Big C Location Confirmed

tomat

You are right, it did indeed turn out to be nothing more than a rumor in the end.

Oh well, at least we have Makro very soon, last I heard they said 5-6 December as opening date which sounds weird to me if they haven't actually planned the grand opening yet.

I have heard this store is only, "FOR THR BUSINESS RETAILER, NOT THE YOU OR I BUYER":whistling:

Have you been to a Makro before ? Many items are combined and sold for the business retailer but alll consumers are welcome

You are right, it did indeed turn out to be nothing more than a rumor in the end.

Oh well, at least we have Makro very soon, last I heard they said 5-6 December as opening date which sounds weird to me if they haven't actually planned the grand opening yet.

I have heard this store is only, "FOR THR BUSINESS RETAILER, NOT THE YOU OR I BUYER":whistling:

Have you been to a Makro before ? Many items are combined and sold for the business retailer but alll consumers are welcome

OH ya been there done that

This is a false rumor, if you drive by and look, yes the land is cleared, but have "FOR SALE" sings up for the property, guess Big C decided different.:(

Regarding this post and any other I suggest following MacSubic's advice and believe nothing you read and only half of what you see...

Is it difficult to get a business license of some sort?

Earlier this month we were at Central Bangna in Bangkok. While my wife was renewing her passport at the government office in that complex, I wandered through (the huge) Tops Market there. I thought I was back in the U.S.! The market was clean, uncluttered, and had items imported from around the world at (less than Villa Market) reasonable prices. There were many items from the U.S. that I have not seen anywhere else and their bakery section, meat and seafood section, and fresh vegetables and fruits sections were better stocked with fresher items than I've seen at any other store in Thailand. Made Tesco look like total crap and the Big C's I've been to (like the one in Petchaburi) are Tesco clones, certainly nothing special.

Where did the following chains originate anyway:

Tesco - (England is what I've heard?)

Big C (Carrefour) - (France is what I've heard?)

Tops?

Foodland?

Villa Market - (Thai family owned chain according to a friend who owns a restaurant here?)

Tesco is British

Carrefour is French

Big C not sure but could be French as there are branches in Vietnam and Cambodia

Foodland is, I think, mainly Thai but part American

Vila Market is Thai

Tops is part of the Central Group.

I agree with you about Tops supermarket, will be visiting the one at Central Childlom next week. We go up there from Hua Hin every 3 months or so to stock up.

Tops and the more up scale Central Food Halls is run by British retail execs, ex Sainsburys etc.

That is why you even see such items as Waitrose products (Waitrose is an up scale British retailer for those that don't know) and a vast difference in the appearance and layout even from just a couple of years ago.

Tops never used to make a profit in the Central group but these guys have turned it around.

• 3 weeks later...