Thailand's Democrats Seek Ban On Thaksin Party

webfact

If they insist in going against the public's wishes there will be REVOLUTION.

I understand why they think this way but really the only fair way to conquer this is through education and media teaching people why they should be concerned about a political parties intentions.

Make a movie instead of starting a war.

Or civil war. Look at a map of how the voting went. Totally divided country.

And the Isaan have more people so guess who will win the war. No we do not need nor want a war.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Newin Chidchob was involved in election campaigning for the Democrats, I'm sure PTP would have lodged a complaint by now.

Not involved in campaining for the Democrats but for Bumjaithai. We hear nothing about it because he "owns" the Buriram Province including many "Officials" , that is an open secret in the Isaan.

It didn't do them much good, did it?

But, if it is a problem for someone, they're more than welcome to lodge a complaint.

Memories are very short. Does everyone forget the hugging and general back slapping between Mr. Abhisit and Mr. Chicchob. Double standards once again, hardly a surprise but incredibly boring and as usual showing complete lack of humility in defeat. Where are the "REAL" Thai men?

If Newin Chidchob was involved in election campaigning for the Democrats, I'm sure PTP would have lodged a complaint by now.

Not involved in campaining for the Democrats but for Bumjaithai. We hear nothing about it because he "owns" the Buriram Province including many "Officials" , that is an open secret in the Isaan.

As far as I know any Thai national may file a complaint with the EC, within seven days after the election that is. Interesting that till now none has stepped forward :ermm:

Just a thought - isn't Thaksin's 5 years nearly up? Could this be why the election was called early?

Was it only yesterday that I posted "How long before somebody lodges a complaint against Thaksin's blatant participation?" (or something to that effect)? They call people who ignore court rulings "scoff-laws" and their treatment is often quite harsh. I knew a young lad who continued to drive without a licence - the first offence got him a stiff fine, the others 6 months in the pokey. I don't know if Thai electoral law has such provisions, but I live in hope.

And to think this party calls itself "Democrat." They have absolutely no grasp of the term.

They lost, Puea Thai won with a true voting mandate. Move on.

anyone with a brain saw this coming weeks ago except PTP and Thaksin. He is banned from all politics for 5 years but he still inserted himself into the process,.who broke the law.

My Oh My Mr. Thaksin did but as usual who doesn't care about the laws of Thailand Mr. Thaksin.

It didn't do them much good, did it?

But, if it is a problem for someone, they're more than welcome to lodge a complaint.

The Dems couldn't put this issue up in the past because of Newin being their strongest ally. The PPP/PTP/TRT/whatever is next couldn't do it because he was with them first. Now that it looks as if BJT will be dissolved the Dems can go straight at Thaksin using this tactic.

Memories are very short. Does everyone forget the hugging and general back slapping between Mr. Abhisit and Mr. Chicchob. Double standards once again, hardly a surprise but incredibly boring and as usual showing complete lack of humility in defeat. Where are the "REAL" Thai men?

Is it double standards because the Democrats didn't lodge a complaint?

But the question is, was that actually breaking the law? Pretty grey, I'm sure, but if it was against the law, the PTP would have filed a complaint.

If the Democrats follow this to conclusion then Newins and Barnhans lot should also be banned again. Leaving them with no friends.

The Democrats are just doing the job that the Electoral Commission should have done before the election... Taksin, Barnhan and Newin should have been cautioned at the very least by the EC.

As far as I know any Thai national may file a complaint with the EC, within seven days after the election that is. Interesting that till now none has stepped forward :ermm:

There are better ways to commit suicide

Just a thought - isn't Thaksin's 5 years nearly up? Could this be why the election was called early?

Was it only yesterday that I posted "How long before somebody lodges a complaint against Thaksin's blatant participation?" (or something to that effect)? They call people who ignore court rulings "scoff-laws" and their treatment is often quite harsh. I knew a young lad who continued to drive without a licence - the first offence got him a stiff fine, the others 6 months in the pokey. I don't know if Thai electoral law has such provisions, but I live in hope.

I think I mentioned the apparent illegally of Thaksin's participation in PTP the night of the election. I was surprised there wasn't much discussion about it then. So this new move doesn't surprise me at all.

But the question is, was that actually breaking the law? Pretty grey, I'm sure, but if it was against the law, the PTP would have filed a complaint.

First lots of posters complain the Dem's ask the EC to look into Pheu Thai, next the Dem's get accused not asking the same on BJT who must be their 'friends'. Why didn't ask the Pheu Thai the EC to investigate BJT, those are not friends. Or is Pheu Thai too mild mannered to ask any commission or court to 'look into things' ?

How stupid can you get. Being banned means they cannot serve in office. It doesn't mean they have to wear muzzles on their mouths.

Being banned means that they can't be INVOLVED in politics, NOT only that they cannot serve in office.

Ehem, Newin. Democrat party big clean boss Abhisit giving Newin a good hug after their little backroom deal in 2008. Didn't look like they had any problems

And on the grounds that they have been more active then the actual list candidates. Try to prove that. It would be a shame and another blow to Thailand's international reputation if yet another relatively clean election get overthrown by the judges.

There are better ways to commit suicide

I guess that's why one of the posters asked 'where are the real Thai men' ? Mind you for real 'democracy lovers' nothing is too much. Last year I heard some say 'we will fight till the last drop of yourour blood <_<

Edited by rubl

Ehem, Newin. Democrat party big clean boss Abhisit giving Newin a good hug after their little backroom deal in 2008. Didn't look like they had any problems

And on the grounds that they have been more active then the actual list candidates. Try to prove that. It would be a shame and another blow to Thailand's international reputation if yet another relatively clean election get overthrown by the judges.

The election WON'T be "overthrown". It's doubtful even many MPs will get banned. Yingluck won't be banned.

People who talk about elections being ignored should go back and read what happened when PPP got banned.

Most of the MPs continued on. A PTP (ex-PPP) MP was even acting PM. By-elections were held for all banned constituency MPs, so everyone was still represented.

The problem for PPP (PTP) was that they lost the support of some of their factions and their coalition parties. That's why they lost government.

In this case, it is very unlikely that the new-PTP will lose government, especially since the MPs won't need to be electing a new PM (assuming that banning won't be done for a few months yet), and they will still most likely have a majority AND the support of enough coalition partners.

Legacy admission. His Big Rich Powerful Daddy went there. Thaksin isn't American and had no family legacy at elite American schools, so your point is totally irrelevant.

Now the next thing you will tell me Chelsea Clinton got into Stanford and her Rhodes Scholarship because of her Daddy. :lol:

Nope. She was a brilliant student. W. Bush wasn't. What's your point?

My point is! Let enjoy this beautiful country. We are their guest it is their country and lets not even have crap like this on this forum. We can not vote and have no say!

I do not know about you Jingthing I have the most wonderful Thai wife and the most wonderful life here and it hurts me to see the division here. Hope no offence to you and this will be my last post here forever.

Quitter.

If it can damage Thaksin's hopes to return to Thailand, to be pardoned, to return to power, and to keep him from controlling Thailand in absentia, without overturning the elections, many would argue it is a very good idea.

Edited by Jingthing

How stupid can you get. Being banned means they cannot serve in office. It doesn't mean they have to wear muzzles on their mouths.

Being banned means that they can't be INVOLVED in politics, NOT only that they cannot serve in office.

"Relatively clean" - nice phrase, but inaccurate when you consider Thaksin's blatant involvement. I will laugh myself silly if they both get shown the red card.

"'The Democrats don't respect the people's decision. More than 16 million voted for Puea Thai,' deputy party leader Plodprasob Suraswadi said."

They always come out with this line, as if winning an election whitewashes any type of criminal activity. I don't think that getting Puea Thai banned would be much more than an administrative hiccup for them, since the key players aren't on the executive committee. However, from a legal point of view, there seems very little doubt that Thaksin was actively involved in their campaign. His name was even included in their slogans.

I guess that the Democrats are not really so interested in getting Puea Thai dissolved. It is more likely that they want to get a case under way with the Constitutional Court that will make it more difficult to abrogate the 2007 constitution and declare all litigation stemming from its provisions as null and void. With an ongoing case, they are vulnerable to accusations of conflict of interest.

If the democrats were interested in reconciliation for Thailand, then they would not have filed this.

The most pertinent statement so far!

That's exactly why the election was called before the bans expire. With Thaksin and 105 TRT heavyweights banned until October and several other eloquent chaps detained without trial this seemed the ideal moment for the Democrats to sneak a victory - unfortunately for them, they hadn't reckoned with K. Yingluck - or their own bankrupt policies.

So now they're going to get their friends in the judiciary (all part of the same Bangkok elite of course) to steal power from the poeple again!

Edited by millwall_fan

First lots of posters complain the Dem's ask the EC to look into Pheu Thai, next the Dem's get accused not asking the same on BJT who must be their 'friends'. Why didn't ask the Pheu Thai the EC to investigate BJT, those are not friends. Or is Pheu Thai too mild mannered to ask any commission or court to 'look into things' ?

:) Newin won't be an issue. PTP couldn't whine about him because of the "Friends of Newin" faction of PPP. The Dems couldn't take this shot until the complaint that will likely disband BJT was filed. (Hitting at Thaksin would have required them hitting at Newin up until this week.

I thought the people have chosen already ? In all "Democracy" voice of people is usually legitimate . I understand they might be disappointed but I don think it will help to reunited Thais. :annoyed:

The point is, that if PTP has committed a dissolvable infraction, then it is totally legitimate to dissolve them,

If the party has NOT, then there should be no worries for them.

Historically they have screwed up. And considering the public extolling of banned players in their midst, this doesn't bode well. I have wondered when they would learn from past mistakes, we will now see if they have or not.

You know, the time to take them to court has passed. To do this now is just sour grapes. They lost the election big time; this action is just an insult to the people of Thailand. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted with the abuses of power that have been shown the last few years, and this is just another example.

People are missing the larger picture here about what this is all about. It is still mostly about Thaksin and what he does, what he is allowed to do. This will determine whether there will be more coups, more street anarchy, or total civil war. He has already gone well beyond normal actions. His role in Black Songkran, the Burning of Bangkok, and now the most blatant proxy campaign (while being banned, while being a criminal fugitive) any fiction writer could even construct. Very strong forces, not only the demo party, seriously (and rationally from their point of view) don't want him running the country as a puppet master, and even more so don't want him to come back to take power directly.

Mate... you really are dreaming.

no-one thinks like that, 'cept maybe a few old ex-pats.

The military are what this is about.

The vietnam war gave the military its raison d'etre (guardian of democracy) and by proxy the key to the safe (resources, state partnerships etc.)

Just have a look at the wealthiest list... lot of retired generals in there.

There's no way they're going to give it up any time soon.

Thaksin attempted it.... and look where it got him.

As long as PT keep to the script, it's all plain sailing.

If they insist in going against the public's wishes there will be REVOLUTION.

I understand why they think this way but really the only fair way to conquer this is through education and media teaching people why they should be concerned about a political parties intentions.

Make a movie instead of starting a war.

Or civil war. Look at a map of how the voting went. Totally divided country.

Yeah and that big, red mushroom in the north is about thrice as big as its stem to the south.

If the democrats were interested in reconciliation for Thailand, then they would not have filed this.

If PTP were interested in reconciliation, they wouldn't keep on ignoring the law.

That's exactly why the election was called before the bans expire. With Thaksin and 105 TRT heavyweights banned until October and several other eloquent chaps detained without trial this seemed the ideal moment for the Democrats to sneak a victory - unfortunately for them, they hadn't reckoned with K. Yingluck - or their own bankrupt policies.

So now they're going to get their friends in the judiciary (all part of the same Bangkok elite of course) to steal power from the poeple again!

The people were represented after the PPP were banned. These people gave their power to the MPs.

It was the MPs that the people elected that decided not to support PTP (ex-PPP).

The bans on the TRT executive board members expire on 31st May 2012, not October 2011. So it was necessary to call for an election before they expired anyway. The ban on Thaksin as a TRT executive board member will end next May but his ban for being convicted of a criminal offence will only end 5 years after he has finished serving his sentence.

And on the grounds that they have been more active then the actual list candidates. Try to prove that. It would be a shame and another blow to reputation if yet another relatively clean election get overthrown by the judges.

It's a legit beef coming from the Democrats if they, the banned party, played a part in they election in anyway.

INCORRECT.

The ban of TRT executives including k. Thaksin started with the court decision May 30, 2007. So still valid till the 30th of May 2012. The House (PM Abhisit's government) had to be dissolved 23rd of December 2011 at the latest with new General Elections within 45/60 days. That still leaves out those banned TRT executives.

(http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1626711,00.html on the court dissolution of the country's former ruling party TRT)

Edited by rubl