Smith Pub & Restaurant On Chang Klan Rd.

NancyL

Today Hubby and I are recovering from a great night out at a Smith Pub & Restaurant, a new place on Chang Klan Rd., just across from the Park Hotel. Despite the name, it is very much a Thai night spot. Cheap, cheap prices, attentive staff keeping the glasses always full, wonderful Thai food and the price for chang beer is great -- 3 large bottles for 129 baht. They have similarly good prices for beer towers, pitchers, etc. A Thai friend with us said they have a special every Wednesday night that really brings in the Thai people -- four people can share one bottle of 100 pipers for 100 baht. Yup, that's right one bottle of whiskey for 100 baht.

Last night they had three bands, each did a set of 45 min - 1 hr and they played recorded music between the sets. The songs were mostly popular Thai pop, Thai pop from the 1970s and they did a very good job with a few American/British songs from the 1960s - 1970s. I think they have bands every night. Certainly they do on Wednesday nights when the place is packed with the people enjoying the 100 pipers special.

The Thai food was some of the best I've had here in CM.

It was a very fun evening for an amazingly good price.

..Nancyl.....is the place rowdy with those "CentrePoint" kids, I don't want to go for a urine test during police raids...

Oh my goodness, I didn't see anything especially rowdy, nor did anyone appear to be a teenager. Don't know about how it is on Wednesdays during their 100 baht for a bottle of whiskey night. Maybe someone can visit on Wednesday evening and report. The manager said the place had been open for only 33 days, so perhaps you're confusing it with another place in the area.

Edited by NancyL

..Nancyl.....is the place rowdy with those "CentrePoint" kids, I don't want to go for a urine test during police raids...

Oh my goodness, I didn't see anything especially rowdy, nor did anyone appear to be a teenager. Don't know about how it is on Wednesdays during their 100 baht for a bottle of whiskey night. Maybe someone can visit on Wednesday evening and report. The manager said the place had been open for only 33 days, so perhaps you're confusing it with another place in the area.

Shame about the thai food but the 100 pipers deal sounds good to me

Techno, I don't understand your comment about the food. The food was fantastic. As I said in my OP.

Number & quality of the staff / beer ladies? This seemed missing from your review.

So sorry to have left out this important point. From my standpoint, I don't really care just so someone keeps my glass full all the time! Actually, one of their waiters was pretty cute. Otherwise, there was a Chang girl, in the regulation uniform and several other waitresses that could have been Chang girls if they'd only had that dress. Actually, it was a fairly slow evening and all the patrons received more than adequate attention. I expect they bring in reinforcment troops for their busy Wednesday night. I wonder if they have "100 Piper girls" like they do beer girls?

Number & quality of the staff / beer ladies? This seemed missing from your review.

So sorry to have left out this important point. From my standpoint, I don't really care just so someone keeps my glass full all the time! Actually, one of their waiters was pretty cute. Otherwise, there was a Chang girl, in the regulation uniform and several other waitresses that could have been Chang girls if they'd only had that dress. Actually, it was a fairly slow evening and all the patrons received more than adequate attention. I expect they bring in reinforcment troops for their busy Wednesday night. I wonder if they have "100 Piper girls" like they do beer girls?

It would seem they exist but not sure if they have them at Smiths

post-35045-0-53059400-1310373332_thumb.j

It would seem they exist but not sure if they have them at Smiths

Those outfits don't really do them justice, do they? The Chang girl looked much more stately in her figure-hugging tight white dress. She wasn't all hunched over, either. Much better posture.

Also conspicuously missing from the review was a detailed assessment of the restroom facilities. Where they up to standard?

-Mestizo

Techno, I don't understand your comment about the food. The food was fantastic. As I said in my OP.

Maybe he is not a fan of Thai food?

After seeing this review online we decided to give Smith Pub and Restaurant a try last night.

Got my 3 Chang Beers for 129 baht.

The food menu starts at 39 baht for full meal such as Chicken Fried Rice and about 20 other dishes.

Huge menu with a lot of choices.

Deep Fried Peanuts and Fries are also on the menu.

We got there sort of early 6 p.m. First live band started playing at 7 p.m. Very good RELAXING Music,

NOT blasting your head off like many places.

To Answer the question of one poster... YES the bathrooms are very nice and CLEAN. Western Style and all new equipment.

Highly recommend this place for FOOD, Drink, Music and the Bathroom.

Thanks for the Post to let us know about your new find.

Gonna bring the gang tonight and try it out. Funny how things always come around. The structure has been there for years and was always a middle of the road restaurant in my opinion. Sounds like the new management has improved things. Watch out for the rumble of V twins LOL

• 1 month later...

After seeing this place mentioned on ThaiVIsa, I made the mental note to remember it next time the husband and I wanted something new.

This place is fantastic! All of the food we had was incredible (pad see ew seafood, fried mushrooms, stir-fried asparagus, and shrimp fried rice) and the beer deal is great (129 for 3 large Chang classic, only 109 for three of the Draught or Light). My husband could not believe how tasty the food was.

We were there at 7 pm on Friday night, though, and there were only two other tables of people there the entire time we ate. We left shortly before 9. It was raining, though, so maybe it kept any sort of crowd away? Regardless, the security guard held an umbrella over our head while we prepared our rain coats, etc, for the bike ride home. Very nice. No band, pretty dead.

And the music was LOUD. I saw it mentioned that it wasn't loud, but I disagree. We were almost yelling at each other in conversation.

Not enough to keep us away, though. This is a new, affordable, favorite.

The structure has been there for years and was always a middle of the road restaurant in my opinion.

Not been down that way in a while.... Is this place where Sylom Joy used to be? Another poster mentioned it above, but AFAIK Sylom Joy has been closed for ages - I think moved elsewhere. Had some good times there way back when.

I took a couple of friends there a few weeks ago on a Wednesday night having remembered the post by Nancy and the Wednesday special, arrived about 8pm and there were no customers. Went across the road to Samo (drinks promotions there are not what they used to be) for a couple of drinks, returned at 10pm to see if had livened up but there was still nobody there.

There used to be a very popular place there which shut down about a year ago. No idea why it closed down. Also a few bars on the left between Smiths and the RattiLanna Hotel have also disappeared, including one run by an English guy and his wife. It was a nice little area of bars a couple of years ago, but now only Samo and the deserted Smith Pub remain.

• 3 months later...

I took a couple of friends there a few weeks ago on a Wednesday night having remembered the post by Nancy and the Wednesday special, arrived about 8pm and there were no customers. Went across the road to Samo (drinks promotions there are not what they used to be) for a couple of drinks, returned at 10pm to see if had livened up but there was still nobody there.

There used to be a very popular place there which shut down about a year ago. No idea why it closed down. Also a few bars on the left between Smiths and the RattiLanna Hotel have also disappeared, including one run by an English guy and his wife. It was a nice little area of bars a couple of years ago, but now only Samo and the deserted Smith Pub remain.

This English guy and his wife are now on the kamphaeng ding Rd.

look for the sign Citirin , truly a very nice guy

1322802693[/url]' post='4885992']
1313932016[/url]' post='4640579']

Is this Nick and Nit, you speak about? I'm out of town at the moment and haven't been to their new place. Are they still open late for the football?

Is this Nick and Nit, you speak about? I'm out of town at the moment and haven't been to their new place. Are they still open late for the football?

Yes Nick is his name and he is open till very late or early morning,