British Open Competition

potters

Ok Golf experts here is a quick competition for you.

WHO WILL WIN THIS WEEKS BRITISH OPEN

You have 2 chance here as we will go for the top Asian Tour Player

and top player overall.

The prize is a meal at my friends new restaurant opening on Thong Lor Soi 10 at the beginning of August

BANGKOK BURGER COMPANY

Soory the post is a bit late but depending on your selections Tee off times you should

have until about 3pm.

I will check your selections Tee Off against your post time

i dont want someone selecting when there man is -4.

So my selections are :huh:

Top Asian Tour Player

Tetsui Hiratsuka

Overall player

Padraig Harrington

Get the selections in guys it will add some interest this weekend.

If no one selects the winner it will be the top placed in each catagory.

Potters :D

My pick for Asian Tour player is two fold:

1. K J Choi is an Honorary member of the tour and he would be my first pick.

2. If honorary members are not allowed by your rules then I would choose Thongchai Jaidee.

My pick for top top overall player is a real dark horse...Chad Campbell. He has played well lately, is from Texas and knows how to play in the wind. The last point will likely be very important at Sandwich. Now you may laugh at my long shot.

Jaidee with Choi a close second.

I feel that the Thai is more adaptable and this course can, and will be, a thug. It is quite literaly on the seashore and is very exposed to the eleents, especially the winds from the sea.

My home in England is in nearby Broadstairs, where I like to stay in the summertime. I have played Royal St. George's three times. Each time the wind has been horrendous, blowing the ball into the unforgiving rough with consumate ease.

My handicap is an unimpressive eighteen. I never broke one hundred there and was always generous with myself re: lost balls. We contested that, as there were no spectators to see and there was no time to look, with a foursome up our collective bum, then a free drop was allowable. Naughty.

Winner: Justin Rose, who has been striking the ball well in tUS of late. He is one of a few English players (Westwood, Donald, Casey, Poulter, Fisher) who are due a major, sooner rather than later. It would be a pity if England never matched this rich vein of talent with a few major wins.

Runner up: Matt Kucher. Never underestimate the Americans in big competitions.

I will be there (Sandwich) every day, so I will post a small report.

Jaidee with Choi a close second.

I feel that the Thai is more adaptable and this course can, and will be, a thug. It is quite literaly on the seashore and is very exposed to the eleents, especially the winds from the sea.

My home in England is in nearby Broadstairs, where I like to stay in the summertime. I have played Royal St. George's three times. Each time the wind has been horrendous, blowing the ball into the unforgiving rough with consumate ease.

My handicap is an unimpressive eighteen. I never broke one hundred there and was always generous with myself re: lost balls. We contested that, as there were no spectators to see and there was no time to look, with a foursome up our collective bum, then a free drop was allowable. Naughty.

Winner: Justin Rose, who has been striking the ball well in tUS of late. He is one of a few English players (Westwood, Donald, Casey, Poulter, Fisher) who are due a major, sooner rather than later. It would be a pity if England never matched this rich vein of talent with a few major wins.

Runner up: Matt Kucher. Never underestimate the Americans in big competitions.

I will be there (Sandwich) every day, so I will post a small report.

The reports would be great from a man on the spot especially weather updates.

Yep if the wind blows i always say never look past europe for your winner.

Potters

It's a bitch today. Dull, a hint of rain and quite windy.

The wind, however, is less strong than yesterday. It will still have an influence on performances.

Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer thrive in bad conditions.

Edited by Beechboy

Rory- again- maybe!

I hope not. Nothing against Rory, but I never like to see one player become dominant in any sport. It becomes less interesting. For me, there was something missing enjoyment-wise when Woods was winning everything. I always wished him misfortune, but he seemed to get the opposite eg. that chip in the play-off against DiMarco in the Masters a few years back.

Schumacher's dominance of F1 turned me off that sport for a while.

The weather is getting slightly worse with more wind and rain. The later starters will be at a disadvantage. I am going there then.

From TV at the moment, Els looks very solid and calm. Maybe too old a head though.

Donald looks superb, just birdied the third. Rory two over par after three and looks shaky.

Rory- again- maybe!

I hope not. Nothing against Rory, but I never like to see one player become dominant in any sport. It becomes less interesting. For me, there was something missing enjoyment-wise when Woods was winning everything. I always wished him misfortune, but he seemed to get the opposite eg. that chip in the play-off against DiMarco in the Masters a few years back.

Schumacher's dominance of F1 turned me off that sport for a while.

The weather is getting slightly worse with more wind and rain. The later starters will be at a disadvantage. I am going there then.

From TV at the moment, Els looks very solid and calm. Maybe too old a head though.

Donald looks superb, just birdied the third. Rory two over par after three and looks shaky.

Great updates Beechboy.

What a day yesterday especially for Bjorn.

Not even playing until V.J. drooped out on Monday and then takes

the Open by the scruff of the neck along with the amatuer Lewis.

Boys Own stuff makes for compelling viewing.

My selections got battered but really plesed

to see Hua Hin native Prom Meesawat playing well.

Nice guy i posted him on Facebook and he replied.

Lets see what today brings.

Potters

Very pleasant weather this am. Warm and not too windy. Most players made the most of the conditions, keeping their scores steady at the least.

Thomas Bjorn is having a bit of a mare of a start, and is now two over. Tom Lewis has also dropped a couple, but has not folded under the pressure by any means and does not miss the cut with a round of 74 (-1).

Tom Watson slipped to one over.

A few American golfers are moving up there. Simon Dyson has been the hottest home player, Westwood at four over might miss the cut.

Weather due to turn for the worse as the day progresses. Wind from 15 mph may well reach 25 mph. So it will get harder except for those holes where it blows from behind.

Leader could be -5 or -6 at the end of the day's play.

Cigar smokers have it today.

I don't know what they put in those things nowadays, but both Darren Clarke (-4) and Angel Jiminez (-3) are both pufing away at the top of the leader board Thomas Bjorn fought back with tenacity and is back up there..

The weather failed to deteriorate as much as forecast this afternoon and was only slightly worse than earlier..The micro-climate that exists in this corner of England has proved to be a mixed bag.I cut my grass this morning and was sweaty. I went out the afternoon and needed a coat. Not a climatic disaster so far maybe, but tomorrow is supposed to be dire --- with knobs on. The higher scorers who go out first will have the best of it. The two oldies aforementioned will have problems, not least keeping their cigars alight.

Four over looks likely to miss the cut and this includes Westwood and Donald from the top two places of the Worlld rankings, McDowell a recent major winner, Harrington, two majors on the trot and the nattily dressed Ian Poulter. The latter, perhaps, should have kept to the cat-walk .Earnie Els is another big name casualty.

Rory stayed in contention and was unlucky to have many near misses with putts.

I tend to mention mostly UK players, forgive me, but there is a big field out there and to mention others would not be possible.

Suffice to say, that at 19.30 there are 73 players 3 over or better and the cut is at 70 players.

Edited by Beechboy

See post number 2. My pick, Chad Campbell, is one stroke out of the lead at -3.

Could my dark horse come through?

Anybody within six to eight shots to be honest. The weather today will turn it into a lottery.

He has been very sound however and has Texan true grit.

Saturday 11am, wet and windy and a massive storm is brewing up, according to forecasts.

Oldies, Clarke, Love, Watson and Miguel, will likely let their experience tell.

Darren Clarke has weight advantage so he is unlikely to be blown into the sea, a fate that might await little Rory :whistling:

Edited by Beechboy

1400 weather has seriously abated.

Late starters having it cushy after all.

Scores of 75 had become commonplace. Nlow back to normal.

Unequal contest really and quite ridiculous for the number one event on the golfing calender.

Clarke now two shots in the ead and playing with brilliannce. He has, howeve r missed two easy puts to romp out of sight. Glover has dropped one and is havng to play rescue golf.

Rory with seven (out of bounds off tee is disappearing nto the pack.

Many US players on the leaderboard, esp. Johnson

I am going there now for a tea, , champagne and caviar no doubt.

Clarke, Kymer just dropped. Campbell gained.

Sorry I didn't see this on time to enter the competition. However, it is clear to mee that some players have an unfair advantage of knowing the secrets to success. Apparently, the recipe looks like this:

1. Smoke as many cigars as you like.

2. Eat as much as you like

3. Drink as much as you like (preferrably Rioja)

All you have to do is stretch a little on the range and you're good to go.

:D :D

Sunday 07.30.

Weather here at home is beautiful, hope it lasts.

Clarke looks unstoppable atm, but should be more in the lead. His putting let him down. His striking was superb, I followed his latter holes yesterday.

Rikki Fowler's 68 will be the stand-out round of the Open as it was achieved during the worst conditions of the day, which were truly horrendous.

He will be a threat, as will Johnson. Bjorn seems up for it and hanging on.

As a side issue , apparently Royal St. George's Golf Club doesn't allow women members, and only allows women to play on the course because of laws against discrimination. There does seem a contradiction here though, perhaps some loop-hole.The old sticklers do not, however speak to any woman they come across on the course. It could only happen in England.

I was wondering. Does this rule apply to ladyboys?

hats off to you Darren Clarke, couldnt happen to a nicer guy.

i think Seve would approve !

+ 1

and you are correct. Seve is smiling.

Agreed. A good guy comes through with a win in the worst of conditions. Typical links golf.

It was a tremendous event overall, although the weather was too influential.

A very worthy and popular winner. Darren was the only player to record under par for all four rounds. This says it all, so let the Guiness flow.

Overall:

An oldie established as a legend: Darren Clarke

An oldie giving hope to us all: Tom Watson

A new fan's favourite: Rikki Fowler

A ghost laid to rest: Thomas Bjorn

Some massive let downs: Luke Donald, Ian Poulter and Lee Westwood.

Another bad luck story: Dustin Johnson.

Saddish end: Angel Miguel Jimenez. One stretch too many?

Add to this a Worldwide boost in cigar sales and I think it is all summed up, unless others have something to add.

Lytham St. Anne's next year, another windy course unfortunately. I will not be going, champagne teas or not.

Signing off from sunny Broadstairs (a day too late!)

Edited by Beechboy

The only 'most' I would add is...Rory McElroy being the most over-rated player in the 2011 Open. The sports writers were nearly ready to mail the claret jug to him without his even showing up.

I have never played St. Georges but I have played all the Open Championship courses in Scotland. It can get windy at all of them. I remember playing the Old Course one fine morning with no wind. My second to the 18th was a wedge that ended pin high. My afternoon round to the 18th after the wind came up the same day was a 4 wood that also ended up pin high. It wasn't my drive that caused it either.

My favorite of all I have played is the Old Course and I have played it probably 100 times. The hardest is Carnoustie with Turnberry, Troon and Muirfield somewhere in between. I only played Muirfield one time and the weather was much like the worst of this years Open at Sandwich. I don't remember too much other than trying to get out of knee high wet grass on the 9th. I shot somewhere around 90 that day.

The Open is my favorite tournament and I'm a Yank.

Well sorry for the late reply been busy.

First of all thanks to Beechboy for all the fantastic updates.

Then to Darren Clarke What a great week and a masterclass in links golf.

Finally to Chuckd who won our contest with his selection being the highest

placed Chad Campbell.

We will be in touch on that one.

The K.J.Choi selections i wll check with the owner of the restaurant in that one.

He does not realy play the Asian Tour anymore even though he his a lifetime member.

But id do it but i will check first.

Only 2 weeks left for Bangkok Burger Company before we open so plenty of time to let you guys know when and how.

Thanks to all the contributors.

Back to the Asian Tour

Potters

Ahhh, what memories I have from this course. I used to drive down with friends on friday mornings ("I'll work from home on Friday") and play St.Georges, Princes and Cinque Ports. We always stayed at the Bell Hotel and had a proper men's dinner on Saturday night, the kind of evening where women are banned and cognac, cigars and old war stories are many. I even have a room key somewhere at home after forgetting to return it when we checked out. This close to London makes it an interesting alternative to the 10 hours drive required to reach similar stuff up North. Having said that, we did made our base in Ayr a couple of times for similar trips. Plenty of links in that area.

I've played my fair share of links golf, but when there's wind Royal St.Georges is by far the worst beast I have ever played. It doesn't matter how low hcp you are, you WILL struggle. One of the guys in the group is a former pro and played in the BO once, he struggled as well when the weather was bad. For a low handicaper, it is sometimes hard to accept that bogey is a target, but the difference between playing this course in fair weather and real wind and perhaps a little rain is brutal. The difference gets higher with the handicap, so how these pros shoot under par in conditions as bad as during the past weekend is crazy good.

Every time I play Royal St.Georges I win in experience, but I get beat up by the course. Every time.

Thanks for the reports.

According to rumors, this is referred to as a "jungle drop". The term was allegedly born at a golf course in Africa where the caddies didn't get paid if they couldn't find your ball following a wayward shot into the jungle. For this reason, the caddies always kept a spare ball in their pocket and dropped it somewhere "around" the location where your original ball was thought to have been lost. You didn't now anything about this, of course...