Possibly The Worst Steak In Pattaya

William Osborne

Not going to name the place but its the first open air restaurant across the road from Apex Hotel on second road..place is always pretty busy and used to eat there before... ordered a Pepper steak but got a mushroom sauce, wouldn't be too bothered at that except the sauce was horrible so scrapped it to one side and got into the meat... what a mess, looked like it had been pounded to pieces with a mallet and was completely tasteless.. was bad enough to make one consider turning vegetarian ... charged 295 baht for it as well so not exactly cheap .. anyway, another place off my list although it was surprisingly busy compared to the other 2 open air restaurants which were empty :huh:

Red Alert ... red alert farang dissatisfied with $10 steak.

Call in the vice and fraud squads, maybe the tourist police and Knocked up Abroad TV folks. Pattaya is going to hell again.

There is a very inexpensive open air restaurant on Soi Buakhow, nearly opposite the Katoey bar, north of Soi Diana about 200 meters on the west side, which for the price, is very good. Thre are thee open air restaurants there side by side, it is the most northern, north of the one with the buffet BBQ.

Call in the vice and fraud squads, maybe the tourist police and Knocked up Abroad TV folks. Pattaya is going to hell again.

What has the price of a steak in your country have to do with this? The op is staying in Thailand and paying with Baht. :ermm:

And IMO 300 Baht is a cosiderable amount.

Yer jokin'... Wow, do you actually think there's a chance in hello dolly the Knocked up Abroad TV folks might come to Pattaya, Mate? Man, that'd be the bog's dollocks.

B)

What has the price of a steak in your country have to do with this? The op is staying in Thailand and paying with Baht. :ermm:

Actually the price of the steak has a lot to do with it. There is a huge range of steak available in Pattaya, both imported and local, from cheap to very expensive. The price is a fairly good guide to what you may get. They're certainly not going to give you a prime imported cut for that price.

I can only assume you must be a Engerish teacher, 300 baht a considerable amount, youre havin a laff.

Not all of us survive on Mama noodles and Kao Man Gai at 30 baht a pop from the local talat nat.

Actually the price of the steak has a lot to do with it. There is a huge range of steak available in Pattaya, both imported and local, from cheap to very expensive. The price is a fairly good guide to what you may get. They're certainly not going to give you a prime imported cut for that price.

But you have to agree that for 300 Baht you can get a pretty decent steak at many places in Pattaya.

There is a very inexpensive open air restaurant on Soi Buakhow, nearly opposite the Katoey bar, north of Soi Diana about 200 meters on the west side, which for the price, is very good. Thre are thee open air restaurants there side by side, it is the most northern, north of the one with the buffet BBQ.

I think I have eaten in that restaurant. I wasnt very impressed. And I thought it was rather expensive for what it was. It's often pretty busy though.

However, by "the one with the buffet BBQ" do you mean the one with a Thai sign "79" (or "69") outside? They seem to do steamboat cook-it-yourself but I've never seen many people in there, nor have I ever seen a menu. From the sign one would expect the food to cost 79 (or 69) Baht, but that seems rather cheap for any sort of steamboat or buffet. Or does it mean that every dish is 79 (or 69)? Or is it just the street number? Very confusing.

I think I have eaten in that restaurant. I wasnt very impressed. And I thought it was rather expensive for what it was. It's often pretty busy though.

However, by "the one with the buffet BBQ" do you mean the one with a Thai sign "79" (or "69") outside? They seem to do steamboat cook-it-yourself but I've never seen many people in there, nor have I ever seen a menu. From the sign one would expect the food to cost 79 (or 69) Baht, but that seems rather cheap for any sort of steamboat or buffet. Or does it mean that every dish is 79 (or 69)? Or is it just the street number? Very confusing.

Sounds more like a moo ga ta type place, and even by Thai standards 79 baht is cheap, most are at least 99 baht and some are now 129 baht.

Tropo summed it up before, the price is usually an indication of whats on offer, and at that price its not Kobe beef, or even the Thai equivalnet.

Your observations may well speak volumes, "never seen many people in there", at 79 baht a pop, the locals may know more than we do, conspicuous by their absence.

But you have to agree that for 300 Baht you can get a pretty decent steak at many places in Pattaya.

Let me know where. I've given up trying.

I would like to know if you didn't eat it why didn't you just return it and not pay or tell them to replace it with one that didn't have the mushroom sauce?

The mushroom sauce wasn't the main source of his disappointment.:lol:

After 14 years in the restaurant and wholesale business in Thailand I have learned that there is only one reliable beef grower and supplier. However, his supply is limited to a herd of 4000 cattle and everyone wants his product. I have been on allocation for his tenderloin for years but it is the best. A good lesson should be that you want a cheap steak then you will get a cheap steak. I would strongly recommend putting the sauce on the side and seeing if you like the beef, if not dump the sauce on it to take away the beef flavor.

Edited by metisdead
Font size reset to default forum font.

It is possible to get a reasonable steak for about 150 baht at the restaurant on the ground floor of Big C Extra in Pattaya. I eat there about three times a week and the food is excellent. Will not name the restaurant however it has a Spanish name.

It is possible to get a reasonable steak for about 150 baht at the restaurant on the ground floor of Big C Extra in Pattaya. I eat there about three times a week and the food is excellent. Will not name the restaurant however it has a Spanish name.

Reasonable compared to what, road kill?

JH

Edited by metisdead
Reset font.

Name the name, Man.

Sob, guess it sucks to be you. How is the English teaching going?

Yer jokin'... Wow, do you actually think there's a chance in hello dolly the Knocked up Abroad TV folks might come to Pattaya, Mate? Man, that'd be the bog's dollocks.

B)

Sarcasm mate ... Sarcasm.

But they might come if they get wind of these poor English teachers being cheated on these expensive 300 baht steaks ... Oops 295. Every 5 baht counts.

Last week I was in Chang Rai Had a rib eye about 9oz potato's salad veg took me for ever to get through not because it was tough but the size. One of the best steak's I've ever had price 300bt on the nail, so can be done. In Pattaya every one just seem's to get done.

I would like to know if you didn't eat it why didn't you just return it and not pay or tell them to replace it with one that didn't have the mushroom sauce?

Because the dopey youngster who took the order would have probably had money deducted from his already crap wages...normally i wouldn't mind mushroom sauce but this stuff was dire...anyway, bad idea to return food to the kitchen unless you like eating spit ;)

I prefer to get my slabs of meat at the Katoey bar itself...but different strokes for different folks :lol: I presume you mean the place just about opposite the Butcher's Arms Pub. I think they do pizzas too.

Because the dopey youngster who took the order would have probably had money deducted from his already crap wages...normally i wouldn't mind mushroom sauce but this stuff was dire...anyway, bad idea to return food to the kitchen unless you like eating spit ;)

Or worse, a squirt of chef's own sauce!!

Sob, guess it sucks to be you. How is the English teaching going?

I have no idea. Ask someone who is working, I'm financially independent. B)