Prescription Drug Law Changes

littrellml

I normally get a 10 pack of Halcion to get my system to readjust to sleeping quicker when I go to Thailand. I last bought some the end of September 2003. My Thai girlfriend tells me now the law has changed and they are no longer available without a prescription.

I can't seem to find anything in the Bangkok Post or anywhere else on the internet. Can anyone confirm this change or enforcement of the prescription drug law?

I just got a Funny someone was asking about this. I just went through the same thing and I happened to be seeing a doctor about something else and asked him what was going on.

With the war on drugs they have classified sleeping aids with all narcotics. Makes sense because Valum, Halcyon, Demerol, etc.. Are all narcotics and have highly addictive qualities. To make a long story short a doctor must proscribe the drugs. Then he has to fill out a report to send to the Government.

So I got a small proscription from him and refilled them in VN.

What makes no sense is the best sleeping aide is a drug called Adivan (Spelling) has little addictive qualities and no hangover. It’s not available in the Thai..

Good luck…

The problem of taking prescribed drugs for insomnia, which have not been acquired

with an authentic prescription from a qualified medical practitioner following a proper evaluation as to the cause of the insomnia is asking for trouble! Drugs bought from

so-called pharmacies manned by unqualified dispensers may result in :- over dosage,

fake drugs, poisoning etc..

Insomnia may be symptom of a serious underlying condition - go and see a proper doctor.

Richard

Trop.Disease Scientist

N.E. Thailand

If I read your original question correctly, you require Halcion to help you overcome the strains of jet lag when you arrive here. A bit like using a pile driver to open a nut.

Your best answer is to prepare yourself by ensuring you are calm and well exercised prior to departure. On the journey drink a lot, but NO alcohol. On arrival, do not sleep or rest much until after 9 - 10 pm. Force yourself to get up at a normal time. You will then find you should have overcome your adjustment problems within 24 to 48 hours. Taking any drug can prolong this period and most mild, OTC sleeping pills have a diuretic effect, which can cause pulmonary or other embolism in those recovering from the stress of travel.