Well, now I suppose the answer is clear... It was always an end card to play in the event the Dems didn't win the election outright...

You don't have to be either a PT or Dem supporter to recognize that the role of former PM Thaksin in directing the PT's recent election campaign was clear, public and substantial.

Regardless of which party anyone supports, it ought to be pretty clear that the PT violated the law via Thaksin's involvement. If the Election Commission follows the actual law, then once again the PT Party ought to be dissolved.

And who will they have to blame for it? Only themselves and their de-facto (in absentia) leader.

Edited by jfchandler

What have the yellow shirts got to do with this? They were calling for a "no vote".

The Democratic party seek to ban Pheu Thai. Nothing to do with 'yellow shirts' who wanted a 'no' vote anyway :ermm:

They always where! They are the furthest thing from Democrats or a democracy. They are the elite, the rich Chinese and sleep with the military and the he_l with the average Thai.

They can have 20 more elections and will never win! They only will get in to power getting appointed by the military just like the last time.

For us that have been living here awhile know the power play of the military and they do not like the outcome from July 3 and their bed fellows been the so called Democrats!

Are you saying that "the elite, rich Chinese" Thaksin, that tried to sleep with the military when he appointed is relatives in top posts, is a Democrat?

His parents where shopkeepers far removed from the old and powerful elite. Look at the colleges they attended very far from the elite. Chinese Elite = born with a silver spoon in their mouth like the last PM. Thaksin made the poor feel like real people for the first time in their lives.Like or not they will never forget it.

Edited by hardy1943

What a morons. The democrat party corrupted to the bone, getting off on a technicality wants a ban. Only for one single reason to ban Yingluck. I predict a civil war which will be won by the voters of Thailand, which will have no mercy with the Democrat leaders. In any case any party country or organization which bears the word "Democratic" in it, is often authoritarian and has nothing to do with democracy.

His parents where shopkeepers far removed from the old and powerful elite. Look at the colleges they attended very far from the elite. Chinese Elite = born with a silver spoon in their mouth like the last PM. He made the poor feel like real people for the first time in their lives.Like or not they will never forget it.

Shopkeepers???????? What propaganda have you been reading?

Thaksin's great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu made his fortune through tax farming. The Khu/Shinawatra later founded Shinawatra Silks and then by moving into finance, construction and property development. Thaksin's father, Lert, was born in Chiang Mai in 1919 and married Yindi Ramingwong (a daughter of Princess Jantip Na Chiang Mai). In 1968, Lert Shinawatra entered politics and became an MP for Chiang Mai and deputy leader of the now-defunct Liberal party. Lert Shinawatra quit politics in 1976. Lert Shinawatra opened a coffee shop, grew oranges and flowers in Chiang Mai's San Kamphaeng district, and opened two movie theatres, a gas station, and a car and motorcycle dealership. By the time Thaksin was born, the Shinawatra family was one of the richest and most influential families in Chiang Mai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra#Early_life

Legitimate? If the judiciary were neutral, which they are not (yet), how could they defend dissolving the party with such a mandate from the people? Parliament is the law, and the people have chosen a new parliament haven't they?

Who says the judiciary are not neutral. YOUR opinion only plus the reds of course

The real question is why didn't the Democrats launch these charges & investigation long ago before the election?

Doing it now only cause the the Reds to ban together and be stronger because all their whole group is about banning together to hate. At this point it is better to just let them fight between themselves.

But of course this is no surprise when a country votes to go back in time 5-years and once again allow Thaksin to try to run the country through a puppet. The colors will change but there is little doubt that their will be death and burning in the streets in the not to distant future .... and of course another coup.

Edited by Nisa

His parents where shopkeepers far removed from the old and powerful elite. Look at the colleges they attended very far from the elite. Chinese Elite = born with a silver spoon in their mouth like the last PM. Thasin made the poor feel like real people for the first time in their lives.Like or not they will never forget it.

You mean there's some wishful thinking in this ? If he can rape the countryget rich, we can so too?

The Democrats have clearly a problem with "losing". It's even frustrating for them to admit that Puae Thai is the actual absolute election winner. Not my preference neither but, in democracy you have to play to the rules... Democrats, please admit: you're not the voice of the majority anymore! And whether a clone or Taksin himself is behind all this, it has nothing to do with the will of the people. Even the court will not change this mindset! :annoyed:

Edited by dude007

What a morons. The democrat party corrupted to the bone, getting off on a technicality wants a ban. Only for one single reason to ban Yingluck. I predict a civil war which will be won by the voters of Thailand, which will have no mercy with the Democrat leaders. In any case any party country or organization which bears the word "Democratic" in it, is often authoritarian and has nothing to do with democracy.

Yingluck won't be banned. She is not a party executive.

She will continue to be PM (assuming she's the one PTP plan to elect when parliament resumes).

The Democrats have clearly a problem with "losing". It's even frustrating for them to admit that Puae Thai is the actual absolute election winner. Not my preference neither but, in democracy you have to play to the rules... Democrats, please admit: you're not the voice of the majority anymore! And wheter a clone or Taksin himself is behind all this has nothing to do with the will of the people. Even the court will not change this mindset! :annoyed:

Shouldn't courts be totally objective, and not influenced by outside politics? If PTP broke the law, they broke the law, yes?

Are you saying that "the elite, rich Chinese" Thaksin, that tried to sleep with the military when he appointed is relatives in top posts, is a Democrat?

His parents where shopkeepers far removed from the old and powerful elite. Look at the colleges they attended very far from the elite. Chinese Elite = born with a silver spoon in their mouth like the last PM. Thasin made the poor feel like real people for the first time in their lives.Like or not they will never forget it.

But you're still poor and I'm not. Without you being poor, I'm nothing.

Legitimate? If the judiciary were neutral, which they are not (yet), how could they defend dissolving the party with such a mandate from the people? Parliament is the law, and the people have chosen a new parliament haven't they?

Because they broke the law.

If proved so, nothing more need be said.

A large mandate is not a free pass to break election laws.

Parliament is not the law.

Parliament MAKES laws, and STILL must abide by them as much as everyone else must. Also the new parliament, yet to be confirmed and installed, can not necessarily make laws retroactive to absolve from existing charges.

The "LAW" in Thailand is as malleable as a ball of play dough.

The judiciary are bought and sold.

To say one side is on the right side of the law and the other is not is to deny the practical day to day application of the laws here.

Everyone knows that... except some of the commentators here who prefer to support one side and not another.

It's their squabble... there is no sense or justice at work here.

It's a pantomime, being played out by the super wealthy who feign subservience to the law.

A predictable and legitimate complaint.

The majority of PTP MPs will not be lost of course.

Just parts of the umbrella supporting them.

But the leadership that hadn't pre-resigned, prior to the election to avoid being ousted in the event of this logical filing, will all go bye bye.ANd the control mechanism will be weakened, and that is the likely aim.

I have little doubt that PTP would do EXACTLY the same to them if they thought it would bring advantage.

Legitimate? If the judiciary were neutral, which they are not (yet),

What's your proof for that? They found Thaksin guilty so they can't possibly be neutral? They refused the 2 million baht bribe his lawyers offered on his behalf, so they must be biased?

Or the just thought he was trying to buy them WAY too cheap... ;)

No, that was no option, had they asked for more they would have got it.