And So You Bought The Sg2

I ran Kies yesterday and the new firmware showed up. It first ran an update to Kies (said it was required for firmware upgrade). After about 30 minutes of Kies updating and the S2 firmware download/update, the phone is now running on 2.3.6. It seemed to change the widgets sizing a little bit. I don't really notice any battery improvements as stated in the release notes but maybe over time I will be able to tell.

I was a little nervous on the phone reboot after firmware update. At first it hung on reboot so I power cycled it and then it came up normally.

Now the wait for Ice Cream Sandwich (4.?) which is supposed to be early 2012.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done! biggrin.png Went with superoneclick.

I have my AIS SG2 updated to 2.3.6 stcok firmware so no need to flash some other ROM. however I am now unable to ROOT it.

I have tried the SuperOnelick which worked for me with version 2.3.3, and also the DoomLord batch files (V3) but neither work. It appears the latest updates have plugged the hole used to install Root access. Lets hope it is re-opened soon.

I am not very keen on flashing a different Kernel just to gain Root Access.

Even with the new ROM, I still do not seem to have Google Video or Voice chat.

I am unable to get keis to recognize my gs2 a a supported device. I have updated the keis software recently but this issue has been there since day 1 I opened my gs2 from the box and plug it int the computer. I have tried on multiple computers and all have the same results. Device is not supported under keis 2.0.

I don't need keis for anything other that to update the stock firmware. I have searched high/low for a solution but have found nothing other than many others reporting the same thing. Anyone here have any clue how to get past this?

Have you tried to uninstall Kies, reboot, then re-install?

I do not use stock rom, so I cannot help, but wifey has the Cooper and Kies always gets stuck updating. I just do it manually, via Odin.

The other issue is that there are different versions of the Kies based on regional location. The US and CA have a different current version vs. the ones for us.

Try http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=1903&prd_mdl_cd=GT-I9100LKAXSP&prd_mdl_name=GT-I9100&srchword=GALAXY+S+II

I will certainly try that. I have no issues doing the update via odin but I'm not sure where the latest 2.3.6 for the thai 9100t is. Any idea where I can find it?

Incidentally I am using this version of kies

http://www.samsung.com/th/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphone/android-os/GT-I9100RWTTHL/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

Edited by Jayman

Does anyone know where to download the new radio KI2?

I recommend KH3 used KI2 and found the signal strength and battery better with KH3, Using TRUE

Thanks.. do you have a link on where to find them? I'm on AIS but I have the i9100t. I'd like to give them both a shot.

I love this phone.

I'm getting about 2 days of battery life by turning off the data connection when not needed. I use a fair amount of WiFi.

I have a problem in sending MMS but I guess that's just the settings. I will contact AIS later today.

How to do that?

Wife has a new one and it's burning through Baht.

Also how to delete an email account from it? Just found that, it's all trial and error at the moment.

It's certainly a nice 'phone but not as user friendly as my iPhoney 1

Edited by PattayaParent

Ensure data is turned off. No need to download apn on off from Market. It comes within the software.

World of difference between the Iphone and the SG2. Like comparing Macs to Pcs... But it does work, and you have far less restrictions than Apple stuff. Too many to mention.

Anyways, the data may be using up her baht. It turns on automatically for the first time you boot up the phone, after purchasing it. You can also download widgets that take care of that.

I love this phone.

I'm getting about 2 days of battery life by turning off the data connection when not needed. I use a fair amount of WiFi.

I have a problem in sending MMS but I guess that's just the settings. I will contact AIS later today.

How to do that?

Also how to delete an email account from it? Just found that, it's all trial and error at the moment.

Just press the power on/off switch for upto a second of time and its the second option down the list!

There is also a Thai page you can visit (if using AIS), to diable Internet access while allowing a data connection - which is necessary for receiving/sending MMS. http://www.ais.co.th/vas/smartphone/ It is instructions for creating an alternate APN specific to AIS.

In case anyone is having issues understand that.. all you need to do to turn off internet data and keep on data for MMS is to change the APN name from "internet" to "aisnodata"

I love this phone.

How to do that?

Just press the power on/off switch for upto a second of time and its the second option down the list!

Thanks, that was the easiest option, although the missus did find a downlaod that does it too.

• 4 weeks later...

And so I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 (non rooted Samsung Android 2.3.6) and it got stuck in a boot loop at power on after about 5 months of good use. Only solution I found was the hard reset and clear all data. Starting the phone was fairly fast but getting in back to way it was took a few hours! Must be something simpler? The reason for the boot looping is still not known.

Has anyone been seen the 2000 mAh battery and cover from Samsung around Bangkok,

I would buy off Ebay. They have unlimited kinds there including slimline up to 2300mAh and others over 3600mAh with cases/chargers included. I just bought the regular 1650mAh several months back, very cheap and at my front door a couple weeks later.

i bought a set of batterys and a wall charger for 10 USD

delivered inside 10 days from hong kong

now i have 3 batterys but the chinese ones are not as long* lasting as the original ,ok for 90 thb though including free delivery

You have the seller info, Im always sketchy buying batteries off ebay, found some good deals on the anker 1900 batteries but cant find anyone who ships to Thailand.

Has anyone been seen the 2000 mAh battery and cover from Samsung around Bangkok,

I would buy off Ebay. They have unlimited kinds there including slimline up to 2300mAh and others over 3600mAh with cases/chargers included. I just bought the regular 1650mAh several months back, very cheap and at my front door a couple weeks later.

Has anyone been seen the 2000 mAh battery and cover from Samsung around Bangkok, I looked at MBK and the Paragon Samsung store but no one had any idea it even existed.

Maybe you could ask a Thai friend to troll the internet; Thai for sale forums, social media, phone etc., for it? Or ask a small counter shop owner to source it for you? They are available here, but maybe hard to find.

http://droidsans.com/node/36103

I think this is an actually a win-win for the SGS2, more juice, better cover, nicer look. I will get one in the U.S on my next trip; ~ $42.

Just found: http://www.ysrshop.com/samsung?product_id=704

Edited by lomatopo

Has anyone been seen the 2000 mAh battery and cover from Samsung around Bangkok, I looked at MBK and the Paragon Samsung store but no one had any idea it even existed.

Maybe you could ask a Thai friend to troll the internet; Thai for sale forums, social media, phone etc., for it? Or ask a small counter shop owner to source it for you? They are available here, but maybe hard to find.

http://droidsans.com/node/36103

I think this is an actually a win-win for the SGS2, more juice, better cover, nicer look. I will get one in the U.S on my next trip; ~ $42.

Just found: http://www.ysrshop.c...?product_id=704

Just called the guy and he said he was out. Thanks though, original samsung batteries are only 300 baht so im temped just to buy 2 and a wall charger.

Not sure if I'm missing a setting somewhere but there's one thing that I don't like about my S2: If the phone runs out of charge and switches off before I put it on charge and go to bed then, when the phone has recharged, it doesn't switch itself back on. Therefore my morning wake up alarm doesn't work. My old iPhone 3Gs did this.

I still prefer the S2 to the iPhone but this problem pisses me off a bit (unless there's something I can configure to make it happen).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mick