Natural Or Homemade Cat Litter....

I usually get the "Catsan" brand ultra absorbant in Big C, but I decided to explore other options to reduce costs. I did google search and discovered through some posts on other websites that newspaper/baking soda, builders lime/sand, wood chips, chicken feed, are low cost alternatives. This site was particularly helpful: http://thegreenists.com/pets/tip-of-the-day-make-your-own-kitty-litter/1044

I tried the sand-only option and I can confirm it does NOT work in that it will smell horribly after a couple of days. Especially when you try to clean it. I tried keeping some seawater at the bottom half of bucket, or using baking soda. The seawater seemed to absorb some of the ammonia, but the baking soda makes it worse.

I just picked up builders lime (ปูนขาว poon kha) about 10 litre bag for 35 baht. I am trying it with the sand about 60% lime / 40 sand% and will revert with results.

I wanted your take on natural alternatives or methods.

Silica and while it's cheaper it's not free but much less trouble, less hassle, antibacterial which keeps down smell and stays long enough to make it cost effective which is less then regular litter anyways..

Been using it for a couple of months now and am very happy except it's getting harder to find now that I don't want to use anything else like always :( ..

Then there's this alternative which is my next step: Toilet training your cat

Did this with one of my cats previously but my current cat is a bit stubborn though I think our new cat will end up teaching him as she's really sharp and he learns from her all the time..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Silica and while it's cheaper it's not free but much less trouble, less hassle, antibacterial which keeps down smell and stays long enough to make it cost effective which is less then regular litter anyways..

Been using it for a couple of months now and am very happy except it's getting harder to find now that I don't want to use anything else like always :( ..

Did this with one of my cats previously but my current cat is a bit stubborn though I think our new cat will end up teaching him as she's really sharp and he learns from her all the time..

Do you know the name "silica" in thai?

I am aware of the toilet training cat, but not all the toilets are compatible. Guess it may be worth a shot.

Do you know the name "silica" in thai?

I am aware of the toilet training cat, but not all the toilets are compatible. Guess it may be worth a shot.

No, I just go to Tesco or Villa and buy it, there are a few brands BoBo (Japanese), Sand for cats (Thai brand) and KoKO Kat also a Thai brand..

Surely builders lime will burn the poor cats paws!!

We use "Sumo" cat litter it is the cheapest we have found so far and can be bought in most pets shops for 200 Baht for a 10 kg bag, comes in "Lemon " or "Apple " fragrance and does not smell at all apart from lemon or apple that is!

Paul

Surely builders lime will burn the poor cats paws!!

We use "Sumo" cat litter it is the cheapest we have found so far and can be bought in most pets shops for 200 Baht for a 10 kg bag, comes in "Lemon " or "Apple " fragrance and does not smell at all apart from lemon or apple that is!

Paul

Thanks. The builders lime is safe and I have not observed any adverse reactions. I'll continue to watch it.

I will look for the Sumo, though. That's pretty good if I can get 10kg for 200 baht and it works well. You sure that's 10kg and not 10 liters? Does the Sumo cat litter clump?

Good grief.. Is it too much just to use dirt? Let the poor animal outside to do its business

They go outside quite often. But when they are inside, raining, or we go out of town, a method to let them go inside is necessary. Especially the little one. Using natural materials helps them "know" outside can be used for toilet too.