Australian Atsb Investigating Tg Over Last Nights Incident In Melbourne

Re 24th July 2011

A Thai Airways plane flew too low as it landed at Melbourne Airport last night safely. Sometimes humans screw up, things happen, plane landed an no one hurt.

"Air Services spokesman Matt Wardell confirmed that the aircraft was too low as it approached the runway. Air services Webtrack system recorded the Bangkok to Melbourne flight at about 1020 ft over Sunshine North at 8.19pm yesterday. About two minutes later the flight was recorded at about 4121 ft.

Mr Wardell said ATC staff realised the plane was too low and instructed the pilot to fly around the airport and reattempt the landing. The plane landed safely at about 8.36pm. Mr Wardell said Air services Australia would report the flight to ATSB"

Source: http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/458383-thai-airways-really-low-around-melbourne-airport.html

TIT whistling.gif

Edited by Maestro
Added quote tags and link to source.

Same thing happened to Tiger Air and they got grounded three weeks ago. Are the Victorians sure their equipment is working right. I recall speed cameras recording a Mac truck doing 180km/hr down a highway. Fortunately for the owner of the truck he was able to prove in court there was no possible way with the gearing in the truck he could have been doing 180km/hr. The case was thrown out.. After this, thousands of speeding tickets were challenged....

Air Services Australia equipment has nothing to do with Victorian authorities.

After Air Asia descended to low into Gold Coast, CASA (Australian CAA, FAA etc) sent a team KL to audit & investigate Air Asia procedures and make Air Asia implement some changes if they want to continue flying to oz.

Tiger Airway which is owned by Tiger Airwasy Holdings, a Singapore based Company, which is partly owned by Singapore Airlines, flew below the minimum altitude near Melbourne airport on 20 April 2011 and on 20 June 2011 then descended to below MSA near Avalon Airport which is the secondary airport for Melbourne.

On 2 July 2011 Tiger aircraft were suspended from flying by CASA due safety concerns . They now have 10 A320 aircraft on the ground parked in Australia nearly 3 weeks later still.

There will 99.9% be consequences for Thai Airways operations to Australia, be it possibly minor, eg an ATSB investigation and recommendations in training or procedures. CASA is playing hard ball with Asian " Mai Pen Rai " on safety.whistling.gif

Edited by haveaniceday

Strange that webtrak does not show this on any dates round this. http://webtrak.bksv.com/mel

The only other place I found info on this was on an aviation forum and the post referred to an article posted on the Age's website, a search of that website found nothing about the incident, so it seems this may be a fabricated story.

//Closed//

Strange that webtrak does not show this on any dates round this. http://webtrak.bksv.com/mel

The only other place I found info on this was on an aviation forum and the post referred to an article posted on the Age's website, a search of that website found nothing about the incident, so it seems this may be a fabricated story.

//Closed//

Re opened

http://avherald.com/h?article=4403e7bf&opt=0

I remember being on a TG flight out of the Don back around 2000, I was with a friend who was an ATC for both Tullamarine and Moorabbin airports, he seemed concerned at boarding about hand luggage people were taking on, anyway he read his book as normal during take off until we rotated and nothing happened, he looked up and tried to estimate if we were past no return, we were, Pilot dropped the nose for another good 500m and rotated again and we went out flat to about 10,000ft where we had burnt off enough fuel to start a decent climb, wasn't too scary but at the back of a 747 at full power everything shakes, it reminded me of my old HQ kingswood at 140kmh. Guess they fully fueled it to avoid fueling in Tullamarine for the return, full fuel and full baggage doesnt seem to agree with a 747.

Thank you for reopening the thread with the supplied links.

It is amazing how the Thai media are protecting Thai Airways on this one, this was a serous incident. It is comical how the Thai media have burred their head in the sand on this one !!!!! TIT

To put it into perspective, it is similar to a large wide body jet with 350 seats flying over Bangkok at about 700 feet or only 250m off the ground, most likely on a decent in landing configuration at night.

It is concerning how many actions, checks and cross checks and Standard Operating Procedures seem to have been ignored by the crew, even more concerning is, 'What systems does TG have in place that this can get through'? ...... very concerning indeed.

bah.gif

Flying about 700 ft above the roof tops of the western suburbs of Melbourne.?Nth Sunshine! Thats game !! Melbourne isnt Sydney. Im surprised no-one came out into the backyard and took pot shots at it. Actually they probably did we just havent heard about .Officals should check the fuselage for shot gun pellet holes.Nice one chopper !

A Garuda airlines 747 once landed at Essendon airport close to Tullamarine.Normally that place only takes small private jets and cessna's. Must of given flight control a shock.

It is concerning how many actions, checks and cross checks and Standard Operating Procedures seem to have been ignored by the crew, even more concerning is, 'What systems does TG have in place that this can get through'? ...... very concerning indeed.

Maybe we should wait until the investigation is complete, and the report is issued? I expect your concerns and questions will be addressed.

I'm not sure why the local press is not reporting this incident? I doubt that they are all in collusion to protect TG as there are many news outlets that are anti-current establishment.

For the 3L approach at DMK (VTBD), the elevation at say Lat Yao would be 1,500 feet ( 5 mile final ), not that this approach was used very often as it overflies Chitralada.

I fly UA mostly, and they allow passengers to listen to ATC (aka Ch 9), pilot's discretion. When returning to BKK I always listen once we enter Thai airspace. Most of the controllers are female. Anyway, flight levels, headings and speeds are called out quite clearly. My vague recollection is that 5 miles out we are at 1,900 feet, and we almost always (34 out 35 arrivals) land on 19R.