Good Honest Mechanic In Koh Samui

Looking for a good honest mechanic in Koh Samui, my engine started knocking and smoking lightly. Probably not a good sign. Someone in the Koh Pangan thread accidentally posted a good place on Koh Samui -- the place with the Bridgestone sign near the Chaweng post office. Anyone else have any recommendations?

Driving from the traffic lights south of Tesco - towards the lake in Chewang. Immediately after the Collage of Tourism - on the right hand side. Small garge - very skilled mechanically and very cheap.

He does not speak a word of English though. Show him the probelm with the car - no problem.

Try this guy he just moved to new shop in Mae nam near the buffalo fight stadium excellent english and a nice guy. Mr Jimmy 0879991234. he also owner of Samui auto part's.

That's the guy I was talking about.

i awlays used the main dealers, at least they are trained by manufacture's and about same price, guess it depends on age of the car. Steve would be a good one also if he still does cars. he kept Big Joes truck, old banger looking like new. Meeting up with Big Joes brother in couple of weeks trip back home, live nearby looking forwards to that.

Edited by NALAK

Driving from the traffic lights south of Tesco - towards the lake in Chewang. Immediately after the Collage of Tourism - on the right hand side. Small garge - very skilled mechanically and very cheap.

He does not speak a word of English though. Show him the probelm with the car - no problem.

Ironically, after reading this thread yesterday my car broke down last night. New gasoline pump needed. Its currently with the guy you suggested here.

Ironically, after reading this thread yesterday my car broke down last night. New gasoline pump needed. Its currently with the guy you suggested here.

Glad it worked out for you - was he cheap?

NB - when my old auto would not go I went and picked him up from his garage. Brought him to my house. He said - need new petrol pump. He went and got one (2nd hand) and cut it to fit!

From memory the whole thing was 200 baht. I do not think that a main dealer would that. I could be wrong though.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Looked at a magazine whilst getting car detailed, fairly recent one, lady said you can purchase from Bookazine, had all second hand cars & second hand parts dealers, looked very interesting.So perhaps what I am trying to say, that second hand parts can be sourced from mainland & shipped here at very low cost.

Glad it worked out for you - was he cheap?

NB - when my old auto would not go I went and picked him up from his garage. Brought him to my house. He said - need new petrol pump. He went and got one (2nd hand) and cut it to fit!

From memory the whole thing was 200 baht. I do not think that a main dealer would that. I could be wrong though.

you would not be wrong they would not be allowed to do that under the terms and conditions of the franchise.

i awlays used the main dealers, at least they are trained by manufacture's and about same price, guess it depends on age of the car. Steve would be a good one also if he still does cars. he kept Big Joes truck, old banger looking like new. Meeting up with Big Joes brother in couple of weeks trip back home, live nearby looking forwards to that.

Main Dealers are a laugh a minute:

1) Wanted a new "leaf catcher" for the front of the pick up. Baht 1,700 and took Baht 1,000 deposit. One month later gave me the deposit back because they were no longer available. Local garage took two days to get one, fitted for Baht 1,800.

2) Went to Main Dealer to have the headlights "professionally' adjusted. This involved parking the car behind another car and aligning the lights on that.

3) Anyone who has bought a new car from the Main Dealer close to the Taling Ngam turn will be well aware of the "Red Plate" scam they are pulling.

As with the hospitals here, only as good as the doctor you get - garages only as good as the mechanic.

Dan Auto, have branches in Maenam and Nathong.

At Maenam between the Police Box and the Post Office - the manger speaks very good English (been living in US).

At Nathong just after the traffic light and the Caltex gasoline station on the way south to Lamai. The owner speaks fair English (not often there), whilst the foreman hardly speaks any English, but still understand problems with cars and do a good and fast job. Reasonable and fair prices.

@ steelerian

Nathong is the "capital" of Koh Samui, where the gouverment offices are and the car ferries comes in (North West on the island).

@ Rooo

Good mechanics here (lika Dan Auto) will be able to search for 2nd hand parts from mainland or Bangkok. Parts will be shipped with night bus and arrive next morning (if you call before 12 noon). Sometimes faster to get an overhauled 2nd hand part, than ordering a new from factory or import - not to forget: cheaper.