Best Food In Sea

cheynewalk

I love food and asian food in particular. Whilst I love Indonesian and Thai food i consider Malaysia the best overall eating place in these parts for variety, quality and price. Where else can you get Indian, Malay, Chinese and Nyonya food in one place and at such affordable prices?

I actually make a point, several times a year of travelling the Melaka - Kuala Lumpur - Penang route (between trips from Bali to Thailand) just to sample my favourite restaurants in these places, and try some new ones too. Malaysia may have its detractors, but I believe you can't go past the cuisine.

Do others have any other preferences?

AFC (Asian Food Channel) has some great shows highlighting SE cuisine:

Yummy King

Makan King

Icip Icip

Masak Apa

Ho Chak

Coffee Talk and Hawker Wok

Driving Miss Foodie

and a few more. (Bruce Lim, Phillipines)

* no Thai shows which is disappointing.

For sheer concentration and accessibility Singapore is the best for sampling a wide variety of SE cuisines (Indian, Malay, Chinese, Thai). The organization of the food courts, public transport and food guides (i.e. Makan Sutra with detailed maps) make it so simple. I used to have to stay/work there for a few months every year so became familiar with the food scene. Now, every once in a while I have to do an unplanned 90-day visa run. I redeem a same-day J award on SQ or TG to SIN, with a longish layover, and then head into town to sample at least 3 or 4 dishes.

Having said all that, some of my favorite dishes are from Viet Nam.