Renovation House

roberterik

Looking for a good Thai guy (or 2) in Loei area to help to renovate some parts of the house; moving some (block) walls, plastering, ceiling.Also interested to meet somebody who made his own western style kitchen.

2 years ago I built a house near Wang Suphung. It took a year and had my share of challenges, especially since it was a 50/50 Thai Western design. Some of my observations;

The best workers were the older guys. Noone turns up if it rains, or during rice season (planting and harvesting). If you see them having a whiskey after work there's a good chance they'll be out for a couple of days. Working hours don't mean much. Most is daily rate so they'll drag it out as long as possible. It can be hit and miss who turns up. I think this depends on who feels like working or not. The fact of whether they can do the job or not is irrelevant.

But it has to be mentioned that for the money I think they work hard and do a terrific job.

My Western Kitchen. I bought kit doors and drawers from Big Home and had the cabinets made. Alternatively HomePro of Index also have kit kitchens. Sinks taps and appliances I bought in Home Pro Udon Thani. Granite top I bought at small gravestone shop between Loei and Wang Suphung (not far from Concept). The stone place in Loei was VERY expensive.

Good luck and happy building

Thanks for your reply.

I'm already several years in the country and have the same experience as you.

Maybe some day we should share a beer together and exchance some more info.

You're welcome at my place and I like to show what I've achieved so far.

2 years ago I built a house near Wang Suphung. It took a year and had my share of challenges, especially since it was a 50/50 Thai Western design. Some of my observations;

The best workers were the older guys. Noone turns up if it rains, or during rice season (planting and harvesting). If you see them having a whiskey after work there's a good chance they'll be out for a couple of days. Working hours don't mean much. Most is daily rate so they'll drag it out as long as possible. It can be hit and miss who turns up. I think this depends on who feels like working or not. The fact of whether they can do the job or not is irrelevant.

But it has to be mentioned that for the money I think they work hard and do a terrific job.

My Western Kitchen. I bought kit doors and drawers from Big Home and had the cabinets made. Alternatively HomePro of Index also have kit kitchens. Sinks taps and appliances I bought in Home Pro Udon Thani. Granite top I bought at small gravestone shop between Loei and Wang Suphung (not far from Concept). The stone place in Loei was VERY expensive.

Good luck and happy building

Hi

I had the same problems when I revamped the hong nam, needed to break up the floor as the foundation was done poorly.

Any how got 2 guys to help me, the first day were ok they second and third day they did not show up because of drinking.

They showed up the 4th day still half drunk so I sent them home.

End of the story i redid the whole hong nam by myself.