Tourist Visa Refused In Vientiane, For Semi-Strange Reason, And A Question About 30 Day Entry Stamps

Just thought I'd post regarding a recent experience (last week) at the Thai consulate in Vientiane. I used a visa service in Vientiane, which might have been the source of the problem, it's hard to say. Though I just didn't feel like going through the whole mob frenzy in the hot sun at the gate routine. So, I thought why not. Anyway, according to the visa service people, they claimed that because I had just previously had a non-immigrant visa for the purposes of work, that I was not welcome back as a tourist, that I could have holiday in Vietnam or Cambodia. The service gave me a full refund, so it seems they had no reason to lie to me about the whole thing.

I thought about going back the next day to try myself, but just couldn't be bothered. I had heard somewhere you get stamped in for 30 days if you fly in, and thought that would give me enough time. It was a bit of worry though, having just gotten refused what i thought would be routine. But I flew in and I got the thirty day entry stamp without any fuss or hardly a glance in my passport.

After all that though, one thing I'm wondering now is, if I need another thirty days in Thailand, can I just leave and then fly in again from a neighboring country or is it, no sorry sir, you've already done that once, not again.

There is no specific limit or restriction on the number of visa-exempt entries you can receive although on occasion, Immigration officers may ask for clarification of the purpose of your visit if they see a number of sequential 30 days entries. I don't believe I've ever read a report of someone being denied visa-exempt entry by air assuming their passport is in order and valid for at least a further six months.

Friend of mine, got refused in Vientiane for having too many stamps, he had to get a new passport and go back.

Up to the staff on the day, no set rules ...

Yeah, that's what you're warned about. No more than three tourist visas per passport. I had only two in there since 2005 and the visa service said the non-immigrant visas didn't count.

Friend of mine, got refused in Vientiane for having too many stamps, he had to get a new passport and go back.

Yeah, that's what you're warned about. No more than three tourist visas per passport. I had only two in there since 2005 and the visa service said the non-immigrant visas didn't count.

There are a number of visa services which go to Poipet (from Bangkok and Pattaya). They easily get double-entry tourist visas for most applicants. You just wait in your hotel overnight while they run your passport to Phnom Penh. If all the Filipinos who are obviously working illegally can easily get tourist visas, I'm sure you will.

Hurry! It may not last.

at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane they count all previous Thai Visa , regardless of what type or when/where they were issued.

Sometimes 1 previous Tourist Visa might be too much already, there is no set rule.