No Parking

HDRIDER

How come that a lot of new development, apartment, condo and even houses don’t have decent parking, is there no law in Thailand that when building there should be parking???? When i drive around i see a lot places with no or look like they have no parking. Most people have a care today or do they??

Patong has very few houses with parking bays, the blocks of land are to small

The cheaper houses and estates have little or no parking also

More expensive houses on bigger blocks do have driveways and carports

each unit needs one parking place 3 x 6 meters to get a building permit and Tabien Baan.

In small units, owners often convert this to outdoor or indoor living area, and use street parking

for condos and apartmentbuildings, there must be car park for 50% of the units, IOW 50 units, 25 car parks

for hotels, zero requirement

Patong has very few houses with parking bays, the blocks of land are to small

The cheaper houses and estates have little or no parking also

More expensive houses on bigger blocks do have driveways and carports

each unit needs one parking place 3 x 6 meters to get a building permit and Tabien Baan.

In small units, owners often convert this to outdoor or indoor living area, and use street parking

for condos and apartmentbuildings, there must be car park for 50% of the units, IOW 50 units, 25 car parks

for hotels, zero requirement

Fair enough, when we lived in Chalong we used the carport area as a outdoor living area

If you parked the car there you would be battling to get in the front door so we parked in the

street like nearly everybody else did.

Whats the use of one parking bay for every two units and not allowing for visitors, i would

not rent or buy there

dont worry the "astonishing" behaviour doesn't end in Thailand, I heard a story just recently about a developer in Sydney, They built a 300 room complex in the CBD. They put in their applications and it was rejected. It was rejected because they had too much parking. They had one spot for each unit/apartment. They had to reduce it to 80. The argument from the local council was "there are allready enough cars in the CBD"

My immediate thoughts were:

If you had a car and lived in the CBD you would just use it on weekends....generally people who live in the CBD, also work in the CBD. If they didnt have a car then they could rent out their spot. Still the same amount of cars coming into the CBD.

If there is problems with traffic jams it would be fair to guess people would be driving around looking for parking. So if there was excess parking there would be less traffic. Same as in Bangkok, Im sure if they thought it out a bit better then there wouldnt be so many jams. There are bigger cities than BKK with less traffic woes

Fair enough, when we lived in Chalong we used the carport area as a outdoor living area

If you parked the car there you would be battling to get in the front door so we parked in the

street like nearly everybody else did.

Whats the use of one parking bay for every two units and not allowing for visitors, i would

not rent or buy there

upmarket condos have one marked parking for each condo and guest parking/second car. but low end just meets government requirements.

the land price of one car park can be 450.000 baht pluss driveways