Apartment Review: Meechai Mansion, Soi 3, Ratchada

bboy

I am writing this to warn other foreigners about the place I currently live In. Meechai Mansion used to be the best value for money apartment in Bangkok - close to Phra ram 9 MRT & fortune tower, only 5,000 THB per month, big swimming pool and a gym. In the past 9 months it has changed beyond all recognition. Someone has started a side-line business of repairing taxis in the car park below by the mini mart. This involves lots of engine revving, often starting at 5am - waking me up and surely most others. Thais are so placid they seem to put up with this, I know they don't really complain about anything as a general rule. I've complained to reception, they assured me it would stop but obviously just smiled and wanted to get rid of me - nothing has changed! I spoke to the guys myself (in Thai) and said I can't sleep, they should do this somewhere else - of course they ignored me.

There is also a brothel for women, which used to be very quiet, but has now been rebranded 'Valentine' (crazy that women pay for sex in a club in my apartment car park!) - they employ lots of tall Thai giggalos in white suits that like to shout at each other (converse uneducated Thai style) sat outside 'til late most nights.

Renovations / construction used to be barely noticeable, but now it's never-ending. The Bangkok sound of the circular saw can be heard most days in the car park (they do this next to the swimming pool) cutting tiles. Last year the pool was quiet enough during non-peak times, always a bit busier at the weekend. Now, it has become the hangout of kids and teenagers most evenings and all weekend from dusk 'til dawn. They shout and girls scream endlessly for no apparent reason, oh the good old Meechai :lol:

I also now have a theory that there are a lot of 'freelance' prostitutes living here, from the way they dress - and leave the building super late, come back at 3am shouting in the corridors etc. Recently, I've been woken up by the sound of high heels clanking about above me - I went upstairs at 4am & knocked on the door - and this huge farang opened it and said he had a prostititute then closed the door. Anyways folks, I will happily be moving out very soon. TAKE HEED AND BE WARNED.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

We used to rent an apartment in the building opposite the supermarket.

This was about 7 years ago and even in those days taxi repairs were always going on and the women brothel was doing a great trade as well :)

Most Thais except kids did not bother to use the swimming pool so not much has changed apparently.

Regarding prostitutes all sorts of people were living there that time including girls that worked the Ratchada massage parlors.

Also in those days they rented out the 9th floor on daily rate which brought a lot of short time visitors.

For 5 thou a month it's still pretty good value and a convenient location not to far from Fortune.

It's got a swimming pool as well!! All that for B5000 a month. I am serious. I lived in Sea of love for a few months(same priceB5000) just a relaxed stroll behind the big future mall but it was too quiet for me, not really much going on in that part of the woods. Cheers

^

It's got a restaurant as well downstairs (called red sheba or something like that if it's still there) and a couple of street vendors selling food outside.

Room is standard 30m2 with separate bathroom and a small balcony. No ac.

It's about a 10-15 minute walk to Fortune and the MRT.