We Need To Release Brake On Progress In Thai Technology

webfact

EDITORIAL

We need to release brake on progress in Thai technology

By The Nation

Our young scientists are world-beaters, so why are we stuck in a rut?

Kudos to a team of Thai students from the King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok (KMUTNB), which stomped to victory at the World RoboCup Rescue 2011 contest held in the Turkish city of Istanbul this week.

Thai youngsters managed to beat more than 3,000 contestants from 43 countries, including the US and Japan. Of the top five teams, three were from Thailand. IRAP_Judy, the team from KMUTNB, emerged victorious with a staggeringly high score of 835 points. The next best team, MLR from Iran, got just 430 points. In third and fourth places were Thai teams Stabilize (405 points) from Rajamangala University of Technology Phra Nakhon, and Success (395 points) from Rajamangala University of Technology Rattanakosin.

Young Thai scientists are no strangers to success on the world stage, with this week's victory making Thailand the RoboCup Rescue champions for the sixth consecutive year.

While that news is to be welcomed, showing that we can have some hope in our next generation, it is too early to celebrate an overall improvement for Thailand's progress in science.

In fact, the Thai students' winning effort was all the more impressive because it goes against the trend in this country. Thailand is lagging behind many Asian countries in terms of science and innovation. This is despite the fact that the success of our students shows we have a deep and talented pool of human resources.

The country's failure to improve its progress in science and innovation is simply more evidence that the adults in charge have squandered opportunities to develop our resources to their full potential.

Thailand has been complacent, while other Asian countries such as Japan, Taiwan and Singapore have managed to move up the technological ladder in the last half century.

South Korea is an obvious example of how a country can step up the technological ladder in less than one generation. South Korea's industrial development was almost at the same level as that of Thailand in 1980. But now, our level of technological development is 10-15 years behind South Korea.

While Thailand has been complacent, the Koreans have developed their technology to become an important source of production growth. South Korean companies acquired technology from abroad, but the country also focused on domestic research and development, with its well-educated workforce helping the country to realise its technological ambitions.

The essential element that is needed to improve our scientific development is education. But unfortunately, the Thai school system has so far failed to arm students with an awareness of the world in which they will one day work. In truth, our young winners deserve extra accolades for being able to transcend the prevailing system. These youngsters' success in Turkey is one example of what hard work, tolerance and creativity can achieve against the odds.

In addition, our education environment does not encourage people to think outside the box and take up challenges, because Thai society does not support those who like to try innovative ideas. For instance, in the corporate world, employees typically prefer to play it safe by sticking to the status quo rather than risking new ideas and behaviour. This is because they know they are likely to be punished if their experiment goes unexpectedly wrong, while their uncreative colleagues escape punishment by staying idle. This culture should be reversed.

Like the business world, the government also needs to do more to support a culture of innovation. More public resources and budget are needed to promote innovation and development, and the government should work with the private sector to accelerate our technological advancement. For instance, either the government or private companies could use these student teams' robotic technology to develop commercially viable or useful applications.

Unfortunately, we adults are failing to provide a supportive environment for our youngsters' creativity and ideas. Even worse, the government and political parties are increasingly discouraging self-reliance and innovation by offering populist promises of freebies that cause people to view themselves as recipients, rather than innovators who can take control of their own destiny and be agents of change.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-16

The South Korean government was looking forward to the betterment of the country more so than they were to be like the Thai government just insure their reelection.

One would wonder why foreign companies are not coming here to take up on this untapped pool of talent. Do these students graduate and get absorbed in the system where Status Quo is rewarded.

Other than food what has Thailand ever done to stand out. Is there any innovative ideas or products coming out of Thailand that are not based on western support?

I ask this question because I don't know and would be interested in a honest answer. It is not meant as a slur on Thai's and I would appreciate if that is all you know how to do please refrain from answering.

The South Korean government was looking forward to the betterment of the country more so than they were to be like the Thai government just insure their reelection.

One would wonder why foreign companies are not coming here to take up on this untapped pool of talent. Do these students graduate and get absorbed in the system where Status Quo is rewarded.

Other than food what has Thailand ever done to stand out. Is there any innovative ideas or products coming out of Thailand that are not based on western support?

I ask this question because I don't know and would be interested in a honest answer. It is not meant as a slur on Thai's and I would appreciate if that is all you know how to do please refrain from answering.

I think the answer lies in interpreting the story. Why shouldn't hand-picked, and properly encouraged Thai students excel? The problem lies in their exceptionalism.

By and large, the Thai educational system cannot produce academic excellence because it it patronage-driven, corrupt, and inept. The raw material is there: kids here are just as smart as kids anywhere, but their ability to think is stifled by a rote-learning, never-question-authority approach to education.

Too, there are cultural differences that contribute to the problem, which I like to call the 'being slick' problem. Thai culture rewards cleverness in dealing with others far above hard work, which is seen as low-class. To the extent that other cultures have influenced Thailand, observe that Thai-Chinese are generally considered to be more prosperous than the general population.

Of course, there are always those at the high end of the bell curve; those kids who regularly win the robot competition probably belong there.

Any Thai branded technology that I have purchase, failed.

The article should have included interviews with previous Thai contest winners. Something like a where are they now and how has the knowledge they used to win contest been used in their current position.

TheWalkingMan

Any Thai branded technology that I have purchase, failed.

The article should have included interviews with previous Thai contest winners. Something like a where are they now and how has the knowledge they used to win contest been used in their current position.

TheWalkingMan

Those are really good ideas.

No question about it Thai college's do turn out some great minds and talents but where do they go? Are they just swallowed up in the Status Quo system.

I know it is a little bit off topic but two years ago when I was in Canada I went to see a dentist. He said I needed a root canal for a infection I had. The tooth in question was one with a cap. The best doctor in the clinic for that particular procedure was a Thai lady.

Edited by hellodolly

South Korea is an obvious example of how a country can step up the technological ladder in less than one generation. South Korea's industrial development was almost at the same level as that of Thailand in 1980. But now, our level of technological development is 10-15 years behind South Korea.

While Thailand has been complacent, the Koreans have developed their technology to become an important source of production growth. South Korean companies acquired technology from abroad, but the country also focused on domestic research and development, with its well-educated workforce helping the country to realise its technological ambitions.

In addition, our education environment does not encourage people to think outside the box and take up challenges, because Thai society does not support those who like to try innovative ideas. For instance, in the corporate world, employees typically prefer to play it safe by sticking to the status quo rather than risking new ideas and behaviour. This is because they know they are likely to be punished if their experiment goes unexpectedly wrong, while their uncreative colleagues escape punishment by staying idle. This culture should be reversed.

Thailand, sit up, take notice.

One thing that constantly amazes me (Amazing Thailand) is that those with the power and authority to improve the education system here, are the ones that appear to be the most reluctant to do it.

Can they not get to grips with that if Thailand improves as a whole it will also benefit them.

Forget it, it's inbetween their ears. Their phobia is 'development means giving up old traditions' and it's old traditions that are used by the government and 'spiritual' leaders to control the stupid masses.

One thing that constantly amazes me (Amazing Thailand) is that those with the power and authority to improve the education system here, are the ones that appear to be the most reluctant to do it.

Can they not get to grips with that if Thailand improves as a whole it will also benefit them.

I think that we are applying a bunch of western ideas to what we strangely consider to be the "best" for Thailand. You need to step back a little bit and consider what you are asking for, because you may not like the end result.

We are living in a warm climate, where food is readily available the whole year round. Apart from a few western specialties I am unaware of any basic food imports. There is no requirement to expensively heat houses and dress against the searing cold of the winters in Europe. Just about anybody in Thailand can go to a restaurant and eat good food. The Thais are, in my fifteen years experience of living here, not unhappy with their lives. Every home has a TV, a motorcycle or two and maybe a pickup, Chang beer is cheap, and nobody is pressuring them to "get an education" and "develop themselves". As far as I can tell, if somebody wants to work, then there is always work available, maybe low paid, but work is there. And if they are feeling a bit lazy, then there is always a floor, food and a TV to keep them happy with friends or family.

Now ask yourself, what is life about?

Pressurizing yourself into a heart attack, working to pay the rent or mortgage, taking out credit card debt to travel to foreign countries and buying crap you don't really need, but "have to have" and then spend the rest of your life paying it off?

Or simply going with the flow, having low ambitions and happy with friends and relatives?

Is all this "widening horizons", having "ambitions" really what is necessary for a happy life? Or are the requirements of living in Europe, where life is shit unless you work your arse off or manage to get on the social benefit train being dropped onto Thailand?

For example my girlfriend's family live a very contented life, way out in the rice fields, self sufficient and enjoying every small moment of pleasure. How many in the west would love that kind of simple existence if they hadn't been "educated out of it"?

Just another perspective.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

I think that we are applying a bunch of western ideas to what we strangely consider to be the "best" for Thailand. You need to step back a little bit and consider what you are asking for, because you may not like the end result.

We are living in a warm climate, where food is readily available the whole year round. Apart from a few western specialties I am unaware of any basic food imports. There is no requirement to expensively heat houses and dress against the searing cold of the winters in Europe. Just about anybody in Thailand can go to a restaurant and eat good food. The Thais are, in my fifteen years experience of living here, not unhappy with their lives. Every home has a TV, a motorcycle or two and maybe a pickup, Chang beer is cheap, and nobody is pressuring them to "get an education" and "develop themselves". As far as I can tell, if somebody wants to work, then there is always work available, maybe low paid, but work is there. And if they are feeling a bit lazy, then there is always a floor, food and a TV to keep them happy with friends or family.

Pressurizing yourself into a heart attack, working to pay the rent or mortgage, taking out credit card debt to travel to foreign countries and buying crap you don't really need, but "have to have" and then spend the rest of your life paying it off?

Or simply going with the flow, having low ambitions and happy with friends and relatives?

Is all this "widening horizons", having "ambitions" really what is necessary for a happy life? Or are the requirements of living in Europe, where life is shit unless you work your arse off or manage to get on the social benefit train being dropped onto Thailand?

For example my girlfriend's family live a very contented life, way out in the rice fields, self sufficient and enjoying every small moment of pleasure. How many in the west would love that kind of simple existence if they hadn't been "educated out of it"?

I see where you're coming from.

That same work we do in the west to pay the mortgage is to improve the lot of our next generation. I wouldn't discount hard work and stress in western countries. Many people I know are empowered by challenge.

Well, that is very sweet.

Well, that is very sweet.

Ignorance is bliss? Harsh to say, but its true. While 12Drinkmore's girlfriend and family are blissfully happy with their existence, is 12DrinkMore? Otherwise he would not be here on TV forum looking for some mental stimulation? Point I am trying to make is that the simple life is fun for a while, but what about all the things that used to mentally stimulate you? No criticism of 12DrinkMore; he just makes a good example. Personally I like being mentally stimulated, whether it be a game of chess, a good book, writing some computer code, or trying out some technology that breaks new ground. I think this is the big difference between Thais and foreigners; we think outside the box and can innovate; for most Thais they are probably just dreaming about what they would like to eat next and nothing more!

Edited by MaiChai

Forget it, it's inbetween their ears. Their phobia is 'development means giving up old traditions' and it's old traditions that are used by the government and 'spiritual' leaders to control the stupid masses.

I saw a movie about a teacher wanting to open a school in Africa. The headman cut a notch on the doorpost of his hut and said no one taller than this ( age about 10) can go to school. He didnt want any challenge to leadership in his lifetime.

The truth is that most people in the Isan cannot go to a restaurant to eat good food. Your statement that Thais aren’t unhappy with their lives isn’t true. I’ve seen too many people suffering and I know a lot about the educational system.

You were right that all do have a TV, but what do they watch? They’re only watching soap operas about rich Bangkokians, always having the same problems, mostly solved with a gun.

Chang beer might be cheap for you, but making 180 baht a day wouldn’t allow you to drink beer, right?

Most students would love to have a ‘good education’, but the whole system doesn’t allow them to go to a good school, because they come from a poor background.

Even those who go to a good school experience discipline in form of a bamboo stick, which goes on until they go to high school. The educators are mostly very badly educated and so is their education.

We might live in the same country, but I’ve seen mostly unhappy people living in a village. Many are addicted to Lao Khao, many kids are taking Jaba trying to escape reality.

There’s not always food and no friends who keep them happy. Many mothers send their daughters to Bangkok, after hanging a cheap Buddha around their neck, knowing that they only have one thing to sell, their bodies.

When they come back with a foreigner, having gold and money, others are following, trying to get a better life. Some of them never come back; the suicide rate is very high.

The sun would still shine if they’d change many things for their own folks..................:jap: