Thai Bred German Shepherd

Been looking for a good quality German Shepherd for some time now and my local vet has given me a tel number of a Thai breeder in Bangkok. I want one primarily as a good watch dog/family pet & company for our female Bangkaew.

We have been in contact now with the breeder and she has e-mailed several pics of the dogs.

Looking at the pics the dogs appear to be a bit on the small side for a GS (that's the parents), the ears are a bit too floppy! and a big gap between them on the head. I am no expert on GS but my brother has two UK bred ones.

The coats are short so should be good for the climate here.

The pups go for 6000 to 8500 Baht.

I looked at some long haired GS pups in Chatuchak market early this year and they were priced at 12K Baht.

Well going to drive down and have a good looksy this weekend.

Appreciate comments from TV forum breeders/owners.

IMO Thai shepherds are very different to those European/German blood lines. The thai shepherds tend to be much slighter in frame, skinnier and have longer noses. Whereas the european shepherds are stockier, with larger chests, thicker set bones and thicker more squat noses. I much prefer the European ones but am also a fan of long haired shepherds to which i personally have not seen any long haired, thai bred shepherds.

Good luck though and as a shepherd lover it would be interesting to see what you are being offered, parents etc.

a friend got his shepherd bitch from Bangkok and it is the real thing and is an absolutely fantastic dog. Great temperament, barks when someone comes to the door but is never aggressive. Great with children and she even swims off his boat out at sea. I have seen a few pure breeds in Phuket and he got his from a breeder who was recommended by the Thai German Shepherd club/association. Saying that, I also know of Thais that breed them, or should I say inbreed them! I have another friend who has a half Shepherd, half Bangkaew and it is beautiful if you were thinking of breeding yours. Not aggressive at all. A short haired Shepherd may be a Malinouse but I doubt it.

Below is a photograph of his Shepherd and my, then 12 month, bangkaew mix. The Shepherd was not cheap though!

post-136137-0-04868800-1311140697_thumb.

Well, I do breed shepherd for some time, to be honest, everytime I breed them, I expect them to become as their parents or grand parents in Germany. I would say that for some reason, the female GSD, sometime we get what we expected. But for the male GSD, it is rerely possible. The dog change a lot from their puppyhood to first year. Also there are so many factors that different from here and Europe, ofcause.

FMO responsible breeder can breed and raise puppy as same quality as in Germany. For doing that here in Thailand, it takes a lot of care and resources. The breeder have to deal with some desease / germ everywhere in this kind of weather which effect puppies growth. As it may notice that small breed dog in Thailand such pomeranian and beagle which grow up in Thailand can go aboard and get champion title in US or Europe. Just becasue it is much easier to deal with the enviroment when breeder always keep these small dog in door.

By the way, I've seen some Thai GSD breeders who pay much attention, looking after new born puppy and they get quality puppies as expected. Again, it consume a lot resources from selecting good structure and temperament parents (which I found it is easier to import one from Germany), then looking after with quality food, exercise, grooming and sometime keep them in air conditioned room.

If you are looking for a GSD puppy, cheaper price puppy, seem to have cheaper care. If you do not mind about stucture or temperament much, at least you must ask if the parents have hip x-ray check before you buy.:jap:

Moreover, long hair germanshepherd (long fur around ears), as a breeder, I normally spray and give away since it is mentioned in breed stadard as longer fur may effect German shepherd working ability!.. ... (getting more dirt while herding maybe?):D

BTW I think my friend paid about 30k+ for his.

That'd be possible for a puppy from pink pedigree

I can give some idea how much the German shepherd puppy price normally is as refer from GSD association of Thailand

There are 2 classes of pedigree as same as in Germany, Pink paper and White one.

Pink pedigree seem to be a higher class than the white paper. The puppies which come with pink paper mean their parents have achieved certain requirement as require by gsd association here and in Germany.

The requirement such as working title, at least the dog must complete SchH1 (obedient, tracking and protection) then what they call Korschein in German or Breed survey which comply with comment from Judge about anatomy, movement, working ability test (running) ect.

For the price of these pink paper puppies should starting from 30k. Some time it can be up to 60k or more if the puppies are sired by top producing stud dog from Germany. For example I used to import a pregnant bitch which mated to top producing sire for almost 10.000 euro. Now we can imagine how much the price should be for a puppy.

Now for the white paper, its mean one or both of the parents has not completed the requirement. Anyway under GSDAT requirement, at least they both have done hip x-ray before mating.

For the puppy which price less than 10.000 baht, make sure that their parent have been looked after very well enough.

anyway, nothing can guarantee that pink pedigree puppy is always better than white pedigree puppy.

post-53297-0-21043500-1311184155_thumb.j

post-53297-0-55583900-1311184176_thumb.j

post-53297-0-79159100-1311184330_thumb.j

Edited by Ponti

It would not be worth considering a long haired or short haired GSD especially in Thailand. In Australia, as an ethical breeder you didn't breed from long haired, short haired or white GSD as they are faults, even though some of the public liked them and often you would see them selling for more in the newspaper than what you would pay for a GSD of a good standard with breed survey, hip x ray etc, through an ethical breeder in the GSD club.

A GSD should have a double coat, both an undercoat and outercoat. They were originally breed from a variety of german sheep dogs, some with long coats, others with short coats. The long and short coats are just a throwback to the original stock. Considering the working heritage of the GSD breed, there are valid reasons for considering some coats faulty.

The accepted standard coat is the most maintenance free and weather resistant. This is why it is the preferred coat type and was the only type allowed under the standard. When I was in the GSD club in Australia there was talk of some countries possibly allowing long haired with undercoats to be breed and showed. While writing this, I thought I would do some research and found this very interesting site. http://www.aboutgerm....php?page_id=60 So now since 1st Jan 2011 long haired are recognized if they have an undercoat, but can't be breed to one with standard stock hair length.

A short coat, also known as a "close coat" or "mole coat" usually has little to no undercoat, which reduces insulation against heat and cold and less water resistance, which are important to a dog working outside in all sorts of weather.

The true long coat usually doesn't have an undercoat. This fault can allow the dog to get sunburn and it also reduces its water resistance and insulation properties. Plus, the long outer coat is more prone to matting, picking up burrs, etc...

The bias against coats is not some nitpicking . It is respect for the breed standard. The coat requirements of the breed standard are not there just for some arbitrary reason or because someone thinks they look trendy. They are there for a very good reason when we consider the origin, heritage and purpose of this breed.

I have also found there is a GSD association of Thailand which normally would be a good place to start when looking for a new pup. http://www.gsdat.org/demo/ The site is in Thai, so not sure how helpful it is.

There are many more things to think about when buying your GSD such as temperment, hip dysplasia, etc but most importantly is socializing, feeding getting all its shots from the vet and training your pup correctly. Good luck.. Hope that helps..

Edited by aussiebrian

I should have said that the worst place to purchase a pure bred dog would be somewhere like Chatuchak market as dogs that end up here are not only normally bred in factories that pump out as many dogs as possible, with no concern for the quality, or welfare of the parents or puppies, but may be cross bred. They also would have a lot more chance they have come into contact with distemper or some other disease that will kill or effect the dog for life.