Big C Location Confirmed

tomat

One of my staff just got back from the municipality and she was told by one of her friends in there that the location of the new Big C in Hua Hin have now been approved, and will be almost right next to the new Makro popping up at the moment at Soi 4, to the North.

Let's see them start building before it's 100% sure, but it comes from a reliable source :)

Big C, Tesco, what's the difference? What we really need here is a Tops or Foodland!

Big C took over Carrefour and call them Big C extra or something similar. Better than ordinary Big C

I fully agree; do not want to be greedy but it would be nice to have both!

Big C, Tesco, what's the difference? What we really need here is a Tops or Foodland!

Big C took over Carrefour and call them Big C extra or something similar. Better than ordinary Big C

You must be joking right?It's Big Crap and Extra Big Crap.

Wow, Big C coming to Hua Hin, you heard it from a reliable source, good god, I have'nt heard such terrific news for such a long time. I really appreciate you telling us your staff's goss it really enlighten's us all. I cannot put into words how excited I am, the choice, do I go to Tesco, G Supermarket or NOW Big C, how do I make my mind up, THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU. :unsure:

Any more stuff like this get it here mate, asap, please, please, make our lives exciting. :(

I live in Phuket and Big C Extra took over Carrefour here and my input is....they kept many of the food items the same...but there are also many that they discontinued...many specialty things..I guess it's things that I like so maybe I was more sensitive to it...certain organis items etc......when the take over happened the Big C computer system was all screwed up and what happened was the present stock got depleted and they couldn't make orders to restock the shelves...The store was half empty for over a month...You can actually see a difference in the way the store is being run...it's low class and also having talked to some employees whop were there under Carrefour, they don't like working for Big C

I live in Phuket and Big C Extra took over Carrefour here and my input is....they kept many of the food items the same...but there are also many that they discontinued...many specialty things..I guess it's things that I like so maybe I was more sensitive to it...certain organis items etc......when the take over happened the Big C computer system was all screwed up and what happened was the present stock got depleted and they couldn't make orders to restock the shelves...The store was half empty for over a month...You can actually see a difference in the way the store is being run...it's low class and also having talked to some employees whop were there under Carrefour, they don't like working for Big C

agree BigC Extra is not on par with Carrefour, but I prefere it over Tesco

Earlier this month we were at Central Bangna in Bangkok. While my wife was renewing her passport at the government office in that complex, I wandered through (the huge) Tops Market there. I thought I was back in the U.S.! The market was clean, uncluttered, and had items imported from around the world at (less than Villa Market) reasonable prices. There were many items from the U.S. that I have not seen anywhere else and their bakery section, meat and seafood section, and fresh vegetables and fruits sections were better stocked with fresher items than I've seen at any other store in Thailand. Made Tesco look like total crap and the Big C's I've been to (like the one in Petchaburi) are Tesco clones, certainly nothing special.

Where did the following chains originate anyway:

Tesco - (England is what I've heard?)

Big C (Carrefour) - (France is what I've heard?)

Tops?

Foodland?

Villa Market - (Thai family owned chain according to a friend who owns a restaurant here?)

Earlier this month we were at Central Bangna in Bangkok. While my wife was renewing her passport at the government office in that complex, I wandered through (the huge) Tops Market there. I thought I was back in the U.S.! The market was clean, uncluttered, and had items imported from around the world at (less than Villa Market) reasonable prices. There were many items from the U.S. that I have not seen anywhere else and their bakery section, meat and seafood section, and fresh vegetables and fruits sections were better stocked with fresher items than I've seen at any other store in Thailand. Made Tesco look like total crap and the Big C's I've been to (like the one in Petchaburi) are Tesco clones, certainly nothing special.

Tops?

Foodland?

Villa Market - (Thai family owned chain according to a friend who owns a restaurant here?)

Tesco is British

Carrefour is French

Big C not sure but could be French as there are branches in Vietnam and Cambodia

Foodland is, I think, mainly Thai but part American

Vila Market is Thai

Tops is part of the Central Group.

I agree with you about Tops supermarket, will be visiting the one at Central Childlom next week. We go up there from Hua Hin every 3 months or so to stock up.

Tops?

Foodland?

I should add that Tesco in the UK is NOTHING like Tesco here!

Tesco is British

Carrefour is French

Big C not sure but could be French as there are branches in Vietnam and Cambodia

Foodland is, I think, mainly Thai but part American

Vila Market is Thai

Tops is part of the Central Group.

I agree with you about Tops supermarket, will be visiting the one at Central Childlom next week. We go up there from Hua Hin every 3 months or so to stock up.

Edited by 1huahin

Tops?

Foodland?

We have two Tops here in Phuket, and do some shopping there, but no problem to manage without when we live in Hua Hin.

What I have missd in Hua Hin is Makro, but seems to be on rail now.

Makro and Villa Market basicly cover 90% of what we need

Tops?

Foodland?

We have two Tops here in Phuket, and do some shopping there, but no problem to manage without when we live in Hua Hin.

There is a Makro in Pranburi so not too far to go until the new store opens

Tops?

Foodland?

Yes, MAKRO at Pranburi are excellent along with the Tesco store there - no where as crowded as the one in HH.

Excellent fresh meat/fruit/veg at Makro with huge carpark. No requirement to enrol, just walk in. I use these two all the time now as I am on the south side of HH some 10kms from Market village. I suppose that another large 'chain' opening up in the HH area should, 'In theory' keep everybody on their toes; but only time will tell as I feel sure that they run a 'cartel' amongst themselves.

Tops?

Foodland?

Yes, MAKRO at Pranburi are excellent along with the Tesco store there - no where as crowded as the one in HH.

Excellent fresh meat/fruit/veg at Makro with huge carpark. No requirement to enrol, just walk in. I use these two all the time now as I am on the south side of HH some 10kms from Market village. I suppose that another large 'chain' opening up in the HH area should, 'In theory' keep everybody on their toes; but only time will tell as I feel sure that they run a 'cartel' amongst themselves.

Do you need a membership card or be a registered business to shop at Makro? as in the UK you need to actually join, I guess so they can send you a load of marketing crap and junk mail ;-) and is it cheaper than Tesco etc? everybody seems to rave about Marko but I've never actually been. If they have a good selection of falang food then I'll make a trip over to Pranburi.

Tops?

Foodland?

Do you need a membership card or be a registered business to shop at Makro? as in the UK you need to actually join, I guess so they can send you a load of marketing crap and junk mail ;-) and is it cheaper than Tesco etc? everybody seems to rave about Marko but I've never actually been. If they have a good selection of falang food then I'll make a trip over to Pranburi.

read the post above you

"No requirement to enrol, just walk in"

read the post above you

"No requirement to enrol, just walk in"

sign up when you enter shop, use a guest card for 1st shopping, and pick up your permanent card next time

membership qualifies for "gifts" on shopping, sometimes as good as buy 3 x 24 coke, get 1 x 24 coke free

good selection in meat, lamb, beef, and frozen food, and as many cases of San Mig Light I want, not sold out very often

Good selection in farang food

This is makro in general, dont know how well run the Pranbury store is, as I have only botherd to drive there couple of times

Tesco is nothing like it is in the UK as they work on a different concept to the other multinationals they go into a market to serve the local trade not the expats who happen to be there obviously they put in a token amount of UK type products but in Thailand it is products for the Thai´s as in China its for the Chinese, in the US they have virtually no UK products for where they operate see www.tescopoly.org

• 2 months later...

it seems there are a number of expats living in Hua Hin now as well as some of the more affluent Thai's

so why is it that Tops or Foodland have not established there yet?

what about the quality of the products in the supermarkets that are already there?

it seems there are a number of expats living in Hua Hin now as well as some of the more affluent Thai's

what about the quality of the products in the supermarkets that are already there?

Villa Market is quite good and has most we Westerners need. There are also three bakeries, a French butcher and Hua Hin Ham & Bacon.

Villa Market is quite good and has most we Westerners need. There are also three bakeries, a French butcher and Hua Hin Ham & Bacon.

Villa market offers everything you can get at Foodland etc.....why not try the Shopping Mall on Petchkasem, cheese and other products on sale a lot cheaper than anywhere else.....also you have probably the best bakery in Thailand..The Baguete...pies, pasties, puffs are fantastic and cheap.

Just thought I would update on this. Today someone have started clearing the land where supposedly Big C will be built. Just a couple hundred meters North of the Makro being built.

Yes I have seen the same, would be nice if Big C were going to build there, we live very near this location. Would save fighting traffic going thru town to shop. But with all the speculation on what is going in there, we'll all just have to wait and see, my guess a new factory outlet store, this is just what the area needs, (LOL LOL LOL):lol: another store to pass on all the junk that won't sell at the next one up the road.:bah:

Edited by PingManDan

• 1 month later...

probably important to quite a lot of people baz..... like the people who will work there, the people who will shop there, the people who will supply it, the people who are shareholders at tesco

open your mind bazzi - there's a beauitiful world out there... dont let it pass u by :blink:

You are right, it did indeed turn out to be nothing more than a rumor in the end.

Oh well, at least we have Makro very soon, last I heard they said 5-6 December as opening date which sounds weird to me if they haven't actually planned the grand opening yet.

last I heard they said 5-6 December as opening date which sounds weird to me if they haven't actually planned the grand opening yet.

Correction to that, we just got our Makro cards delivered by a guy from Makro. On the envelope was stamped grand opening January 11th. So no Christmas shopping in Makro :(

On the bright side, on the leaflets in the envelope it says that this Makro will have imported foods and beverages which sounds very interesting indeed!

You are right, it did indeed turn out to be nothing more than a rumor in the end.

Oh well, at least we have Makro very soon, last I heard they said 5-6 December as opening date which sounds weird to me if they haven't actually planned the grand opening yet.

I have heard this store is only, "FOR THR BUSINESS RETAILER, NOT THE YOU OR I BUYER":whistling: