And So You Bought The Sg2

To compare fairly and for those sitting on the fence, try to say which phone you went from to the SG2.

Bought it today, the AIS version, from the Samsung store in Phuket. I used the G1 for 2 years, then the Iphone 3gs, then earlier this year I bought the Samsung Cooper (ACE). I bought the Cooper knowing that I may get the SG2. Powerbuy was also sellling out of the AIS version and had 10 True versions.

Had it for a few hours today.

It appears that the AIS was selling like hotcakes and she had many True handsets left over.

So that begs the question: The handset is not quad band? Or it is but not for 3g? Is Thailand really going to have full fledge 3g or the ridiculously named 2.9g?

I did not buy the phone for the 3g. I use the Ipad for data and wifi for the SG2, so I am not missing anything.

The first thing I noticed was how huge the phone is compared to the Cooper. Width wise, it was way bigger. Thinner.

Camera pics very very clear. Video was very smooth, and easy to hold steady, not too much shaking going on. Front camera sucks. It is supposed to be 2megs, but it is grainy. Very much like the Ipad front camera, VGA.

Android 2.3.3.

I will root it later today or tomorrow. I do like full control of my phone.

Boots super fast. This thing is a phone on steroids.

Will add more stuff later.

Edited by Somtamnication

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have gone from having a jailbroken iphone 3GS to my SG2 and love it more than any other phone. The thing is just so thin and powerful!

I also like that it takes full size normal simcards

I can either buy games and apps from the Android Market Place or from "elsewhere" if you can't find it on the APP store of Thailand

Not sure whether to bother rooting it as I only jailbreak my apple products for "back-up" games. Don't even have to do this with the SG2 as just need to copy the game or app file to the external card and install it directly from there

I'm considering getting one. Only concerns are battery life and the 3g bands. How do you guys find the battery life? I guess the 850mhz True version is the one to get in BKK for 3g?I'm coming from the n8 which is pentaband, and a decent battery life, so still kinda on the fence.

Battery life is ok. What surprised me this morning is my battery at 98%. I fully charged it last night, screen auto shuts off after 30 seconds. It is a 1600mah battery, so it should be ok.

This phone is like José Canseco on steroids (Americans will appreciate this).

The one negative so far is the sd card slot. I understand why they did this, to preserve the slim body, but now you have to remove the battery to insert sd card. Arai wa? I installed a class 10 sd card (8 gigs) as well.

The Samsung SGS2 is really beautiful, but the two main issues with my old HTC Desire still stands:

First there's the terrible battery life. Even with Oxygen-ROM which is tuned for maximum battery saving it's awful. Sure, if I only take a call or two and some very light Internet usage, I can make a charge last a full day, but 2-3 hours actual work on the phone and it's pretty much dead. As it has a 1400 mA battery I doubt the SGS2 will be much different for this, and I don't see a solution until there is another serious breakthrough in battery technology, like when the LiIon battery replaced NiCa batteries.

Then there's the 4-band GSM radio but only 2-band HSPA/WCDMA which severely limits you freedom to choose a carrier here. At least this ought to have been easy to fix, but I think the problem is most of the world use 2100 MHz for 3G, 850/900MHz systems is just so 1980.

I think I'll stick with the old Desire for a little while yet, particularly as there are now custom ROMS available for it, no longer depending on HTC to bring out updates.

I hear so many different reports of the battery life online it's hard to get a gauge. Anything from 6 hours with moderate usage to 2 days with moderate usage. Basically I want it to last a day with moderate usage but that sounds touch and go, heavy usage forget about it?

"As it has a 1400 mA battery I doubt the SGS2 will be much different for this, and I don't see a solution until there is another serious breakthrough in battery technology, like when the LiIon battery replaced NiCa batteries"

Problem is they seem to have an obsession (samsung anyway) with making phones as thin as humanly possible. I'd prefer a couple more millimeters on the SGS2 and a bigger battery.

Edited by lennois

I've had my SGS2 for around 2weeks now.

I had bought the SGS the month previously when I was in transit in Changi on my way to Brisbane. The S2 is slimmer, lighter and blisteringly fast compared to my wifes "new" galaxy S.

I've put the updated gingerbread 2.3.4 on both, though the GS does have better battery life I'm still needing to charge the phones every night or 1.5 days if I'm playing with it (games, emails etc) otherwise its good for a couple days.

Running Darky's Rom, on both.

Downloaded a heap of apps using torrents.

You can use additional bands if they are not enabled by entering *#2263# in the keypad.

Use the left button to bring up the menu to go back/end/key input/select/help.

Depends on what you define as moderate use.

Is that use of the phone, plus wifi and or internet enabled for 5 hours? 6? 2?

Is it with no internet enabled and no gps, but using the phone and sms all day long?

No gps, no "3g", but wifi part of the day?

That is a moot point if you do not mind charging it while driving. I get a quick 10% up in just a few minutes.

I would agree that if the SG2 was a tad thicker, and better battery, it would still be a killer phone.

Since Android 2.2 there seems to have been a significant battery-drain issue associcated with the "Suspend" process. This issue affects many handsets, perhaps HTC more than any other. Not sure why?

Here's a longish thread relative to the SGS2 but the first post has links to Google/Android bug report(s).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1070324

I have an SGS variant and 2.2.1 and do not experience this "Suspend" issue. I use my phone a lot, and get at least 2 days on a charge. I did choose a custom ROM which many verified offered excellent battery life.

The SGS2, at a minimmum, supports 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G or 900/1900/2100 Mhz 3G, and perhaps 850/900/1900/2100 Mhz 3G.

You can use additional bands if they are not enabled by entering *#2263# in the keypad.<br />Use the left button to bring up the menu to go back/end/key input/select/help.<br />

Do you mean you can change from 850mhz 3g band to 900mhz 3g band by doing this?

Would be great if you could change between these bands doing that or switching roms

I guess my moderate usage would be 2-3 hours surfing total, using 3g and wifi. Checking/replying mail and whatsapp throughout the day. The odd bit of GPS use. Don't really play games, but maybe the odd game of chess or other apps. Few hours of music during the day. Couple of calls, few text messages.

Something along those lines I'd want to last a day happily. Possible?

I guess it's easy to replace the battery which is a pro over my n8 as well.

Edited by lennois

You can use additional bands if they are not enabled by entering *#2263# in the keypad.<br />Use the left button to bring up the menu to go back/end/key input/select/help.<br />

Would be great if you could change between these bands doing that or switching roms

Just being able to select different bands in a UI doesn't necessarily mean you can use them. Someone needs to try both an AIS 3G SIM and a Truemove 3G SIM in an SGS2 to see if both work. I suspect that without flashing a new modem software package, the 9100T will work on Truemove (850 Mhz) and the 9100 will work on AIS (900 Mhz). And I'm not sure a new modem software package can re-program the baseband IC.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4472206

Just being able to select different bands in a UI doesn't necessarily mean you can use them. Someone needs to try both an AIS 3G SIM and a Truemove 3G SIM in an SGS2 to see if both work. I suspect that without flashing a new modem software package, the 9100T will work on Truemove (850 Mhz) and the 9100 will work on AIS (900 Mhz). And I'm not sure a new modem software package can re-program the baseband IC.

You can deselect every band and test them out 1 at a time.

If you don't get reception you can search for another network and see if it picks up any other carriers.

The software for the modem/phone can be updated via Odin. I've got a UK modem version running on mine (Bought in Oz, using it in Vietnam and Oz )

I love this phone.

I'm getting about 2 days of battery life by turning off the data connection when not needed. I use a fair amount of WiFi.

I have a problem in sending MMS but I guess that's just the settings. I will contact AIS later today.

There's an Android app called InterNetMittence which turns off the 3G connection on your schedule, so if you don't need push email, etc., you can make it fire up every hour, for example, check emails, and close down the 3G again.

Link

There's an Android app called InterNetMittence which turns off the 3G connection on your schedule, so if you don't need push email, etc., you can make it fire up every hour, for example, check emails, and close down the 3G again.

Link

Unless you are on a time-based data plan this seems unnecessary. Most email programs allow you to "pull" email on a periodic basis. I never turn 3G off, unless switching to WiFi. Can you describe why you use this program? To extend battery life?

I changed to the SG2 from Nexus One. I installed a 32 GB SD card (class 10).

Total storage now is 48 GB, which is great as I have alot of Audio Books and

Lectures (with Video) I like to listen too ....

The screen and speed are absolutely awesome.

I am getting 1-2 days usage from the 1600 mah battery (somebody said it

was 1400 mah - that's WRONG). Li-Ion batteries like to be kept fully charged

and be topped off. So I charge my phone every night, and have never had

an issue. I can see the battery lasting less than a day if you chose to have

3G data connection always on and play games/videos all day long. Typically

I have about 50% battery left when I go to bed ...

I had a custom ROM on my Nexus One (Cygmod 7). But I was not dramatically

impressed with it, and had several crashes. For the time being I am keeping

the original ROM, it has everything I need.

I did replace the Launcher (User Interface) with the FREE GO Launcher. I

find it slightly better than the original Samsung Launcher.

I bought the SPB Shell 3D Launcher ($15 USD) which was a big mistake.

Except for the really fancy and cool desktop 3D wheel, it lacks on features

of other Launchers. My recommendation is Stay Away from SPB Shell 3D ...

Cheers,

rudi

Nice update.

I will be installing the newer version of light´ning 3.1 version. It fixed many of the issues of the 3.0 version. Will update this forum with snapshots, etc.

I do not use data on the phone, as most of my work is done via the Ipad. But wifi is on and screen is on a lot, so battery does suffer on my end. But even with the screen off, I lose about 4% overnight. There is battery leak in 2.3.3.

Supported Frequencies/Bands seem to constantly come up. Looks like there is alot of misinformation ...

My (bought in Thailand) SG2 (I9100T) Supports the following bands (out of the box):

- GSM 850

- GSM 900

- DCS 1800

- PCS 1900

- WCDMA 2100

- WCDMA 1900

- WCDMA 900

- WCDMA 850

They are all enabled. See attached photo. You can see the band selection on your

phone by dialing *#2263#

It should be set to Automatic (All GSM and All WDCM) bands.

Cheers,

rudi

post-81891-0-63417000-1311313915_thumb.j

Again, having a menu pick does not mean you have functionality. You really need to try (install SIM, get a data plan, configure APN, etc.) both True (or DTAC) and AIS to insure both 850 and 900 Mhz 3G functionality.

I have a 850/1900/2100 Samsung Captivate, and as you can see I can select 900 Mhz 3G, but it does not work. And no, flashing another modem does not magically enable 900 Mhz. (The baseband IC in my phone can support 850/1900/2100 or 900/1900/2100, but is not re-programmable. The baseband IC in the SGS2 is penta-band, but I still do not know if anyone has verified 850 and 900 Mhz functionality. Reading XDA threads does not qualify as verification.

post-9615-0-30325700-1311323286_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Again, having a menu pick does not mean you have functionality. You really need to try (install SIM, get a data plan, configure APN, etc.) both True (or DTAC) and AIS to insure both 850 and 900 Mhz 3G functionality.

I have a 850/1900/2100 Samsung Captivate, and as you can see I can select 900 Mhz 3G, but it does not work. And no, flashing another modem does not magically enable 900 Mhz. (The baseband IC in my phone can support 850/1900/2100 or 900/1900/2100, but is not re-programmable. The baseband IC in the SGS2 is penta-band, but I still do not know if anyone has verified 850 and 900 Mhz functionality. Reading XDA threads does not qualify as verification.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. I have looked at several web

sites, and they suggest that the Captive also has a penta-band

radio. Also, I am sure if the different firmware that are posted on

XDA for the SG2 would work only on some sets, there would

be a discussion about that as well.

I can actually disable some of the bands, and make my TRUE

SIM card not work on my set. So I believe the '*' in the square

brackets IS a true indication whether that particular band is

supported and works ...

Do you have a SIM card that uses 900 MHz band ? We can

try it in the SG2. I'll be happy to bring the beer. ;)

Cheers,

rudi

Yes, disabling bands in the service/engineering menu should disable service, that's the point I suspect? However, and conversely, enabling bands does not mean that they will work, which was my point more or less.

Again, as the point seems to have whooshed over your head, I can enable 900 Mhz 3G (WCDMA), but it DOES NOT WORK. On the SGS2 this may be different, as it does have a penta-band capable baseband IC. You have an AIS SIM, based on one of your other threads, so it may be easier for you to determine functionality. (I've already been there, and done that with my SGS/Captivate, although your posts have prompted me to look at some i9000 ROMs, so thank you.)

I have been using my S2 for a week now. The first thing I noticed was how light the device is. I used an HTC Legend HD before.

I don't understand why Samsung makes 2 different models, one for AIS and one for True. What's the point? Why not combine both in one?

Things I don't like:

- when I turn it on (from stand-by), I have to wipe right to left, which sometimes needs 3 or 4 attempts until it works.

- the "On" button is on the right side. When I pick up the phone to turn it on, I seems to always push the "On" button together with the volume control button.

- I am unable to place a "favorite contacts" on one of the home screens

- the "Back" and "Menu" buttons are not always visible. So sometimes I fumble around to find the right spot. (My wife tells me the same thing :whistling: )

- Front camera is crap

Things I like:

- There is a little app called "Kies air", which allows me to connect to my PC via Wireless LAN. I then can upload any file on the S2, so simple, so easy.

- It's very fast and the display is amazing.

- I am not a heavy user and seldom play games, so battery life is OK, perhaps 50% down when I go to sleep. I recharge every night.

I changed to the SG2 from Nexus One. I installed a 32 GB SD card (class 10).

Total storage now is 48 GB, which is great as I have alot of Audio Books and

Lectures (with Video) I like to listen too ....

The screen and speed are absolutely awesome.

I am getting 1-2 days usage from the 1600 mah battery (somebody said it

was 1400 mah - that's WRONG). Li-Ion batteries like to be kept fully charged

and be topped off. So I charge my phone every night, and have never had

an issue. I can see the battery lasting less than a day if you chose to have

3G data connection always on and play games/videos all day long. Typically

I have about 50% battery left when I go to bed ...

I had a custom ROM on my Nexus One (Cygmod 7). But I was not dramatically

impressed with it, and had several crashes. For the time being I am keeping

the original ROM, it has everything I need.

I did replace the Launcher (User Interface) with the FREE GO Launcher. I

find it slightly better than the original Samsung Launcher.

I bought the SPB Shell 3D Launcher ($15 USD) which was a big mistake.

Except for the really fancy and cool desktop 3D wheel, it lacks on features

of other Launchers. My recommendation is Stay Away from SPB Shell 3D ...

Cheers,

rudi

I agree again, the SGS2 is an awesome phone.

I think you referred to my post, but I think you need to read it again. I was referring to my HTC Desire having a 1400 mA battery. I know the SGS2 has a 1600 mA battery, but those 200 mA surely make no substantial difference, and with the dual core and larger screen the SGS2 must necessarily use more power, simple physics.

Yes I am of course online with it at all times, what would be the point of having an offline smartphone? I use the Oxygem-ROM (which is incredible stable, more so than the original HTC ROM!) which has a lot of tuning to further reduce power usage, such as automatically lowering cpu speed to 200 MHz (IIRC) when the screen is off, slower network polling etc, yet, as I've already explained, a few phone calls, checking a few emails, reading Google Reader/Plus/FB/foursquare, the odd (short) game, and the battery is pretty much flat. I have friends with other brands of smartphones, including a Nexus S, which show the same pattern, so I think you may be a little too optimistic with regards to the battery life you see with your phone.

I also agree with you, the "bastardized" Android Samsung add to their phones is atrocious, but fortunately, if not already available, I'm sure there will soon be several 3rd party ROMS available, including "clean" Google ROMS. Long live open source! :)

I agree again, the SGS2 is an awesome phone.

I think you referred to my post, but I think you need to read it again. I was referring to my HTC Desire having a 1400 mA battery. I know the SGS2 has a 1600 mA battery, but those 200 mA surely make no substantial difference, and with the dual core and larger screen the SGS2 must necessarily use more power, simple physics.

Yes I am of course online with it at all times, what would be the point of having an offline smartphone? I use the Oxygem-ROM (which is incredible stable, more so than the original HTC ROM!) which has a lot of tuning to further reduce power usage, such as automatically lowering cpu speed to 200 MHz (IIRC) when the screen is off, slower network polling etc, yet, as I've already explained, a few phone calls, checking a few emails, reading Google Reader/Plus/FB/foursquare, the odd (short) game, and the battery is pretty much flat. I have friends with other brands of smartphones, including a Nexus S, which show the same pattern, so I think you may be a little too optimistic with regards to the battery life you see with your phone.

I also agree with you, the "bastardized" Android Samsung add to their phones is atrocious, but fortunately, if not already available, I'm sure there will soon be several 3rd party ROMS available, including "clean" Google ROMS. Long live open source! :)

Sorry, mea culpa, should have read more careful about the battery :)

The stock ROM also throttles CPU speed to 200 MHz. I don't dispute

that there are good after market ROMs available. I just got burned

with the Cygmod 7 on my Nexus One. Perhaps I should start a thread

asking for whats the best ROM is for the SG2 (i'll do that on XDA I think).

So, Phil, you have 3G data service always turned on ? Or WIFI ?

I usually turn it on only when I need it. Typically I have both off. I was

thinking to install some app that would turn on the WIFI every 2-3

hours to do an update, and than turn it off again. Has anybody tried

that ?

One amendment to my original review:

Two things I really miss from my Nexus One:

1) Notifier LED. Would blink if I had a missed call/SMS

2) Trackball. When editing/typing text, It is so easy to move the

cursor with the trackball. I have a really hard time positioning the

small pointer thingie with my fingers where I want it to be.

Cheers,

rudi

Clearly, the battery is an issue. I woke up this morning and it was at 58%!! It was fully charged, as it always is, before I go to bed. Then, throughout the day, I noticed it was losing 1% per 10 minutes or so. No data, no wifi, screen off.

I am still using the stock rom. The Lighting 3.1 version has bugs, so I have not flashed it yet. But this 2.3.3 is really really bad.

Clearly, the battery is an issue. I woke up this morning and it was at 58%!! It was fully charged, as it always is, before I go to bed. Then, throughout the day, I noticed it was losing 1% per 10 minutes or so. No data, no wifi, screen off.

I am still using the stock rom. The Lighting 3.1 version has bugs, so I have not flashed it yet. But this 2.3.3 is really really bad.

You should search the XDA threads ...

There are pointers to which after market apps cause crazy battery drains. My

phone doesn't loose battery life at all. I charged it last night, and barely used

it through out the day (12 hours since last charge now). Still have 68% left ...

It's not a phone issue, but rather Android/App bug ...

Cheers,

rudi

I use Android Assistant a lot, and it shows itself as the one with the most battery drain, sometimes as high as 25%. But that is not high enough to drain the battery so quickly. I am researching it, but today lightning 3.2 was released, so I may jump shiip anyway later today.