Coney Island Chili Dog At Butter Is Better

butterisbetter

Actually, the bun problem is easily solvable. We are a bakery, after all. A customer can substitute any kind of sliced bread for the buns. Your choices would include 100% whole wheat, 7 grain bread, deli rye with caraway seeds, multigrain whole wheat hearth bread (also known as 7 grain whole wheat bread), and..tada!!.. white bread. We also have challah and gluten free bread, but their shape would make it difficult to accomnodate hamburgers or hot dogs. Actually, there is a restaurant chain called Friendly's in the NE United States that serves its burgers on toast. Or at least, it used to. So no one needs to grapple barehanded with our burgers or hot dogs. Unless he or she wants to.

snapback.pngUlysses G., on Yesterday, 17:47 , said:

White! Do you think that Mr. Butter is Better would desecrate a genuine Coney Island Chilli Dog with a whole wheat bun? :o

See what I mean UG - he's all over the place. I just want to try an authentic, genuine Coney Island Chilli Dog and he throws in all these wonderful different breads he bakes and makes me re-think the whole experience.

Edited by uptheos

Actually, the bun problem is easily solvable. We are a bakery, after all. A customer can substitute any kind of sliced bread for the buns. Your choices would include 100% whole wheat, 7 grain bread, deli rye with caraway seeds, multigrain whole wheat hearth bread (also known as 7 grain whole wheat bread), and..tada!!.. white bread. We also have challah and gluten free bread, but their shape would make it difficult to accomnodate hamburgers or hot dogs. Actually, there is a restaurant chain called Friendly's in the NE United States that serves its burgers on toast. Or at least, it used to. So no one needs to grapple barehanded with our burgers or hot dogs. Unless he or she wants to.

snapback.pngUlysses G., on Yesterday, 17:47 , said:

White! Do you think that Mr. Butter is Better would desecrate a genuine Coney Island Chilli Dog with a whole wheat bun? :o

See what I mean UG - he's all over the place. I just want to try an authentic, genuine Coney Island Chilli Dog and he throws in all these wonderful different breads he bakes and makes me re-think the whole experience.

Well there is no getting around it his chilli dogs and Coney Island's are delicious. How ever with all the choices and decisions to be made it is simpler to not buy them and invest your money in the ginger crinkles.:jap:

Just waiting for the hot dog eating contest, the record is 65 in 10 min. at Coney Island's Nathan Hot Dog Stand.

On the hamburger roll issue at toasted bun will give the desired contrast in texture and rigidity required and don't forget the all important bun to meat ratio

I'll be in soon to see you guys at B&B again soon by the way I love your new 50's diner decor!! (reminds me of my old breakfast hangout in Venice Beach CA)

NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH*** NEWS FLASH***

Todays menu includes MEATLOAF SANDWICHES and HUNGARIAN GOULASH....and the Chang Klan branch will open for dinner on AUGUST 1!!!!!

What it does for ginger makes the ginger snaps back home look anemic.

I quite like dunking Sainsbury's Ginger Snaps in my tea, but I'd like to try these.........are they for dunking?

You can but they are not like back home they need no help. On their own they are awesome.

And as ulysses g says they are made with whole wheat.

You can but they are not like back home they need no help. On their own they are awesome.

And as ulysses g says they are made with whole wheat.

Trust UG to go for the healthy option, rolleyes.gif

I resent your insinuation that our ginger crinkles are a healthy option. They are loaded with butter and, hence, cholesterol. Whole wheat flour interferes with the action of cholesterol on the body. Which, in my opinion, just makes the cholesterol angry. You don't want to make cholesterol angry. Especially, when you are letting it inside your body.

Edited by butterisbetter

thai pauly.

re ... BTW I wanted to let you know that I now shop at your Nim City branch as I don't get approached by your staff while I am window shoppng

the little lovely didnt come to see me when i was there for a lemon one of these

but she was watching me like a hawk while i took this pic : )

enjoy ... dave2 .

The new girl working in there is very cute, and speaks excellent English....

but not there at the weekends :(

David

...I realize that's how it is, but wouldn't they be genuinely better on proper bread with some crust and structure to it?

In general no. The bread usually slightly covers up the taste of the more important ingredients.

I have tasted gourmet burgers with better bread that were really great, but the places that can pull it off are far and few between even in Western countries. IMHO, it is better to stick with traditional wonderbread buns in places where burgers are not so common.

Irish Pub would be a reasonable example of a more elaborate burger served on more interesting bread.. (they bake it themselves). I think it's call the Irish Pub Burger or some such. It's pretty obscene, but does come on a proper bread bun. ;)

The "bread" is not supposed to be noticeable. let me tell ya.....potato bread is great... Nathons coney island dogs are great.....but try what we east coast americans call a dirty water dog made by sabrette

Even better than the "mushy" white bread that hot dogs usually come with, and certainly better than whole wheat or "interesting" bread, would be a roll made with potato flour. Still soft, but with a slightly sweeter taste and it won't get in the way of the taste of the hot dog. Common in the US, but I don't know of anywhere in Thailand doing potato bread.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, today's the day I was all set to try my very first Coney Island dog. Off I trot to B is B with great anticipation. "One Coney Island chilli dog with onions and cheese please" (as recommended by UG).........."Sorry we've been very busy, no more Coney Island"...........What!! I mean c'mon guys it was only 2-30pm how many Coney Islands do you sell, do I have to make an appointment to get one?

I recommended to the owners that maybe they should make a little more, since they sell so many and perhaps they should give me a free Coney Island voucher for my trouble, wai.gif to which they replied cheesy.gif

No matter, it was at least an opportunity to try the meatloaf, which was good and I just love the lemon meringue pie. So all in all it really wasn't a wasted trip, as I trotted off with my bagels.

Hey B is B should I call ahead if you sell out so quickly?

Butter is Better-Chang Klan is fully stocked with a new batch of fresh hot CONEY ISLAND CHILI!!

My first Coney Island - not disappointed. thumbsup.gif

Usually I don't eat hot dog type sausages, but I must say these are very good.

Andrew, the pickle we discussed was very simllar (good), but not as tangy. Still, I guess many boyhood memories linger and can never be replicated exactly......especially at age11 when I saw Barbara X in her navy undies, whilst peeking through the...........OK OK nuff of that.ph34r.gif

Edited by uptheos