US Embassy Bangkok Calls For Americans To STEP Up

webfact

Yes and why would you be afraid unless you owe alimony, child support, back taxes, estimated taxes, student loans, customs duty, have a warrant, might have a warrant in a similar name, be mistaken for someone who has a warrant, owes back property taxes, owes back medical bills, owes a debt to a court, has a similar name to someone who might owe a debt to a court, are considered a "terrorist" because you accidently put leaves into the yard of someone who works for homeland security, the FBI, the NSA, the NRO, or the TSA, or someone on the "no fly list" or someone who could have his/her passport denied, detained, or encumbered for ANY reason conceivable by any reason thought up by ANY bureaucrat by ANY reason. Indeed why would anyone have reason to question this? How stupid are you exactly?

Like (except the "stupid" part - unnecessary)

I like your post and it is something that every US Farang has to understand. Computer never lies and it will get anyone in trouble. If he or she does not clear it with the Government. Even I myself in US has to behave as such otherwise I can not fly or travel unless I drive. But, if I have a driving violation then the cops will not hesitate book me to jail. It is not easy to get a bail that fast and if my lawyer is out of town then I am spending the night in jail. Watch out?? my take and opinion.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This free service brought to you by the folks that now charge $85.00 for previously free passport pages. It is good to see where our money is going.

Are they also charging more to get a new passport now?

This is a major game changer I am shocked to hear this!

It is so stingy and unfair that they only give you about 24 pages in the new passport and then will charge another $85 for how many cents worth of paper and time spent?

Meanwhile the republicans continue to seek loopholes and tax breaks for wealthy billionares and oil companies dont you just love it?

This is unconstitutional and could possibly be contested in court as it is an unfair tax on traveling.

Justice William O. Douglas held that the federal government may not restrict the right to travel without due process:

The right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment. If that "liberty" is to be regulated, it must be pursuant to the law-making functions of the Congress. . . . . Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country, . . . may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values.

When you apply for a passport, you can request a 48 page passport. Also I doubt new pages $85 but it is no doubt that there is a charge for something that should be free. They have come up with some really far out reasons to charge money so why should that be left out.

New passports are 28 pages of which u have 20 pages available for stamps. there are NO 48 passports any more sice they added the chips inside. $85 for additional sets of pages and when u go to request the new set ask for two sets for the same price.

Just flying here alerts the US to where you are. Remember passing through immigration when you left? Registering here is a good thing. I get regular updates via email. And the more US citizens they know that live here, the better services they will provide.

Who cares about the FBAR. I make no money here on it, so don't have to pay taxes. No biggie. TurboTax kicks out the form automatically.

I donot know which airport you leave from but I have never passed thru immigration on my way out of the states, security yes immigration no, Los Angeles is my point of departure.

No departure point in the US has immigration. There are sometimes voluntary forms given out by the airlines but I have never been asked for them and have never volunteered them.

If you don't think immigration and FBI are not monitoring exit points you are being near sighted. From the moment you buy your ticket to the moment you board the plane you are being monitored. Just because you don't get stamped at a desk on exit doesn't mean they are not there.

Edited by animatic

Fears of loosing your anonymity by registering with the Embassy seems unwarranted unless you have an ulterior motive for doing so. We that live here, most anyway, still file tax returns so the big secret is out anyway.

I think it is likely that the Embassy is trying to update the ACS outreach service that currently limits its visits to (primarily) big tourist locations. Great for the Embassy staff but not so good for us folks living 400 km + from Bangkok in less touristy areas. I have been requesting that they add Buriram or Surin to one of there outreach locations and they assured me they would look into it. Even a visit by them once a year to the area would save me an unwanted trip into Bangkok. So if you are not wanted by law enforcement and live in the Buriram Surin area then please sign up. I hate the yearly trek into Bangkok to get my Embassy income letter which they can provide on the spot. Plus new pages, new passports, etc.

If you are unfamiliar with the ACS outreach service check it out. They come to you for many of the services that used to require a trip into Bangkok - if your lucky enough to be in an area that they service. From what I see our Embassy wins hands down over our European expat buddies.

I'm not American, so I don't get it. If you LIVE here why the heck do you have to report to THEM every year? That's the problem with people from the "developed" world, they've been socio-culturally conditioned to believe that their system is superior and they will be truly protected by THEIR system of government and every other country is inferior. Especially true re the US government.

No wonder so many posters suggest it's more about Big Brother checking whether its citizens are coughing up or simply recording loads of data about individuals. I notice one poster stating that even though he'd registered with them, when he really needed them, he couldn't contact them and received no reply. That sounds more likely. Most embassies seem the same; if you aren't important or have contacts, you never seem to be able to get to the people that really matter when you really need, so why bother? No I think it's more for them rather than their altruistic concern for you!

If you don't think immigration and FBI are not monitoring exit points you are being near sighted. From the moment you buy your ticket to the moment you board the plane you are being monitored. Just because you don't get stamped at a desk on exit doesn't mean they are not there.

monitored is defined by active observation and that simply isn't true. Homeland does not have the resources to "monitor" every citizen traveling domestically and/or abroad, even with their $90 billion a year budget. there are 4k domestic flights in the US daily. how many people do you guess that would take to monitor all those passengers? they certainly aren't going to dedicate massive resources to passengers leaving the US.

they do electronically scan all flight data for flags. but unless you have a Federal warrant or your name is Mohammed and you were put on a watch list by the "intel" guys in Baghdad, you are fine.

i don't owe anything and i am pretty sure no one is looking for me, however the US govt does actively share data with private companies. your free voluntary registration will eventually land in the hands of someone you don't want to have it.

"Big Brother" came and got me out of Egypt in January. A few people need to pull their heads out of their whiny, paranoid cracks...

Ha ha ha ha!!! "We're your government and we're here to help." Yeah right. No thanks.

Just because I'm paranoid, Mr. Leobeerman, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me. I'm glad they pulled your ass out of Egypt. I want them to leave my ass alone.

monitored is defined by active observation and that simply isn't true. Homeland does not have the resources to "monitor" every citizen traveling domestically and/or abroad, even with their $90 billion a year budget. there are 4k domestic flights in the US daily. how many people do you guess that would take to monitor all those passengers? they certainly aren't going to dedicate massive resources to passengers leaving the US.

they do electronically scan all flight data for flags. but unless you have a Federal warrant or your name is Mohammed and you were put on a watch list by the "intel" guys in Baghdad, you are fine.

i don't owe anything and i am pretty sure no one is looking for me, however the US govt does actively share data with private companies. your free voluntary registration will eventually land in the hands of someone you don't want to have it.

We still file and pay taxes.

They know our adresses abroad anyway.

Unless we are ignoring the tax treaties and not filing taxes in USA, in which case they DO have a case against you.

Fears of loosing your anonymity by registering with the Embassy seems unwarranted unless you have an ulterior motive for doing so. We that live here, most anyway, still file tax returns so the big secret is out anyway.

I think it is likely that the Embassy is trying to update the ACS outreach service that currently limits its visits to (primarily) big tourist locations. Great for the Embassy staff but not so good for us folks living 400 km + from Bangkok in less touristy areas. I have been requesting that they add Buriram or Surin to one of there outreach locations and they assured me they would look into it. Even a visit by them once a year to the area would save me an unwanted trip into Bangkok. So if you are not wanted by law enforcement and live in the Buriram Surin area then please sign up. I hate the yearly trek into Bangkok to get my Embassy income letter which they can provide on the spot. Plus new pages, new passports, etc.

If you are unfamiliar with the ACS outreach service check it out. They come to you for many of the services that used to require a trip into Bangkok - if your lucky enough to be in an area that they service. From what I see our Embassy wins hands down over our European expat buddies.

I'm up in Surin too. I did sign up I think about 4 or 5 years ago. Actually I was surprised few months back when trouble started with Cambodia and Thailand that the embassy called me to let me know they received news of conflicts at the boarder and wanted to advise me that maybe I should leave the area. The girl did not have allot of info what was going on, but told him if i had any problems to call them. Im near downtown Surin so still about 80K away from the boarder so no issues. But did think it was good they were calling. For big brother watching, as some of you already pointed out, first my tax return each year and then my foreign bank account so they already know where I am, dont care nothing to hide.

I'm not American, so I don't get it. If you LIVE here why the heck do you have to report to THEM every year? That's the problem with people from the "developed" world, they've been socio-culturally conditioned to believe that their system is superior and they will be truly protected by THEIR system of government and every other country is inferior. Especially true re the US government.

No wonder so many posters suggest it's more about Big Brother checking whether its citizens are coughing up or simply recording loads of data about individuals. I notice one poster stating that even though he'd registered with them, when he really needed them, he couldn't contact them and received no reply. That sounds more likely. Most embassies seem the same; if you aren't important or have contacts, you never seem to be able to get to the people that really matter when you really need, so why bother? No I think it's more for them rather than their altruistic concern for you!

In MHO you do not understand. They are not requesting you to sign up every year or engaging in any activity similar to the 90 day reporting that we that live here in Thailand enjoy so greatly. The embassy offers some services, such as the outreach program, that is based on the distribution of American citizens. This is a very helpful program for those that get to benefit from it. They also, I think, receive budgeting based to some degree on the number of American expats that they service so they like to get some idea of the distribution and numbers of their citizens. Simple as that. If one really thinks that they care on an individual level who you are I think you are suffering from illusions of grandeur.

With all the negativity on this thread I found the opening today of the thread below amusing and perhaps indicative of some that are so vocally critical of the Embassy.

Thailand's Irresistible Attraction for Fugitives

By THOMAS FULLER

BANGKOK — Give me your drug dealers, your money launderers, your felons on the lam yearning to breathe free. ...

If you have spent any time on Thai Visa I think it is made clear time and again that the US Embassy is way better than most. Sorry so many of you find that this is not the case and that you are apparently ashamed to be an American.

I’m humbled that they “NOW” care so much about me. I worked and travelled overseas starting in the late 70’s. During those decades, I rarely if ever stopped in or used any services of the US Embassies around the world because they made it very clear they really did not me there, or wanted me out travelling around the world. Instead I was a bother and not wanted. If you were a real American you’d get your a—back home.

Frankly it may take me some time to adjust to the new ‘sensitive and caring’ US embassy. Fact is it might take another decade.

Call me back :D

The craziness of everyone on this post who thinks this is a trap to snoop on ex-pats!

You know what? FINE… don't register!

I am amazed at how the US Embassy/Government is "Big Brother" when it requests basic contact information to locate you in case of an emergency (political unrest, tsunami, etc)... but it becomes "Daddy Warbucks" when you get squeamish about political unrest and want a plane ticket home, get in trouble with the law here and want Embassy assistance, run out of money since you spent it all on your Thai girlfriend (who has since dumped you for another farang), you got robbed while hanging out at some seedy dive bar and you need cash for a hotel, or the airports close down and you demand (yes… DEMAND) that the USG get you out of here.

It's a two-way street. Give a little… get a lot in case of need. Give nothing… you’re on your own, my friend!

As for the onerous data requirements for traveling to/from the US… name, date of birth and gender? If that's too much to ask, you've probably got something you're hiding.

(And for those of you who do not understand a reference to George Orwell's "1984"… please go out and read a book for once!)

Edited by americaninbangkok

If you have spent any time on Thai Visa I think it is made clear time and again that the US Embassy is way better than most. Sorry so many of you find that this is not the case and that you are apparently ashamed to be an American

As I posted above buck, this has to do with the past, I'm looking for a rosy future, but it will take time. By the way a former co worker is employed at the Chiang Mai consulate and I turned up at the 03/04 July 4th parties, me being patriotic in the post 9/11 world. Frankly it looked like a bunch of retired petty officers and their thai wives.

So I'm thinking where were these guys back at the 4th of july bashes at AUA Bangkok in the 80's? just don't know the newbies -------- like I said maybe I'll give it a decade

I'm humbled that they "NOW" care so much about me. I worked and travelled overseas starting in the late 70's. During those decades, I rarely if ever stopped in or used any services of the US Embassies around the world because they made it very clear they really did not me there, or wanted me out travelling around the world. Instead I was a bother and not wanted. If you were a real American you'd get your a—back home.

Frankly it may take me some time to adjust to the new 'sensitive and caring' US embassy. Fact is it might take another decade.

Call me back :D

I am impressed with your history of rough tarvel back in the day (isn't this why everyone on this blog talks about when they did something: so the rest of us can be impressed with how they've done so many things we haven't and we are so naive compared to their coolness?)... but that was the 70s when you didn't have a cell phone (or a phone), no SMS, no blackberry, no email, etc. Now you have it. So it's up to you. If you want to go the corner coffee shop and wait for the daily news to see if you're under attack, be my guest. If you want more immediate feedback from your government on how you can help it help you...

Hey Tonto that is the way it was at US Embassies

I kid you not. I find it pretty neat they care, but habits formed over a lifetime are bloody hard to change in a day or a year. If your impressed by this you really need some help, and its a ame deflection. :whistling:

Like I said the US Embassy wants to be my friend, great, but they need to prove it first. Talk is cheap.

After going back to the USA after we de-activated our base in U'Tapou and being dis-respected by anti-war activist we chose to stay in Thailand. We built a home for my thai wifes family in Hellkok and I use that address for anything Big Brother wants to know. We have a farm near the Burmese border and choose to live off the land. I don't need email notifications from the embassy, we provide our own protection up here. I served my country well and never got much back in return so they can kiss my ass. I paid into social security and get what I'm entitled to and thats it. If their is a coup YOU are on your own, don't expect much protection from the us embassy. The only protection you need here is a AK-47 and the local hilltribes. We have our own army and I prefer to keep it that way. Peace and quiet.

Nicely put, Bruce.

In all honesty, looking at the way the US government has handle recent disasters on US soil, Katrina and the BP Oil spill, I seriously doubt they would do much for those of us who chose to move to greener pastures. A huge portion of the US population wants everyone to take care of themselves. You and I are doing just that. We don't need and didn't ask for Big Brother's help.

They need to clean up their own crap back there before messing around with us. I'm happy here and I trust both the Thai government and my local expat community to help in cases of extreme distress.

I love my country, but the only way I'm going back in in a pine box or a vase.

Peace to you and your family, sir.

A good idea in some respects. It also enables Big Brother to know where you are.

As PhuketRichard points out, if you are living here long-term and have foreign bank account(s) in AGGREGATE that exceed USD 10,000 even for one day in a given calendar year, you are required to report them along with any interest earned in the accounts. If you have at least 10% ownership in a foreign corp (in the case of Thailand, a Thai Limited Company qualifies as a Corp), you are also required to file all sorts of forms and statements related to the foreign corp.

The IRS conducted one semi-amnesty program back in 2009 to get US citizens to fess up. They started a second one in March of this year.

Penalties under these amnesty programs are significantly reduced (but still high) if you come forward voluntarily.

However, if you are required to report and haven't done so, and did not participate in the either one of these amnesty programs, and they catch you...your days in Thailand could well be over. Depending on the scope of what has been unreported, you could be subject to jail time and truly draconian penalties.

Our dear friend and Socialist Charlatan in Chief Obama has been quoted a few years ago as wanting to "mine the expats" as it is believed (and correctly so) that there billions upon billions of unreported foreign accounts and associated unreported income from those accounts, that the US gov't is highly motivated to get their hands on, given the financial mess the US is in.

If you guys want to roll the dice on getting caught later...good luck with that.

I have not had accounts to exceed the amounts. When I do, the money will have had taxes paid on it and it will have come from a bank that they do have access to. So if they want to know where the money I have in Thailand came from, they already have the means to check. Again, why should I help them? They don't help me.

Don't get me wrong; I am not suggesting you "help" them. Quite the opposite; help YOURSELF in avoiding being on the wrong side of the US Tax Code, prevent having a substantial portion of your assets taken as penalties, avoid possible jailtime and sleep better. If you are in compliance, then no big deal, you have nothing to worry about. I haven't registered with the US Consulate here either and don't intend to do so. Registering with the US Consulate has nothing to do with being in compliance with US Tax Code.

From some of the postings I have read on this topic, some Yanks appear to think they can disappear here in LOS and Big Bro can't find them. They are woefully mistaken. There are a myriad of ways they can find you. And, if a Yank has transferred money to LOS from US banks, that's a roadmap for them. Further, the US and Thailand have a Tax Treaty in place and also a law was passed in Congress last year that requires foreign banks to pony up ID info of US citizen account holders. With computer technology growing by leaps and bounds, the ability to track someone down is getting easier all the time, and more and more banks are sharing info with the US gov't.

I am not a US gov't employee, I never have been and if I have anything to say about it, I never will be. But I have worked and saved since I was 14 and getting close to grabbing the "brass ring" on this merry go-round of life and retiring. No way I want to receive a NastyGram from the IRS telling me they want to stick a periscope up my keester to drain whatever they can from me if I have been trying to hide and not be in compliance.

Just my (ever-increasingly worthless) USD 0.02.

The craziness of everyone on this post who thinks this is a trap to snoop on ex-pats!

I am amazed at how the US Embassy/Government is "Big Brother" when it requests basic contact information to locate you in case of an emergency (political unrest, tsunami, etc)... but it becomes "Daddy Warbucks" when you get squeamish about political unrest and want a plane ticket home, get in trouble with the law here and want Embassy assistance, run out of money since you spent it all on your Thai girlfriend (who has since dumped you for another farang), you got robbed while hanging out at some seedy dive bar and you need cash for a hotel, or the airports close down and you demand (yes… DEMAND) that the USG get you out of here.

It's a two-way street. Give a little… get a lot in case of need. Give nothing… you’re on your own, my friend!

As for the onerous data requirements for traveling to/from the US… name, date of birth and gender? If that's too much to ask, you've probably got something you're hiding.

(And for those of you who do not understand a reference to George Orwell's "1984"… please go out and read a book for once!)

Be careful up there on that soapbox, brother... although, if you fall, they actually have a functional healthcare system here.

Look at the history of the US government coming to the aid of those in need within the continental US, i.e., Katrina and The BP Oil spill. Look at how efficiently the Thai government handled the totally unannounced tsunami. Historically, the Thai government takes action more efficiently than the US government from what I've both personally witnessed and experienced.

Also look at how the 9/11 emergency responders were treated. Not helping these souls who risked their lives to save others is unconscionably evil. The US government is morally bankrupt!

Furthermore, I don't need the USG to bail me out of anything. Save that for the banks and Korporate Amerika. I can take care of myself and I've got plenty of wonderfully reliable friends here in Phuket. We've got each others back.

Your stereotyping of expats is refreshing. I've never heard anyone assume that we're all sex tourists with possibly something else to hide. Your insight is awesome, sir.

A good idea in some respects. It also enables Big Brother to know where you are.

^ Indeed.....Indeed. Big brother wants to know all....

Thank You but I will pass.

Who cares what they know unless you have something to be afraid of ?

Yep, and because I dont care for body cavity searches in domestic airports to fly 300 miles, I guess I have something to hide. Surely I must be a terrorist.

Guess we were all terrorist before 9/11 ...smh

Kind of reminds me of the "gays in the military" debate, where if you weren't comfortable taking showers with a naked gay man, you were Homo PHOBIC at best..

red neck insecure with his masculinity at worse. Privacy never even entered into the discussion. I wonder why? The surely wouldnt make females shower with men though.

Its not a conspiracy, or some agenda that powerful people are pushing as some people and the truly paranoid would profess, but if you don't see the erosion of privacy and loss of

rights in the good ol land of the free...Well thats why the word SHEEPLE was invented.

As another poster has pointed out, if the needed to find me, they could. And if I ever do something wrong, I might be worried about it, but I'm sure not going to make it easy for them when

I have no reason to be chased or found.

Burns my backside seeing whats happening in a country I loved and once was willing to die for. A country my father and grandfather, and many more in my family died to protect. They gave their lives

to protect these rights that the politicians take away with a simple wave of their pen.

A lot of us would probably feel different if they approached it something like "We'd appreciate if US expats would register with us, because we want to be able to quickly get the word out in emergencies etc."

then again maybe I'd still be skeptical ;o)

Glad to be watching from a distance.

^ Indeed.....Indeed. Big brother wants to know all....

Thank You but I will pass.

Yep, and because I dont care for body cavity searches in domestic airports to fly 300 miles, I guess I have something to hide. Surely I must be a terrorist.

Guess we were all terrorist before 9/11 ...smh

Kind of reminds me of the "gays in the military" debate, where if you weren't comfortable taking showers with a naked gay man, you were Homo PHOBIC at best..

red neck insecure with his masculinity at worse. Privacy never even entered into the discussion. I wonder why? The surely wouldnt make females shower with men though.

Its not a conspiracy, or some agenda that powerful people are pushing as some people and the truly paranoid would profess, but if you don't see the erosion of privacy and loss of

rights in the good ol land of the free...Well thats why the word SHEEPLE was invented.

As another poster has pointed out, if the needed to find me, they could. And if I ever do something wrong, I might be worried about it, but I'm sure not going to make it easy for them when

I have no reason to be chased or found.

Burns my backside seeing whats happening in a country I loved and once was willing to die for. A country my father and grandfather, and many more in my family died to protect. They gave their lives

to protect these rights that the politicians take away with a simple wave of their pen.

A lot of us would probably feel different if they approached it something like "We'd appreciate if US expats would register with us, because we want to be able to quickly get the word out in emergencies etc."

then again maybe I'd still be skeptical ;o)

Glad to be watching from a distance.

Get a grip.

They are trying to protect us and our families my man.

Thank you for your great post !

I am with you 100% !

And I guess i had better read 1984 again.

It's been years.

I've been so involved in reading history for the last few years I guess I need to re-open some subject horizons.

I have learned a lot about many of our neighboring S.E. Asian countries pasts though.

Btw, I read AT LEAST a book a week in full.......

I can guarantee you, I will not be asking for anything.

This free service brought to you by the folks that now charge $85.00 for previously free passport pages. It is good to see where our money is going.

Are they also charging more to get a new passport now?

This is a major game changer I am shocked to hear this!

It is so stingy and unfair that they only give you about 24 pages in the new passport and then will charge another $85 for how many cents worth of paper and time spent?

Meanwhile the republicans continue to seek loopholes and tax breaks for wealthy billionares and oil companies dont you just love it?

This is unconstitutional and could possibly be contested in court as it is an unfair tax on traveling.

Justice William O. Douglas held that the federal government may not restrict the right to travel without due process:

The right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment. If that "liberty" is to be regulated, it must be pursuant to the law-making functions of the Congress. . . . . Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country, . . . may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values.

When you apply for a passport, you can request a 48 page passport. Also I doubt new pages $85 but it is no doubt that there is a charge for something that should be free. They have come up with some really far out reasons to charge money so why should that be left out.

New passports are 28 pages of which u have 20 pages available for stamps. there are NO 48 passports any more sice they added the chips inside. $85 for additional sets of pages and when u go to request the new set ask for two sets for the same price.

Oh, I see, They are helping again. Cut out the 48 page passport so we can jab them more often for the $85 extension pages. Exactly the help I need.

Just flying here alerts the US to where you are. Remember passing through immigration when you left? Registering here is a good thing. I get regular updates via email. And the more US citizens they know that live here, the better services they will provide.

Who cares about the FBAR. I make no money here on it, so don't have to pay taxes. No biggie. TurboTax kicks out the form automatically.

I donot know which airport you leave from but I have never passed thru immigration on my way out of the states, security yes immigration no, Los Angeles is my point of departure.

No departure point in the US has immigration. There are sometimes voluntary forms given out by the airlines but I have never been asked for them and have never volunteered them.

A bit paranoid aren't you? Anyhow the point was that there are no immigration check points when exiting the US.

Just read an article about how the IRS cannot be certain where you data is at any one time. http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/taxgirlfeed/~3/0cmAW4UCmcQ/

In 2001 I was living in Beijing and my life was in very real danger. My office in Hong Kong had been fire bombed and our partner in Shenzhen had been chopped up with a machete. I was told that I would be next.

I went to the US Embassy and after being grilled for two hours by guys with buzz cuts and shiny shoes, I was told by the vice-consul (at least she said she was) that it was not the policy of the US Government to help citizens abroad. But it was my patriotic duty to provide them with filling in gaps in their local intelligence.

By the sound of their questions, it sounded like they didn't even know stuff that you overheard in local bars, and much of what they did know was years out of date.

I refused to give them any information unless they would help me. She pushed a piece of paper across the table and asked for an address in the States where they should send my body, and who to charge for it.

I told them I'd pass on their help and left. Thankfully I was able to get out of Beijing with only a couple of broken ribs.

I think I'll pass on STEP as well....

Yes and why would you be afraid unless you owe alimony, child support, back taxes, estimated taxes, student loans, customs duty, have a warrant, might have a warrant in a similar name, be mistaken for someone who has a warrant, owes back property taxes, owes back medical bills, owes a debt to a court, has a similar name to someone who might owe a debt to a court, are considered a "terrorist" because you accidently put leaves into the yard of someone who works for homeland security, the FBI, the NSA, the NRO, or the TSA, or someone on the "no fly list" or someone who could have his/her passport denied, detained, or encumbered for ANY reason conceivable by any reason thought up by ANY bureaucrat by ANY reason. Indeed why would anyone have reason to question this? How stupid are you exactly?

B I N G O!!! - Nicely said! +1 :)

In 2001 I was living in Beijing and my life was in very real danger. My office in Hong Kong had been fire bombed and our partner in Shenzhen had been chopped up with a machete. I was told that I would be next.

I went to the US Embassy and after being grilled for two hours by guys with buzz cuts and shiny shoes, I was told by the vice-consul (at least she said she was) that it was not the policy of the US Government to help citizens abroad. But it was my patriotic duty to provide them with filling in gaps in their local intelligence.

By the sound of their questions, it sounded like they didn't even know stuff that you overheard in local bars, and much of what they did know was years out of date.

I refused to give them any information unless they would help me. She pushed a piece of paper across the table and asked for an address in the States where they should send my body, and who to charge for it.

I told them I'd pass on their help and left. Thankfully I was able to get out of Beijing with only a couple of broken ribs.

I think I'll pass on STEP as well....

While I have little respect for the communist colonialist Chinese government I expect there is more to this story than you are telling us.

I lived and worked in China (Beijing & Shanghai) for three years and found it overall an enjoyable experience. Perhaps your reputation preceded you at the embassy? I know it is none of my business but I sit and wonder why would anyone be after you?

Yours is a very curious post.