And So You Bought The Sg2

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have thought there would be an update to the phones annoying screen brightness fluctuations when set to auto brightness? Is there a fix yet?

When I try the Android settings under phone, software, check for update the result is no update available. Fare enough. My phone is using kernal ver 2.6.35.7-I9100TDCKH2....

Dont know about that, maybe take the leap into custom roms.... or turn off auto brightness and use your finger to adjust the brightness as needed. This can be done by dragging your finger across the the status bar,

I'd have thought there would be an update to the phones annoying screen brightness fluctuations when set to auto brightness? Is there a fix yet?

When I try the Android settings under phone, software, check for update the result is no update available. Fare enough. My phone is using kernal ver 2.6.35.7-I9100TDCKH2....

i flashed litening 6.1 a couple of days after buying my phone ,its a great rom

i havent noticed anything wrong with it

basically everything works as it ever did + a bit faster and cooler looking ,new menus and more options

im very happy with it but tempted to try the latest MIUI

Cyanogenmod is more than stable, no carrier IQ either

i flashed litening 6.1 a couple of days after buying my phone ,its a great rom

i havent noticed anything wrong with it

basically everything works as it ever did + a bit faster and cooler looking ,new menus and more options

im very happy with it but tempted to try the latest MIUI

Thanks guys. Final question (I hope)

Is it true that after flashing you loose access to the Samsung Apps store.

One of my main apps is an excellent Thai English dictionary they offer, and as yet I have not found it in the regular market.

Edited by thaimite

Use titanium backup, to save it then restore it to your new rom. If need more help let me know

One of my main apps is an excellent Thai English dictionary they offer, and as yet I have not found it in the regular market.

Use titanium backup, to save it then restore it to your new rom. If need more help let me know

Thanks..

I will check that out over the weekend.

Found on XDA...

None of the latest revisions have Google Talk Voice/Video activated. If you want to install it, you're going to have to root/install a version with it.

Skype video chat seems to work fine on the SGS2? Sucks if the other person only has 1 camera. ;)

I bought my GF a SGS2 4 weeks ago and one of the things she wanted to be able to do was use Skype for video caling over wi fi - especially when she was too lazy to open her pc. Unfortunately although she can IM over wi fi there does not seem any way to initiate a video call. A friend has sent me a link to add a piece of third party software but I was hoping there was a way to initiate this without having to add more software.

The version is I9100T running 2.3.3 from memory

Can anyone help with some simple steps we must be missing - the poster above does not seem to have an issue?

Thanks and apologies if already covered earlier in the thread

Found on XDA...

None of the latest revisions have Google Talk Voice/Video activated. If you want to install it, you're going to have to root/install a version with it.

Skype video chat seems to work fine on the SGS2? Sucks if the other person only has 1 camera. ;)

I bought my GF a SGS2 4 weeks ago and one of the things she wanted to be able to do was use Skype for video caling over wi fi - especially when she was too lazy to open her pc. Unfortunately although she can IM over wi fi there does not seem any way to initiate a video call. A friend has sent me a link to add a piece of third party software but I was hoping there was a way to initiate this without having to add more software.

Can anyone help with some simple steps we must be missing - the poster above does not seem to have an issue?

I'm using that phone model and same o/s. If you download Skype from Market latest version 2.5.0.160 has option to enable video under settings. It may be default off? Works great on mine.

Found on XDA...

I'm using that phone model and same o/s. If you download Skype from Market latest version 2.5.0.160 has option to enable video under settings. It may be default off? Works great on mine.

Thanks. The place we bought it from downloaded it and the other apps for her so not sure what version but I would have thought it could only have been the latest. Need to check. Is the Settings you refer to in the Skype app or in the main phone Settings?

Found on XDA...

I have the same model and firmware and Skype Video works well for me. As stated, maybe an old version of Skype or a setting

Found on XDA...

Thanks. The place we bought it from downloaded it and the other apps for her so not sure what version but I would have thought it could only have been the latest. Need to check. Is the Settings you refer to in the Skype app or in the main phone Settings?

Skype settings after you log in.

I wonder why its taking so long to roll out the 2.3.5 update for the I9001T.....?

my unbranded GS2 was still stuck on 2.3.3. and always told me no update was availabe on samsung kies :(

then i upgraded to a new rom and it automatically gave me 2.3.4 ( litening 6.1 ):)

then i seen a newer rom with 2.3.6 and bloatware removed and now i have it ( galaxyzero 4.6 ) :D

much cooler interface than stock and battery life is better

Edited by wana

I found my self asking the same question when moving from an iphone to the Sg2, It all depends on what you want to do with the phone, I like to be able to undervolt the processor and gpu to squeeze out more battery, changing roms frequently but having all my apps backed up with titaniumbackup, CWM to easily change kernels, modems, make weekely nandroid backups, etc... Busybox so I can have a almost full terminal in my pocket. There are alot of uses, but to an average end-user there is no need. It all depends on how you use your phone.

Besides looking "cooler" with a rooted ROM is there any reason to root a stock SG2? Most people do or don't? I cannot be bothered as what's cool today will be dull tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why its taking so long to roll out the 2.3.5 update for the I9001T.....?

I'm using the Samsung provided ROM and when I used Kies today it upgraded my I9001T phone from 2.3.3 which I've had since buying it in August to 2.3.6, Took about 10 minutes to finish it all and phone looks as before,

Edited by Digitalbanana

I'm using the Samsung provided ROM and when I used Kies today it upgraded my I9001T phone from 2.3.3 which I've had since buying it in August to 2.3.6, Took about 10 minutes to finish it all and phone looks as before,

watch the android system and android os decrease in your battery consomption. if you dont mind please give the modem that is shipping with the update. Settings>about phone > Baseband version

I ran Kies this morning and no update. It shows I am running the latest version (2.3.3). Are you located in Thailand? What carrier do you use?

watch the android system and android os decrease in your battery consomption. if you dont mind please give the modem that is shipping with the update. Settings>about phone > Baseband version

I've done a screen grab showing details. Using DTAC Happy in Thailand with an SG2 bought in MBK Bangkok. I notice the phone is a little faster if anything? The Samsung UI has also been tweaked a little, e.g. Home page 1 can now scroll to last page or page 2 next, whereas before it stopped at page 1 and would not go back further..

post-21581-0-58265900-1324608821_thumb.p

Edited by Digitalbanana

A question to all the root experts here, justsumhelp in particular. Which method did you use to root your S2? I am not a newb to tech gadgets, I would say I am very advanced PC user and do have some knowledge and experience with linux. SGS2 is my first android phone, been on N95 8GB for a while and wanted to get a new phone a long while ago, but the dam_n thing just wouldn't die :D. I respect it for being such a tough phone but I got tired of wating and got this one about 4 months ago. Time to play with it on a new level, I say.

I did some reading and there is a few ways aparently to root it, I already have one in my mind just wanted to ask if there is a better way or if there are any hidden problems with the method.

Was gonna do it this way http://lifehacker.com/5789397/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-rooting-any-android-phone Seems pretty simple with Windows based utility.

Other method which I am also considering is the one with droid based app called Gingerbreak: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-root-android-2-3-gingerbread-using-gingerbreak/ The app also let you flush customs ROMs as it seems so it's one universal solution but it sounds like it takes a while for this app to complete the procedure. I would rather do it quicker than wait for 10 min - less chances something interrups the procedure.

Other ways I read about include installing the insecured kernel first and then rooting it and then installing the superuser rights .... too many steps involved... Will pick one of teh first too so what is your advice? Thx!