Cost Of Electricity

HarryLL76

If all goes as planned, I will move to Pattaya to livefull-time within the next two months. I have lived the last six years in a tropical climate but it was neither as humid nor as hot as Pattaya

I would like to get some opinions on the cost of electricity in Pattaya. I will probably use a living room air conditioner several hours during the day and the bed room unit all night.

Thanks in advance

Harry

It depends a lot on what you set the air conditioner at. I set mine in the 25 - 27C region. You have to make sure the place you are moving into is well sealed and the aircon is in good condition. A badly maintained unit can really waste a lot of electricity.

I use the aircon about as much as you are proposing and have a big place.

Monthly bill 1900 - 2100 baht charged at government rates.

Many places put a surcharge on electricity so you could be paying 2 baht or more per kWh extra depending on how greedy the landlord is. In many cases this can double the bill.

keeping your a/c ON but not low ( say 27 or 28) is a good move because it removes the humidity and also because once it has achieved the temperature you want it will cut out. turning it off for 12 hours then on means you are going to have to cool the walls, ceiling, floor furniture etc and of course air, so it will run like a bitch to achieve what you want.

We dont use a/c right now as the weather is good, but in the hot season I have 5 units. I usually run 3 of them with the doors open to all the rooms, and it is cheaper than letting the place turn into an oven then cranking them all up. they were running (via the thermostat) probably 50% of the daytime and only 30% of the night time. I have also insulate my roof space, have upvc windows and double skinned walls which helps. Also if you have anything which humidity can damge, books, pictures furniture, then this is a good idea

hope this helps

Many places put a surcharge on electricity so you could be paying 2 baht or more per kWh extra depending on how greedy the landlord is. In many cases this can double the bill.

2 Baht extra if you are lucky. I've seen places that want to charge 10B/unit, which is nearly triple the legal rate.

2 Baht extra if you are lucky. I've seen places that want to charge 10B/unit, which is nearly triple the legal rate.

There is no such thing as the legal rate, it is the rate that the Government charge. Condo owners can up that charge to cover costs of getting the Unit and the charges for the cables, I used to pay around 7baht per unit (Bangkok).

My advice to you is to use your AC as little as possible and let your body get acclimatised to the conditions of living in Thailand .... I now only use my AC for about an hour when I go to bed and use a fan the rest of the time ...(mind you it took me nearly a year to wean myself off the AC)......I run a 3 bedroom house with a swimming pool and lots of other electrical appliances and my bills average out to around 2300 baht per month which is about half what I used pay when using my AC all day

Can someone explain to me the point have having the air con on at 26 / 27 degrees?that's about the ambient temp outside at nights so why not just open the windows / door and only run a fan(s)?

JH

I'll help you out. My ambient room temperature with doors and windows open at night is always over 29C at this time of year, with around 80% humidity. Lately it has even been getting close to 31C on some nights. Knocking the temperature down to 27C at about 60% humidity is a huge difference to comfort. Another thing to consider is that not everyone sleeps at night here.

it is possible to find condos with government rate.

3.4 baht a unit.

I use one AC @26 °C throughout and the bill comes at about 1500 - 1600 baht a month.

Government rate is not 3.4 baht a unit. It is variable above and above 3.5 before tax.

Should be about 3-4K a month or thereabouts.

JH

I live in a small bungalow and have two air-cons running 24/7...with an 11k BTU in the living-room and a 9k in the bed-room. They are set at 29-30 degrees during the day and 30-31 at nite. I just received my most recent bill for last month = B 2710 or almost US$ 100.00. [used 701 units at cost of 3.8 per unit...this is direct from power company rate.]

This is pretty normal during the really hot/humid months of April-June/July, when the bill is from B 2500-4k per month. During the subsequent 2-3 months, it drops to around B 1500-2500k per month; and during the "cool season" of October-March, it runs from B500-1500 (often air-con if off for long stretches during this time).

If you are in a non-south-west facing condo, you costs may be less...or maybe more if you are not paying a direct power company rate. If in a small bungalow, probably similar if temp settings are similar.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Can someone explain to me the point have having the air con on at 26 / 27 degrees?that's about the ambient temp outside at nights so why not just open the windows / door and only run a fan(s)?

JH

I'll help you out. My ambient room temperature with doors and windows open at night is always over 29C at this time of year, with around 80% humidity. Lately it has even been getting close to 31C on some nights. Knocking the temperature down to 27C at about 60% humidity is a huge difference to comfort. Another thing to consider is that not everyone sleeps at night here.

Understood, thanks

JH

Comfort factor is one reason for air conditioning, but removing humidity from the home/furnishings/photos/clothes is another. If we don't run an AC in the wet season, our home has a moldy/musty smell. With the AC on a few hours a day, the humidity is reduced as is the musty/moldy smell.

3.4 baht a unit.

I use one AC @26 °C throughout and the bill comes at about 1500 - 1600 baht a month.

Government rate is not 3.4 baht a unit. It is variable above and above 3.5 before tax.

I calculated the average cost per unit, all-in.

As I don't use a lot of power, the progressive rate has an incidence.

JH

I always sleep with the windows open and at the moment it's so cool that fans are not needed and I evenI feel a little cold at night.

JH

Understood, thanks

JH

I can also get by with just a fan and do just that when I rough it in the Philippines, but I love the crisp feel of low humidity. I don't mind paying for it.

3.4 baht a unit.

Fair enough. It will make a difference if you use very little, but if a bill is around 2000 baht per month the average kWh rate is about 3.8 baht after tax. My current bill that came today was 2188, giving an average after tax kWh rate of 3.81

There is no such thing as the legal rate, it is the rate that the Government charge.

And so that is by definition the legal rate. Everything else is a supplement to the legal rate.

... I used to pay around 7baht per unit (Bangkok).

More fool you.

I can also get by with just a fan and do just that when I rough it in the Philippines, but I love the crisp feel of low humidity. I don't mind paying for it.

I'm sure we could all get by with just a fan, as above I prefer to be "cool" its a fact quality of sleep is improved when it is cooler, my electric bills are between 4 - 6k a month and I am not complaining, my personal comfort is very important to me :)

And I seem to have made an arse of "quote" - sorry

Edited by CGW

Here's a link to utility prices (updated end of November last year)

Utility Prices

Penkoprod

A very useful site indeed.

JOHN

Maybe, but according to the table for electric charges I should be paying less than 3 baht per kWh whereas I'm paying upwards of 3.5 (before tax) at a monthly usage averaging around 500 kwh... and I'm paying government rate. Perhaps someone could explain why we can't get the rates displayed on that website.

Here's a link to utility prices (updated end of November last year)

Utility Prices

Hi,

I must be too stupid but I do not see anything on this (linked) page corresponding

to what I see on my Electricity Company bills (tickets) ?? :unsure:

Average price per kW is about 3.56 baht on my bill for a low consumption.

And I do not see any indication about reduce prices offered by Thai government:

Many people pay only half price, or even have free electricity.

I live in a condo, use less than 100 kW/month and then pay 0 baht every month: Free :)

Here's a link to utility prices (updated end of November last year)Utility Prices
Hi,I must be too stupid but I do not see anything on this (linked) page corresponding to what I see on my Electricity Company bills (tickets) ?? :unsure: Average price per kW is about 3.56 baht on my bill for a low consumption.And I do not see any indication about reduce prices offered by Thai government:Many people pay only half price, or even have free electricity.I live in a condo, use less than 100 kW/month and then pay 0 baht every month: Free :)
Hello,we also use little electricity, last month 90kw, this month 84kw. Normally our bill is also 0 baht, but on this month we have to pay 283,83 baht???Did something change?

3.4 baht a unit.

You are correct M. Public policy in Thailand subsidizes the lowest consuming residential electricity users. At one point (maybe continued?) residential consumers under a certain kWh were receiving free electricity as part of a Thai economic stimulus package.