Naming Of Thailand On New US Terror Risk List Worrying

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL

Naming of Thailand on new US terror risk list worrying

By The Nation

New govt should take a realistic view of latest rating: remain alert, watchful.

A recent announcement by the US Department of Homeland Security said that Thailand will be on a new terrorism-risk list. The department has classified Thailand among countries that are known to "promote, produce or protect terrorist organisations or their members".

Spokeswoman for the department Gillian Christensen said in a written statement that countries "may have been included on the list because of the backgrounds of arrestees, not because of the country's government itself".

Along with Thailand, three other US allies placed on the risk list are Egypt, Israel and the Philippines. In all there are 36 countries on this list of so-called Specially Designated Countries (SDCs) that "promote, produce, or protect terrorists".

Citizens from countries on this list who wish to travel to the US will be required to submit to a new "Third Agency Check". In real terms, it could very well mean additional security check or possibly stricter rules for Thai citizens requesting visas to the US.

Already there are numerous complaints about the difficulty of getting just a visa appointment with the US Embassy personnel. The red tape, the waiting list and the humiliating feeling of being rejected are some of the usual complaints. So much that Note Udom, a well known Thai comedian, even jokes about it.

As of now, what we know is that, according to the Department of Homeland Security, "The purpose of the additional screening is to determine whether other agencies have an interest in the alien."

Foreign Ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi was reported as saying he was "surprised", because Thailand has consistently cooperated with the US on counter-terrorism efforts.

While no one can say that this will make Thailand look good, the government should be realistic about it. The list is not a criticism of the government's effort or handling of the global war on terrorism. It basically said there were activities in the 36 countries that needed watching.

Following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the US, the then Thai government took a very selfish approach, maintaining that there were no terrorist cells operating in the country. The same line was employed even in the aftermath of the October 2002 terrorist attacks in Bali. The attack killed 202 people. While Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and the Philippines were hunting down members of the Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), the Southeast Asia-based terrorist organisation, Thailand presented itself as being above it all, as if the country were, for some strange reason, an exception.

Thailand's denial was influenced by the government desire for tourist money. Our leaders understood the negative consequences, so they stood firm, insisting that Thailand was not a safe haven for international terrorists, following exposure in a string of Western media.

And then all of a sudden, in June 2003, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra dropped a bomb, announcing the arrest of three Thai citizens accused of being JI members. It came as a big surprise to many, given the fact that Thailand had consistently dismissed mounting reports in the local and international media linking the country to global terrorism. The charges against the three were eventually dropped on the ground of insufficient evidence.

The fact that the announcement came on the eve of Thaksin's meeting with US President George W Bush, however, raised the question of whether the prime minister was doing the right thing for wrong reasons.

And then in August 2003, Hambali, a JI operative who is also a member of al Qaeda, was arrested in Ayutthya in a pre-dawn raid by Thai Special Branch and American CIA agents. The event was testimony to the fact that Thailand was no different and just as vulnerable as any other country in the region.

Today, we are living in a world where counter-terrorism measures have affected all of us. Longer queues at immigration counters, lengthy security checks at airports, and the profiling of citizens from various countries. It's no longer the action of a government that dictates the policy of another country. Terrorists know no borders and the recent US terrorism risk list is a sad reflection of the world we live in.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-10

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

countries that are known to "promote, produce or protect terrorist organisations or their members".

Could this be reference to red shirt leaders that are now in government?

You are correct, in a way - it appears that, amongst other factors, the americans base this watch list on "evidence" of terrorists being arrested in the country. As Abhisit and Co. were so keen on labelling every red shirt and his dog as a "terrorist", and despite there being no convictions, Thailand is now reaping the "benefit" and has become a Terror Risk. Just one more example of the "democrats" looking after the interests of the country.

countries that are known to "promote, produce or protect terrorist organisations or their members".

You are correct, in a way - it appears that, amongst other factors, the americans base this watch list on "evidence" of terrorists being arrested in the country. As Abhisit and Co. were so keen on labelling every red shirt and his dog as a "terrorist", and despite there being no convictions, Thailand is now reaping the "benefit" and has become a Terror Risk. Just one more example of the "democrats" looking after the interests of the country.

But most red shirt supporting posters have lead me to believe that the international community ignored the previous governments labeling of the red shirts as terrorists?

Which one is it?

The USA (my home country) is becoming more and more a police state. You get a cavity search to enter the public libraryannoyed.gif

They have libraries? People go to them? I'll head off to the library the next time I am getting ready for airport screening. Sounds like a good place for a dry run. (I am American too, by the way).

Over 4,000 people killed and even more injured in almost daily attacks since 2004, not really a surprise.

I don't think that actually falls into the category of:

The USA (my home country) is becoming more and more a police state. You get a cavity search to enter the public libraryannoyed.gif

They have libraries? People go to them? I'll head off to the library the next time I am getting ready for airport screening. Sounds like a good place for a dry run. (I am American too, by the way).

Uh ... what's your point? You must not have been there in awhile.

Over 4,000 people killed and even more injured in almost daily attacks since 2004, not really a surprise.

But I guess attempting to give amnesty to a convicted fugitive wanted on terrorism charges does.

It falls under producing them. The government doesn't promote or protect them, but they are from here. There is a domestic source of Islamist terrorists that could be recruited to launch attacks against the US, so they go on the list

Exactly

Not only protect them but elect them to positions in the government where they are immune to prosecution.

That being said one must consider the fact that they the states are paranoid anyhow.

And believe it or not Canada is worse.

It falls under producing them. The government doesn't promote or protect them, but they are from here. There is a domestic source of Islamist terrorists that could be recruited to launch attacks against the US, so they go on the list

My original thoughts were that the "produce" referred to "produced by (or with complicit knowledge of) the government".

But, I suppose, given that the listing on the terrorist watch list is so that the US can do extra checks, "produce" could mean "home grown" and have nothing to do with the government.

Which raises the questions, why did it take so long?

Millionaires are becoming billionaires; but the middle class is on the way out.:( They expect trouble ahead.

Probably the American way to prepare for the intervention of the American military as the idea of Democracy in Thailand isn't in line with the views of the American military and business leaders.

Don't worry chaps, we'll all be liberated (at a cost ) when the Americans return. overtly to the scene rather than covertly.

More Obama's administration's idiocy. :crazy:

The fact that the announcement came on the eve of Thaksin's meeting with US President George W Bush, however, raised the question of whether the prime minister was doing the right thing for wrong reasons.

It's true that some sack of rice fell down in China last night.....:jap:

Millionaires are becoming billionaires; but the middle class is on the way out.:( They expect trouble ahead.

I’m sorry to say that your homeland is pretty much bankrupt and Americans should stop playing the world police. The times are over, now you could say: “If you can’t make in New York, you could get killed in Detroit.” More crack for the politicians………….:jap:

This piece of 'reportage' by The Nation, and by extension, by ThaiVisa is irresponsible and potentially inflammatory.

The actual document, if any of the 'reporters' would care to, or be able to, read it says:

"ICE provided this list of specially designated countries. ICE

policy requires officers to perform a TAC for
detained
aliens from

these countries. "
Italics mine.

There is no reference to a "Third Agency Check" for visa applicants, or other legal travelers to the USA.

Since I hear how difficult it is for Thais to travel to the US, and that 'fact' is used as a justification for the byzantine Thai Immigration procedures so frequently, this kind of disinformation merely provides grist for the mill of xenophobia.

And as for the geniuses who keep referring to the possibility that the US is aiming at Red Shirts with this policy: are you even conscious? Have you heard of Muslim separatists in the South, killing Buddhist monks, teachers, and beheading folks? The appear as yet unaligned with JI or Al Qaeda, but they are terrorists, pure and simple. For the US to be interested, we are not talking about dirty Thai politics, which, although it appears new to newbies, has been going on for decades. I'm sure, other than the effect on global markets (read, nil), the US DHS doesn't even know the Reds exist.

Honestly, what a yellow rag The Nation has become. Unfortunately, most here are too lazy or too stupid to look past it.

This piece of 'reportage' by The Nation, and by extension, by ThaiVisa is irresponsible and potentially inflammatory.

The actual document, if any of the 'reporters' would care to, or be able to, read it says:

detained
aliens from

these countries. "
Italics mine.

There is no reference to a "Third Agency Check" for visa applicants, or other legal travelers to the USA.

Since I hear how difficult it is for Thais to travel to the US, and that 'fact' is used as a justification for the byzantine Thai Immigration procedures so frequently, this kind of disinformation merely provides grist for the mill of xenophobia.

And as for the geniuses who keep referring to the possibility that the US is aiming at Red Shirts with this policy: are you even conscious? Have you heard of Muslim separatists in the South, killing Buddhist monks, teachers, and beheading folks? The appear as yet unaligned with JI or Al Qaeda, but they are terrorists, pure and simple. For the US to be interested, we are not talking about dirty Thai politics, which, although it appears new to newbies, has been going on for decades. I'm sure, other than the effect on global markets (read, nil), the US DHS doesn't even know the Reds exist.

Honestly, what a yellow rag The Nation has become. Unfortunately, most here are too lazy or too stupid to look past it.

good points, however raiding International Airports is considered terrorism in many countries. I don't think? Thailand is a signator to that convention tho, last time I checked. In Thailand it's only considered a political rally. < anybody who thinks and acts like that, along with taking over the Govedrnment building, attacking an ASEAN confererence in Pattaya or occupying and burning a whole downtown area should all be on a no travel list to 'nearly' civilised countries,

detained
aliens from

these countries. "
Italics mine.

What does Thai immigration have to do with people getting visas to travel to the US?

If the new listing is related to the south, why did it take so long? Is it just a coincidence that the listing comes so soon after an election that puts alleged terrorists in the government?

good points, however raiding International Airports is considered terrorism in many countries. I don't think? Thailand is a signator to that convention tho, last time I checked. In Thailand it's only considered a political rally. < anybody who thinks and acts like that, along with taking over the Govedrnment building, attacking an ASEAN confererence in Pattaya or occupying and burning a whole downtown area should all be on a no travel list to 'nearly' civilised countries,

A signatory to which convention? I would have thought that all of those issues would be covered under the law of the individual country.

Probably the American way to prepare for the intervention of the American military as the idea of Democracy in Thailand isn't in line with the views of the American military and business leaders.

Don't worry chaps, we'll all be liberated (at a cost ) when the Americans return. overtly to the scene rather than covertly.

What a typically ignorant, opportunistic, and utterly poisonous comment. So many pathetic little pipsqueaks taking potshots, hoping for the like-minded to '+1' their moronic spewing.

While I'm no fan of what has happened in the US since 2001, nor of it's current direction, it would be good to remember that many of the whining little losers would be marching in line with their comrade's boot in their a**, both here, and in Europe, if not for the US. Whether it will weather the current storm or not, if you don't like melamine in your milk, or MiG flybys of your fishing boats, you had better hope it does. Learning Mandarin won't be enough.

I'm truly sorry for those so embittered by their own plight, that the only way they can feel better is to bite the hand that has so generously fed them. Fortunately, throughout history, Americans have generally NOT taken their marbles, and left the game.

Out.