Nakhon Phanon Info Wanted

hgma

hi

is there anybody among the visa members whom i get in direct contact with regarding life in nakhon phanon.

Family with 2 young children related. thinking about moving to nakhon but hardly have any solid information

int.schools?

hospital standards

rentals

experiences?

we would appreciate any advice.

fam hgma

Nakhon Phanom is a nice and quiet area.

There are some "international" program starting in some schools this year, under the active pulling of few expatriates and the President of Nakhon Phanom University.

The hospital is a first emergency level, for important diseases, you have to go to Khon Khaen.

A small TESCO, so from time to time you have to go to Sakhon Nakhon where you have TESCO, Big C and MAKRO and also the famous Franco Thai butchery (Wholesale... but sell also to individuals), the best meat of Thailand.

Friendly people, quiet...Not yet invaded by too much farangs....

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

A little piece of paradise.

Been here 9 years without regret -- beautiful sunrises & sunsets.

Many ethnic groups with many dialects but overall nice people.

I believe each year the town is in the top 3 places in Thailand which have the hottest, coldest & wettest climates.

More than 400 foreigners registered within NKP Province with maybe 100 or so around the town --- there are some groups who meet up but up to the individual.

A few worthwhile places of entertainment but limited.....

I know many foreigners who teach in various schools. Maybe a posting on ajarn.com will get you more info on the available programmes.

Should be noted that the local drivers are the worst I have seen anywhere in the world; but they usually drive slowly avoiding major collisions.

House rentals are available at a variety of prices but expect to pay 8,000 for something decent.

New hospital but still limited services and expertise -- I believe. There are better hospitals in Mukdahen (100 kms) Sakhon Nakhon (100) & Udon Thani especially (300).

There are nearer Tescos with fresh produce; Tha Uthen 30 kms and Tat Phanom 50 but the local one is disappointing. BigC intended to build on the outskirts of town but nothing heard about that for a year now.

The bridge to Laos opens 11/11/11.

Try a week's holiday, drive around then make your decisiont.

I believe each year the town is in the top 3 places in Thailand which have the hottest, coldest & wettest climates.

More than 400 foreigners registered within NKP Province with maybe 100 or so around the town --- there are some groups who meet up but up to the individual.

I know many foreigners who teach in various schools. Maybe a posting on ajarn.com will get you more info on the available programmes.

Should be noted that the local drivers are the worst I have seen anywhere in the world; but they usually drive slowly avoiding major collisions.

House rentals are available at a variety of prices but expect to pay 8,000 for something decent.

New hospital but still limited services and expertise -- I believe. There are better hospitals in Mukdahen (100 kms) Sakhon Nakhon (100) & Udon Thani especially (300).

There are nearer Tescos with fresh produce; Tha Uthen 30 kms and Tat Phanom 50 but the local one is disappointing. BigC intended to build on the outskirts of town but nothing heard about that for a year now.

Try a week's holiday, drive around then make your decision.

Riepan

Thank you so much for your posted information.

appreciate it

hgma

Try a week's holiday, drive around then make your decision.

jerrytheyoung

we do appreciate your information.

especially medic-care is of importance

any way

thanks

hgma

There are some "international" program starting in some schools this year, under the active pulling of few expatriates and the President of Nakhon Phanom University.

The hospital is a first emergency level, for important diseases, you have to go to Khon Khaen.

A small TESCO, so from time to time you have to go to Sakhon Nakhon where you have TESCO, Big C and MAKRO and also the famous Franco Thai butchery (Wholesale... but sell also to individuals), the best meat of Thailand.

jerrytheyoung

we do appreciate your information.

especially medic-care is of importance

any way

thanks

hgma

you are welcome....

• 2 months later...

Re: Nakhon Phanom Bridge Opening

The official opening of the Nakhon Phanom Friendship Bridge is on 11.11.11

Local (Sakon Nakhon) bar stool talk is that the bridge is already open.

I'd appreciate a yes or no confirmation from someone who has witnessed the fact,

Once the bridge is open, will the ferry cease operation?