Power Steering Failure

simon43

Our 6 year old Zafira (in vgc), suddenly developed a problem 2 days ago. The power steering failed, although all other aspects of the car remained OK and the car can be driven in non-assisted power steering mode. A warning light concerning the PS now lights on the dashboard.

Our local Chevrolet garage said 'power steering discharge failure, not enough power from battery for power steering', (whatever that means), and the repair estimate is 30,000 baht!

I'm not a car mechanic, and I'm trying to understand what this expensive problem might be, or whether the garage is telling porkies to me.

The battery itself is not at fault, newish and the car engine starts all ok. So what expensive item concerned with the PS could this be??

Thanks

Simon

I believe you have a hydraulic power steering in Opel/Chev Zafira, making the electric explanation od. If it doesnt work, the pump is unlikely to work or there is a leak

As you state quite correctly, the Zafira has hydraulic power steering, but it driven by an electric pump, not belt driven.

Take is to a local garage or that someone recommends..

My pump went on my Audi A6 early last year, local garage owner/mechanic rebuild it by using parts form a VW Passat..

Total price 4,500 baht......... New pump was told by Audi would have to be imported + with fitting about 60k

The Zafira power steering rack seldom gives trouble, but the electric pump often does though. Most dealers like to replace both, which most of the time is unnecessary. They will also tell you that the sub frame requires removal as to do the job well. This is also unnecessary, as it can be done with the sub frame in place, albeit with a little careful perseverance. Replacing the pump will cost a lot less than replacing the rack as well.

The Zafira power steering rack seldom gives trouble, but the electric pump often does though. Most dealers like to replace both, which most of the time is unnecessary. They will also tell you that the sub frame requires removal as to do the job well. This is also unnecessary, as it can be done with the sub frame in place, albeit with a little careful perseverance. Replacing the pump will cost a lot less than replacing the rack as well.

You are well informed about stuff. Welcome :)

I believe you have a hydraulic power steering in Opel/Chev Zafira, making the electric explanation od. If it doesnt work, the pump is unlikely to work or there is a leak

As you state quite correctly, the Zafira has hydraulic power steering, but it driven by an electric pump, not belt driven.

And power assist so kicks off at high speeds when the front end load and less steering input is required for steering as on highways this is electronically controlled by sensors and likely your problem but tough to know if that's it or if they just see a money maker..

Sometimes in cases where the rack does need replacing however dropping the subframe is by far the more expedient and correct way to do it as it is with the VW's for example..

An Aussie bud of mine was just told by a dealer that his ABS modulator was no good on his VW Passat and it would be 24,000 just for the modulator. He brought it to me first and he lives on very muddy roads this time of year and the ABS sensors are on vertical disks with small gaps to break the current so they tend to get filled with the thick sticky muck around here (meaning Thailand) so I pressure washed his brakes first and problem solved for the price of some water and a little time.. He was veeeery happy indeed..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Simon, i would think that they want to change the rack is that debris from the hydraulic side of the PS has gone into the rack, the power side is un-filtered,only the return is or should be filtered,

Of course there are other things to test first before committing to 30k, like the elctric supply to the pump ect,

Find the pump,perhaps trace it by following pipes from rack, start the engine, lay your hand on the pump,get somebody to move the steering left and righ a little, does the pump groan or vibrate a bit? if so, it could be a rack problem, if it doesnt, pump is U/S, keep engine on tickover/idle..

If not sure, take it to a half decent garage, good luck..

My pump went on my Audi A6 early last year, local garage owner/mechanic rebuild it by using parts form a VW Passat..

Total price 4,500 baht......... New pump was told by Audi would have to be imported + with fitting about 60k

I had an early A6, do you have a Bunny Hops prob now and then with the Auto Box.?.

Thank you. 40+ years in the motor business ,with me paying the monthly bill's has taught me well.................... Not such a fun way to learn though, but I guess it will continue. biggrin.gif

Back to the OP, if it was my car, I would be looking at the pump rather than the rack at this stage.

Check the parts price in Singapore or HK as they are possibly cheaper than here. The Singapore Distributor imported Zafiras that were assembled in TH or Bochum, Germany and in my experience there are many different OEM and or superseded parts used on this vehicle when assembled in each country.

Particularly electrical components, including the front wiring harness. Obviously the pump plugs into the front harness. The net effect is often when you order parts for the Zafira, you may have to order additional parts as well, because of supersession issues. The Zafira has very crude OBD capability's, but at least the dealer seems to have pointed you in the correct direction, but he is possibly suggesting replacement of both the pump and the rack in order to safe guard his position. That's pretty common with all trades isn't it?

You must also bear in mind that all the well intentioned advice given here is without the benefit of experiencing the issue first hand. Good luck.

I had an early A6, do you have a Bunny Hops prob now and then with the Auto Box.?.

No is very smooth, only problem is will not change into top until your doing 58km/h bit annoying when traffic is doing 56km/h..

Not sure what 'Bunny Hops prob' is ? did get jerky ride on over run, but that was dirty injectors, 1 lt Red X in a near empty tank for 10km and moving to Shell V Power 95 sorted that out.

Thank you. 40+ years in the motor business ,with me paying the monthly bill's has taught me well.................... Not such a fun way to learn though, but I guess it will continue. biggrin.gif

Back to the OP, if it was my car, I would be looking at the pump rather than the rack at this stage.

Check the parts price in Singapore or HK as they are possibly cheaper than here. The Singapore Distributor imported Zafiras that were assembled in TH or Bochum, Germany and in my experience there are many different OEM and or superseded parts used on this vehicle when assembled in each country.

Particularly electrical components, including the front wiring harness. Obviously the pump plugs into the front harness. The net effect is often when you order parts for the Zafira, you may have to order additional parts as well, because of supersession issues. The Zafira has very crude OBD capability's, but at least the dealer seems to have pointed you in the correct direction, but he is possibly suggesting replacement of both the pump and the rack in order to safe guard his position. That's pretty common with all trades isn't it?

You must also bear in mind that all the well intentioned advice given here is without the benefit of experiencing the issue first hand. Good luck.

I think I would just supply the electric pump with battery power initially, to see if its a wiring/contact problem, or a pump problem

No is very smooth, only problem is will not change into top until your doing 58km/h bit annoying when traffic is doing 56km/h..

Not sure what 'Bunny Hops prob' is ? did get jerky ride on over run, but that was dirty injectors, 1 lt Red X in a near empty tank for 10km and moving to Shell V Power 95 sorted that out.

No it was line pressure probs,from standstill,it would go hop, hop ,then pull away, the engine never faltered..Just wondered, that's all.

I think I would just supply the electric pump with battery power initially, to see if its a wiring/contact problem, or a pump problem

Yep jump it across but the problem is he isn't doing it himself and this is why I do all my own diagnosis and repairs, he's going to get the typical Thai attitude that they know better and won't be able to get his point across especially since he's not mechanically inclined which will eventually lead to confrontation and him getting no service as they'll think he knows too much and won't want to risk getting caught at ripping him off. I've found time and again they have no compunction about turning down work as they believe rightly or wrongly that someone else will be foolish enough not to question them.. Whew I'm outta breath now..

Kata you live down his way why don't you go to the dealer with him??

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep jump it across but the problem is he isn't doing it himself and this is why I do all my own diagnosis and repairs, he's going to get the typical Thai attitude that they know better and won't be able to get his point across especially since he's not mechanically inclined which will eventually lead to confrontation and him getting no service as they'll think he knows too much and won't want to risk getting caught at ripping him off. I've found time and again they have no compunction about turning down work as they believe rightly or wrongly that someone else will be foolish enough not to question them.. Whew I'm outta breath now..

been at Phuket Chevy a few times, no plans to go back

but I would go to a electric pump repair shop for a start

Chao fa east road, close to zoo, next to new Supercheap minimarket 7/11 style. They do 3voltDC to 380 volt AC pumps, and all car electrics

Chao fa east road, close to zoo, next to new Supercheap minimarket 7/11 style. They do 3voltDC to 380 volt AC pumps, and all car electrics

Come on........ Wear your volunteer highway patrol uni. maybe they'll even give him a discount :D ... Or

charge him double :whistling::( ....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Dam good idea, we had an old bloke who asked the Taxi Drivers what to do with his old banger, they took him to places like you mention.Allways came and told me it was 400 at the shop, and 4 Million from Nissan.He ran into the arse end of a Truck., not thats got anything to do with it, but im stuck in a jam,ao ill just pass the time......................

Come on........ Wear your volunteer highway patrol uni. maybe they'll even give him a discount :D ... Or

charge him double :whistling::( ....

Simon43, does your Tourist Police uni still fit?

Simon43, does your Tourist Police uni still fit?

Ask the wife :)

OK, although it has not been explained to me exactly what the problem is, the Chevrolet guy says that the ocst is about 30k if we buy a new replacement part via the official supplier route, but that a second hand part will be much cheaper. He quoted us 7k for one supplier from Bangkok, (with 1 year guarantee), or between 5-6.5k if he gets the part from a different, and untried supplier. These prices all include his commission etc. (My wife has deealt with this guy on previous occasions and he seems reasonably honest..)

So we have gone for the 7k offer and will then make plans to sell the car after it is working properly again. I actually bought this car as new in Bangkok 8 years ago, so my wife has looked after it well, but I think we should trade it in for a new model before it breaks again.

Simon