Exceptional New Vegetarian Eatery

uptoyoumyfriend

just recently i noticed a vegetarian restaurant that is too good to be true.the food is traditional thai dishes but all vegetarian and carefully and deliciously prepared.the menu is big (thai)and on every page is a picture not only of the food but also of the cooking and the ingredients which makes the ordering easy enough.the place is squeaky clean and inexpensive and the service friendly.there is also food at the counter ready to eat .i only worry they won't make it if not more people eat there.its easy enough to find just in the building south (towards lampang) of the bake mart on the same side on 106 between superhighway and 89 store and you recognize it by the yellow sign with red lettering that is typical for veg retaurants.open every day x-cept s all sunday from 6 to 17.00 hrs

it changed hands a couple months back

and no-i am not a shareholder.

it's exclusively run by thai women as far as i could see.rolleyes.gif

Hi uptoyoumyfriend

Does it (the restaurant), or the building it's in, have a name?

I'm not sure many will find it, or even venture out to look, going by your description above, unless of course they are familiar with the area. It's always a good idea when someone 'highly recommends' a new eating establishment to make sure that finding it is literally a piece of cake.

Aitch

There has been a veg place there for a long time, but not the crisp clean place with nice menu that you describe.. Is it still a small shop-house eatery, with the kitchen out front?

Directions seem clear enough; Old Lamphun Road, South of Nong Hoy Intersection (Aom Muang Rd overpass), Before you get to 89 Plaza.. How hard is that.

Will definitely visit.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Directions seem clear enough; Old Lamphun Road, South of Nong Hoy Intersection (Aom Muang Rd overpass), Before you get to 89 Plaza.. How hard is that.

You're right, it's a piece of cake for anyone new to Chiang Mai, or unfamiliar with the area and its surrounding roads. And who needs a name of either shop or building when there's a yellow sign (big, small, or hidden?), to dazzle in the distance! I can just see tuk-tuk congestion as hot, frustrated visitors to CM try to locate the joint with the above 'directions' scribbled onto the back of fag packet! Ha, ha, ha, lol :)

C'mon WTK, get a grip of yourself ;) The OP seemed to be encouraging all and sundry to support the place and not just long-term expats accustomed to CM's infrastructure.

Aitch

This is Thaivisa; it's for expats. For tourism there is Tripadvisor.com. And I don't think tourists would venture out that far anyway. (Though they should, of course. If only to visit Wiang Khum Kam.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hi uptoyoumyfriend

Does it (the restaurant), or the building it's in, have a name?

I'm not sure many will find it, or even venture out to look, going by your description above, unless of course they are familiar with the area. It's always a good idea when someone 'highly recommends' a new eating establishment to make sure that finding it is literally a piece of cake.

Aitch

In cases like this I ask myself why folks don't simply use coordinates. It's so easy: Open Google earth, look from above where the place is, note the coordinates shown at the lower end of the satelite picture and - voila - it's a piece of cake for almost all people to find the exact location. I for myself will hardly drive 20 km on a vague discription.

BTW - at least 90% of our farang and also some of our Thai friends use GPS units.

In cases like this I ask myself why folks don't simply use coordinates. It's so easy: Open Google earth, look from above where the place is, note the coordinates shown at the lower end of the satelite picture and - voila - it's a piece of cake for almost all people to find the exact location. I for myself will hardly drive 20 km on a vague discription.

BTW - at least 90% of our farang and also some of our Thai friends use GPS units

Who needs one of those new-fangled GPS units when all you have to do is turn left on the second soi after the barking dog and then look for a small but tidy place with an yellow sign?

BTW - at least 90% of our farang and also some of our Thai friends use GPS units

Who needs one of those new-fangled GPS units when all you have to do is turn left on the second soi after the barking dog and then look for a small but tidy place with an yellow sign?

Take my comment - at least in this thread - as a simple suggestion as it was meant. To discuss the sense or nonsense of new-fangled technical achievements you may open a new thread.

But to answer your question: Most people don't need them but they make the search for locations more efficient. Coordinates prevent misunderstandings and unnecessary inquieries.

It's the one with a puddle outside, after it rains. :rolleyes:

directions again take 106 south out of chiang mai towards Lampang ,thats the road that stars along the river with the big trees later on.past nong hoi area and past the superhighwy obverpass about 0.5 k on the left is the bakemart,a big tan building with a parking ramp out front, the next building also on the left has a number of shops it is maybe the second or third of those.if you come to miguels or 89 store you have gone too far turn around..and yae there was a similar but very different veg rest there before it changed hands.bon apetit.rolleyes.gif

i will try to take a pic and upload it !

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

directions again take 106 south out of chiang mai towards Lampang ,thats the road that stars along the river with the big trees later on.past nong hoi area and past the superhighwy obverpass about 0.5 k on the left is the bakemart,a big tan building with a parking ramp out front, the next building also on the left has a number of shops it is maybe the second or third of those.if you come to miguels or 89 store you have gone too far turn around..and yae there was a similar but very different veg rest there before it changed hands.bon apetit.rolleyes.gif

Any chance that you could pinpoint it on Google Maps?

unforunately my internet connection does not support google maps its too slow.

but how hard is it really to take 106 from rimping along the ping past holiday inn etc. past the superhighway to the giant bake mart ?

also the tree ,one of them really big ones with a orange ribbon around it that are numbered all the way from lampang to cm has the number (red) 924.

the place is a thai restaurant there might be a name but it is all thai and i do not read thai.sorry.

Seriously, how did people used to find things 7 years ago?

18.754983, 99.008508

The directions in the OP were sufficient, and his follow up were good enough for a woman to follow.

Seriously, how did people used to find things 7 years ago?

Ahh. . the good old days, when everyone was born with all knowledge about all roads in every section of every town. I don't really understand why there turned out to be such a market for things like Google Maps and GPS units when things were just fine before them. What problem did they solve? Ditto for calculators and computers - my Dad did just fine with a slide rule, why isn't that good enough for people now?

I agree. I don't know anyone who uses them - Thai or farang. C.M. is a small town. It's easy enough to find places.

I agree. I don't know anyone who uses them - Thai or farang. C.M. is a small town. It's easy enough to find places.

I can honestly say that 0% of my farang or Thai friends in Thailand use or need a GPS. I have a friend in UK, whose job entails hundreds of miles driving to see customers, she finds it invaluable......but that's different to teensy weensy Chiang Mai.

I don't have a GPS but think that they are very useful.

I think virtually every farang living in Chiang Mai has a computer connected to the internet. If you can read this forum you have access to Google Maps. What a powerful tool!

Getting exact coordinates of any particular place in Google Maps is really easy, without having to write anything down.

Suppose I want to make it easy for you to find Gecko Garden in Google Maps. Here is what I have to do:

1. Find the location of Gecko Garden on the map of Chiang Mai and move the pointer to that location

2. Right click on the point to open the context menu

3. Choose What's here? in the menu

4. You should see a green arrow pointer at the location on the map and something like 18.781029,98.998489 in the box above the map.

To use the latitude,longitude coordinates just drag across them in the box (this is called select the text) and use Ctrl-c to copy.

You can then use Ctrl-v to paste the coordinates into your post, message or whatever.

To then use the coordinates that have been posted:

1. Drag across the coordinates given in the post (in my example 18.781029,98.998489) and copy with Ctrl-c

2, Click into Google Maps (or start it if not already running)

3. Click inside the box at the top and press Ctrl-v to paste the coordinates

4. Press the Enter key and the green pointer arrow appears to show you the location of Gecko Garden.

It may sound very complicated to some of you out there but just try going through the steps and I think you will see that it is really straightforward and absolutely precise. This powerful tool is already in your hands. Why not use it?

It takes all the guess work out of locating a particular establishment.