Reputable Jeweler To Reset Diamond In Ring

TenDreams

Can anyone recommend a jeweler that can reset a diamond that has come out of a gold crown on a platinum ring?

We tried a few in Hua Hin, but they said it would mean sending it up to BKK for a week to have the work done, and I don't want the ring or the diamond to leave my sight (great sentimental value). Any tips would be appreciated, cheers.

we had similar problem in Bangkok. Not happy to risk to have the diamond gone for days or more we went to a gold shop across the jewellery's shops in the same Mall where they fix Buddhas etc...within few minutes in front of us the diamond was reinserted properly sealed with sumo very hard glue very neatly for THB 100 since we are happy and of course careful knowing it can go out again

If you want it done right, you are likely not going to be able to sit and watch them do it. Even a simple resetting is going to take a couple hours. The fact that other jewelers said they couldn't do it is probably a good indication it is not a simple job. As for glue .. STAY AWAY FROM IT unless you want the diamond lost forever in the future. Glue is not permanent and is not the way to set a diamond and will dramatically reduce the value of the ring. But bottom line is you want it done right to both keep the value of the ring as well as not lose the diamond in the future.

Your asking for a reputable jeweler is the best way to go but you can also take additional steps too. Get the diamond appraised in writing from a shop that does this before yo go to the repair shop. Then when you go to the repair shop, show them the appraisal and have them sign off that this is the diamond you have provided them. Then you want to ask about insurance the store has in the case of them losing or the diamond being stolen while in their possession. Not sure how it is done in Thailand but elsewhere you should be able to get a receipt stating what you have given them with their guarantee of responsibility. Don't worry about appearing untrusting. If done properly they will understand and if they don't then it is probably not somebody you want to do business with. Simply explain to them the diamond & ring have significant family value.

And remember, just because a shop is trustworthy, don't assume they didn't just hire a clerk who is not. Hopefully you will get a referral to not only a good place but also have the owners or managers name too who you can ask for directly.

I wish I knew who to refer you to and hope I didn't add to your worries but truth be told, most Thais are honest in such matters and even if you went into a random shop, you're likely to be taken care of. But if you show you have done your homework (appraisal) then it is highly doubtful any place will rip you off .. especially if you go in with your Thai wife (assuming she is Thai). A shop is not going to want to risk jail and or their reputation when they know dam_n well the first thing you are going to do when you leave is go back to the place that did the appraisal to make sure it is the same diamond they put in the new setting.

But don't get focused only on trust ... your big concern should be a reputable place that will do a good job.

After you get it repaired, invest in a magnifying glass to check out every once the prongs holding the diamond to make sure the diamond doesn't become lose again. If it is your wife's ring, I'm sure she will enjoy this chore every few months.

Not sure of your time frame or even if this will help but I recalled a big Diamond Expo in BKK last August. I did an internet search to see if they were having it again this year and found this ... http://www.diamondworld.net/eventDisplay.aspx?EventId=377 or http://www.bangkokgemsfair.com/

It is sponsored by Thai Gem and Jewelry Traders Association .. if you cannot find some recommendations here on TV, maybe you can check with them.