Finance A Car?

thaigerd

yes you can, very easy!

take your passport with your non b or o visa and workpermit to a car dealer and presto, drive away after filling out 1000 pieces of paper. My advice would be buying second hand as in 1 year of owning it you will lose minimal money - second hand cars hold there value... I trade in every year on a car worth 500,000 and I only lose 20,000 on my previous years purchase price - very cheap rent over the year.

Having recently moved to Thailand from the UK, I'm at a complete loss to understand the prices of second-hand cars in Thailand. I looked at a 6 year old Honda Civic that was around about 300,000 baht. I found the same car in the UK with fewer miles and a year newer for half that price yet a brand new Honda Civic is appreciably less money in Thailand than the UK! Whats going on?

I was also warned to be very careful about buying second-hand cars in Thailand as there were a lot of dodginess going on.

The whole situation has caused me a huge headache (especially with my budget) as I feel as if I'm forced to spend twice as much on a vehicle - and I hate buying new cars because of depreciation.

Anyone got any thoughts about this (or know where I can buy a good motor about 2-3 years old). :o

gentleman, have you ever had any problems with the second hand cars you've bought, i am looking but worried about buying a wrong un. :o

I only buy in one place in Phuket and he also happens to be my partner in other businesses, so I am lucky I suppose - NEVER in 6 years have I had car trouble, He is a honest car dealer and many foreigners buy from him. He buys a lot of cars from Bangkok, I will ask him today who he buys from and post it here later.

Cars cost double here because of taxes, actually the cost of the same used car bought from a private person is triple the cost of the USA and double (our cars depreciate 70% in 3-4 years) so dont buy a car if you cant face that grim reality (i didnt) I always recommend buying from a private party (even though everywhere in the world they say buy from a reputable dealer) buying from a private party allows you to: 1.buy the car cheaper (dealers have employees, rent and marketing cost and markups for commissions) 2. you can meet the actual driver of the car, and you can try to judge if they are the type of person who takes good care of the car 3. they can tell you all the things that have been fixed or repaired.