Leo Beer

fredob43

Dont know if this is the right place. Right Leo Beer have drunk it for year's but in the last few month's my friend's and I have been having problem's Head ache's, sickness, cramp's in the stomach, We have all stopped drinking the stuff and gone over to Tiger, or other make's. All the problem's sorted it a trice. At time's have had the odd one or two, within hour's the head ache's start again, that's all of us. Just wondering if anyone has has the same problem. I must point out that none of us are P/ss head's just two or three large one's twice or three time's a week. That's at home out in a bar or Restaurant. Would be grateful for any sensible comment's.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a regular Leo drinker (at home). Can't say I've experienced any of the symptoms you've described. Seems strange.

Yes I was the same home and the odd occasion out. If it was only me I would have put it down to a problem that Ive got, but this is several of us and by that I mean several not two or three. This has been in just the last few month's. As you say strange. Well the upshot is with us anyway it's no more Leo.

Many years ago, before Beer Chang, you had a choice basically between Beer Sing ,Kloster and Amarit. Most farang could not drink Beer Singh . it used to impart the most dreadful hangovers. Sadly Kloster and Amarit , in my opinion were dreadful ,undrinkable. I used to drink MeKhong and Soda. Until salvation arrived in the form of Beer Chang.

I'm a regular Leo drinker (at home). Can't say I've experienced any of the symptoms you've described. Seems strange.

Yes I was the same home and the odd occasion out. If it was only me I would have put it down to a problem that Ive got, but this is several of us and by that I mean several not two or three. This has been in just the last few month's. As you say strange. Well the upshot is with us anyway it's no more Leo.

Where was the beer brewed and bottled? says so on the label.

I know many Thais who wont touch the stuff from Khon Kaen.

Where was the beer brewed and bottled? says so on the label.

I know many Thais who wont touch the stuff from Khon Kaen.

Dont know as box now gone so has the bottle's then there was the one's from the bar's. Got mine from Makro will look next time I'm there. Thank's for that migh be a help. Update later.

Many years ago, before Beer Chang, you had a choice basically between Beer Sing ,Kloster and Amarit. Most farang could not drink Beer Singh . it used to impart the most dreadful hangovers. Sadly Kloster and Amarit , in my opinion were dreadful ,undrinkable. I used to drink MeKhong and Soda. Until salvation arrived in the form of Beer Chang.

I used to be a regular visitor many years ago when there was a limited choice of beers. I quite happily drank Beer Sing, sometimes too much, but never had any serious hangovers as a result. Now that I am settled here I have shifted to being a Chang Beer drinker, and that is always my first choice. Though some restaurant/bar outlets do not offer Chang. These I do my best to avoid.

I used to be a regular visitor many years ago when there was a limited choice of beers. I quite happily drank Beer Sing, sometimes too much, but never had any serious hangovers as a result. Now that I am settled here I have shifted to being a Chang Beer drinker, and that is always my first choice. Though some restaurant/bar outlets do not offer Chang. These I do my best to avoid.

Hehehehe . My solution ? Don't sell Chang ,I don't drink there.

Been here 5 years and yes have had headaches with different beers but after I switched to Archa Beer I've never had a headache. Unfortunately bars don't sell it and perhaps a lot of stores also but I like it and pay maybe 365 Baht for 12 large bottles or 3 for 100 Baht at a local store. It's only 5.4% compared to the others which are more bitter and maybe that's why you get the headache.

For me the solution was drinking water. But a few gulps is not enough. If i drink a couple of bottles of Leo, i have to also drink at least a bottle of water. It has worked for me. Very rarely ever get headaches now. In the past it was one in four occasions of waking up with a bad one that lasted until mid-afternoon. Happy to have found a solution because for me, can't beat the taste of Leo!

(Much more than two bottles though and even drowning in water doesn't seem to help - but for me that's not just Leo, alcohol in general)

For me the solution was drinking water. But a few gulps is not enough. If i drink a couple of bottles of Leo, i have to also drink at least a bottle of water. It has worked for me. Very rarely ever get headaches now. In the past it was one in four occasions of waking up with a bad one that lasted until mid-afternoon. Happy to have found a solution because for me, can't beat the taste of Leo!

(Much more than two bottles though and even drowning in water doesn't seem to help - but for me that's not just Leo, alcohol in general)

I have have been here for over 15 year's and know all the problem's with drinking in the heat, yes and I drink lot's water only drink small amount's of beer dont have one sometime's for day's but as soon as I have had one or two Leo's lately well 6 week's ago, I get problem's that can last 3/4 day's. My head ache's start within two hour's or so. As I pointed out it's not only me at least 5 of my chum's are having the same problem. I now drink anything other than Leo had 3 Tiger's "Large" last night and the problem what problem. So it's got to be Leo. Going to check where it come's from maybe tomorrow if I can get into Makro. Dont know if it ill help but worth a try. I will be out on friday night for a pint might give Loe a go just to see if anything occur's all in the matter of science. Thank's for all the reply's so far. Update at the weekend. Edited by fredob43

I hear you man.

I had that problem. Gave up beer altogether for a year, headaches etc.

Now I drink a little. I find if I drink only three large botles then there isn't a problem. Whatever the brand. Anything over that and I'm in trouble. Water or not. When I do have a beer now it is cheers extra or chang. Stronger than Leo but don't get the headache hangover for some reason.

Chang beer is the way to go. If they export that stuff they must be taking care not to let industrial waste products leak into it.

Chang beer sold in England is 5% so not the same as here.

Chang Draught is 5% and I imagine is the same as the stuff they export. From Wikipedia:

Chang is brewed for the domestic market at 6.4% abv; and for the export market at 5% abv. However, the two "versions" are in fact different beers, the export beer being a 100% malt beer like its domestic draught product, while the Beer Chang sold in-country in Thailand is brewed with rice.

Haven't had a problem with LEO but then I don't think I have ever drank more than 4 large bottles at a sitting.

Now I do Blend 285 and soda. Just enough whiskey to sweeten the soda. Can drink all day and stay hydrated too.

Haven't had a problem with LEO but then I don't think I have ever drank more than 4 large bottles at a sitting.

Now I do Blend 285 and soda. Just enough whiskey to sweeten the soda. Can drink all day and stay hydrated too.

I'm dubious about the claim that the stuff is "blended by experts from Scotland". I have an image of them wandering around Soi Cowboy at 2 AM looking for drunk Scotsmen to mix the stuff up for them.

I'm dubious about the claim that the stuff is "blended by experts from Scotland". I have an image of them wandering around Soi Cowboy at 2 AM looking for drunk Scotsmen to mix the stuff up for them.

Drunk Scotsmen 2 am..... Try 2 pm in Soi Cowboy.

I have have been here for over 15 year's and know all the problem's with drinking in the heat, yes and I drink lot's water only drink small amount's of beer dont have one sometime's for day's but as soon as I have had one or two Leo's lately well 6 week's ago, I get problem's that can last 3/4 day's. My head ache's start within two hour's or so. As I pointed out it's not only me at least 5 of my chum's are having the same problem. I now drink anything other than Leo had 3 Tiger's "Large" last night and the problem what problem. So it's got to be Leo. Going to check where it come's from maybe tomorrow if I can get into Makro. Dont know if it ill help but worth a try. I will be out on friday night for a pint might give Loe a go just to see if anything occur's all in the matter of science. Thank's for all the reply's so far. Update at the weekend.

You may be right, it may have nothing to do with dehydration. All i'm saying is i've been here a similar amount of time as you, and for a good ten years i would have couple of bad headaches a week, and i would always dismiss the dehydration argument based on the fact that my water intake was highest of anyone i knew. I think my error though was in that at the end of the evening i would turn in to bed shortly after my last beer, and was reluctant to drink a large amount of water just before sleep on the basis of not wanting to get up in the night. I'll now take a few night pees rather than the morning headaches. They just ain't worth it. Anyway, hope you get to the bottom of what's causing it for you.

I have have been here for over 15 year's and know all the problem's with drinking in the heat, yes and I drink lot's water only drink small amount's of beer dont have one sometime's for day's but as soon as I have had one or two Leo's lately well 6 week's ago, I get problem's that can last 3/4 day's. My head ache's start within two hour's or so. As I pointed out it's not only me at least 5 of my chum's are having the same problem. I now drink anything other than Leo had 3 Tiger's "Large" last night and the problem what problem. So it's got to be Leo. Going to check where it come's from maybe tomorrow if I can get into Makro. Dont know if it ill help but worth a try. I will be out on friday night for a pint might give Loe a go just to see if anything occur's all in the matter of science. Thank's for all the reply's so far. Update at the weekend.

You may be right, it may have nothing to do with dehydration. All i'm saying is i've been here a similar amount of time as you, and for a good ten years i would have couple of bad headaches a week, and i would always dismiss the dehydration argument based on the fact that my water intake was highest of anyone i knew. I think my error though was in that at the end of the evening i would turn in to bed shortly after my last beer, and was reluctant to drink a large amount of water just before sleep on the basis of not wanting to get up in the night. I'll now take a few night pees rather than the morning headaches. They just ain't worth it. Anyway, hope you get to the bottom of what's causing it for you.

I used to have similair problems, have come to the conclusion that all beers made in Thailand are crap.

I switched to imported German beers and the problems noted above have long gone, ok they cost more, a small price to pay to be able to wake up headache/hangover free the next morning.

Since switching to imported beers, its been like coming out of a haze.

Never tried Leo before, but my lady bought a box recently as Big C was out of other brands. Since then I have suffered from stomache and urinary trac problems. Nice to have something to blame.

I'd already decided to throw the rest of the box away, seems my instincts were sound. <_<

I used to have similair problems, have come to the conclusion that all beers made in Thailand are crap.

I switched to imported German beers and the problems noted above have long gone, ok they cost more, a small price to pay to be able to wake up headache/hangover free the next morning.

Problem for me isn't cost but taste. I really like Leo and the only readily available imported option for me is Heineken, which i hate.

Federbrau i do like, but my Seven doesn't stock it, and i have no idea whether it would be any improvement in terms of beating headaches.

Problem for me isn't cost but taste. I really like Leo and the only readily available imported option for me is Heineken, which i hate.

Federbrau i do like, but my Seven doesn't stock it, and i have no idea whether it would be any improvement in terms of beating headaches.

I prefer Leo from chang or sing dont like heineken find it gasy so I'm down to Tiger dont have a problem with that. Right Leo does not have the place where made on the case or bottle unless it's in Thai. So that's no help. there must be a problem some ware spoke to my local bar owner today and he tell's me that his Leo sale's have gone down by 25+ case's a week he's not complaining as his sale's of other beer "More expencive" are well up. Seem's that all the Farang + Thai's have gone off the stuff. Might have been a bad batch. Who know's going to give it a try tomorrow as said, finger's crossed update later.

I used to buy Leo on a regular basis, problem was I'd throw a lot away cos when it wasn't very cold it was sickly to drink.

I switched to Chang Draft, even when not cold its ok to drink, for me anyway.

I used to buy Leo on a regular basis, problem was I'd throw a lot away cos when it wasn't very cold it was sickly to drink.

I switched to Chang Draft, even when not cold its ok to drink, for me anyway.

Tried that and dont like it. Tonight got 3 Archa from my local Ma/Pa shop 100bt had two two hour's ago and so far no problem's. But tomorrow night will tell that's Leo night.

Yes!

The last 2 times I've had a couple of cans of Leo on a Sat afternoon I've come home with an upset stomach, indigestion and a general feeling of blah.... from 2 cans.

Starting to think you might be on to something.......

Formaldehyde, did here a roomer. :(

Dont know about that. But update off out tonight not yesterday first beer a Leo, the owner of the bar thought I was mad but I explained it was a scientific test before I finished it the head ache's started. Switched to Tiger. As I had only had half a pint or so the head got a little better. Polished off two Tiger's large in total, now home and am still having the odd twinge. So No more Leo for me ever. Best of luck to all you Leo drinker's. I dont know what their putting in it but what ever it is they can keep it.