Ais Will Commercially Launch 3G Nationwide Tomorrow

News have been going around that AIS is going to launch their 3G on 900MHz tomorrow.

I've been using AIS 3G in Chiang Mai and I have to say that I'm incredibly happy. The only thing that I'm not happy about is the coverage in Bangkok (which was almost non-existent last month)

Looks like Thai private companies are efficient enough, given how they can do everything in just a month, as long as the government doesn't interfere.

Cannot wait!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some Google translated posts from Thai forums...

AIS offers 3G service on both 900Mhz and across the country tomorrow on a base station that 1884 of tomorrow (28 July) will be the first day of the AIS will provide 3G services first phase of a full pass through the base station and the area. 3G service coverage than most 1884 stations across the country. AIS 3G service on frequency 900Mhz and up to 21Mbps, so the phone will be available on AIS 3G is compatible with 3G on both 900Mhz as well. for the province that has been upgraded. 3G in the first phase are as follows. Bangkok. Chon Buri Chiang Mai Phuket , Hat Yai. Chiang Rai Nakhon Ratchasima Khon Kaen Thailand. Lampang Hello my AIS 3G! :).

Number of base stations will be open

Bangkok 1340 base station.

Chonburi 152 base stations.

London 148 base stations.

PHUKET 78 base stations.

Yai 46 base stations.

Rai 48 base stations.

Nakhon Ratchasima, 30 base stations.

Kaen 25 base stations.

Prachuab 7 base stations.

Lampang 10 base stations.

Yes, an iPhone4 can operate on 900 Mhz 3G.

This is not a rumor.

There is going to be a big launch party tomorrow.

Edited by lomatopo

Whoa! Where did that suddenly come from???

Does this look like they were just waiting until a new government was in place before switching this on? 'cause it certainly does to me. Let's see what the data plans are, this is ... exciting.

And I don't know but AIS 3G was previously on a frequency not usable by the iPhone... the Chiang Mai trials were uninteresting for me for that reason.

Some Google translated posts from Thai forums...

AIS offers 3G service on both 900Mhz and across the country tomorrow on a base station that 1884 of tomorrow (28 July) will be the first day of the AIS will provide 3G services first phase of a full pass through the base station and the area. 3G service coverage than most 1884 stations across the country. AIS 3G service on frequency 900Mhz and up to 21Mbps, so the phone will be available on AIS 3G is compatible with 3G on both 900Mhz as well. for the province that has been upgraded. 3G in the first phase are as follows. Bangkok. Chon Buri Chiang Mai Phuket , Hat Yai. Chiang Rai Nakhon Ratchasima Khon Kaen Thailand. Lampang Hello my AIS 3G! :).

Number of base stations will be open

Bangkok 1340 base station.

Chonburi 152 base stations.

London 148 base stations.

PHUKET 78 base stations.

Yai 46 base stations.

Rai 48 base stations.

Nakhon Ratchasima, 30 base stations.

Kaen 25 base stations.

Prachuab 7 base stations.

Lampang 10 base stations.

Chiang Mai == London in Google translate?

Whoa! Where did that suddenly come from???

Does this look like they were just waiting until a new government was in place before switching this on? 'cause it certainly does to me. Let's see what the data plans are, this is ... exciting.

And I don't know but AIS 3G was previously on a frequency not usable by the iPhone... the Chiang Mai trials were uninteresting for me for that reason.

They just started installing more base stations at the end of June.

I think once the 2100MHz spectra are unlocked, we will have the coverage within 3 months. Telcos are literally dying to upgrade but the law forbids them.

I think once the 2100MHz spectra are unlocked, we will have the coverage within 3 months. Telcos are literally dying to upgrade but the law forbids them.

2100 Mhz licenses will probably not auctioned until Q4/2012, best case.

2100 Mhz is desirable as the concession-holders tax is only 6% (the amount a service provider would pay to TOT or CAT), while the current "in-band migration fiasco", essentially the only open path, calls for a 30% tax. But I'm not sure anyone ever actually pays the tax, in hopes of a government du jour. :whistling:

Yes, an iPhone4 can operate on 900 Mhz 3G.

This is not a rumor.

There is going to be a big launch party tomorrow.

Bah. Unfortunately iPhone 3GS does not support 3G on 900MHz, only 850, 1900, and 2100.

Should I switch to TrueMove or keep waiting for AIS 3G on 2100MHz? I live in Chiang Mai...

Bah. Unfortunately iPhone 3GS does not support 3G on 900MHz, only 850, 1900, and 2100.

Should I switch to TrueMove or keep waiting for AIS 3G on 2100MHz? I live in Chiang Mai...

I live in Chiang Mai and tried both. AIS 3G's speed is superior in Chiang Mai (I maxed out at 6Mbps at any given time with AIS). True advertised the same but I kept getting nothing more than 4Mbps.

If you are using iPhone 3GS, switch to True. 2100MHz is still nothing more than a dream.

Neither. Switch to an iPhone 4, or, if you like, wait for the iPhone 5 (which will support even more frequencies)

I guess the iPhone 4 has always supported 900MHz, I totally missed that. I looked at AIS 3G trials back when I had the 3GS so I got disinterested and never checked it out again...

As for speeds - time will tell. Currently the True 3G network has way more subscribers so it's gonna be slower. Once AIS sees some heavy usage, they will slow down too, particularly in crowded areas. That said, AIS has an excellent reputation for building out their network - I don't think that would change under Temasek. In the long run, my bet would be on AIS.

CAT/Truemove/Realmove H are building out 850 Mhz; DTAC is hoping/planning/trying to build out 850 Mhz; TOT/SAMMART/MVNOs are building out 1900 Mhz so plenty of options coming for you.

Am I right to assume that the 3G dongle from the O2 company in the UK which I also use here successfully with an AIS sim card, on gprs/Edge, will work with 3G here when it's switched on.

Am I right to assume that the 3G dongle from the O2 company in the UK which I also use here successfully with an AIS sim card, on gprs/Edge, will work with 3G here when it's switched on.

O2 dongles sold after January this year supports 900MHz 3G & 2100MHz.

Possibly. Does it support 3G on 900 Mhz? (What is the make/model no.? I assume it's unlocked as you are using it on AIS now.)

I think the UK uses 2100 Mhz but almost all aircards are at least dual-band: 900/2100, so pending a review of the specs of the model (probably made Huawei) I'd say it would probably work.

If it is the Huawei E1752Cu then no, it would not work on 900 Mhz 3G (but it would work on True (850) and TOT (2100):

Huawei E1752Cu USB Modem Specifications:.

Compatibility with HSPA + network.

Download speed up to 7.2 Mbps.

International compatibility - Worldwide service.

HSPA / UMTS 2100 / 1900/AWS/850MHz.

GSM / GPRS / EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz.

The make/model no. should be easily found on the unit.

Edited by lomatopo

O2 dongles sold after January this year supports 900MHz 3G & 2100MHz.

Ahh. I bought it about a year ago so I guess that means 3G in the UK runs on a different frequency (800MHz ?)

Possibly. Does it support 3G on 900 Mhz? (What is the make/model no.? I assume it's unlocked as you are using it on AIS now.)

I think the UK uses 2100 Mhz but almost all aircards are at least dual-band: 900/2100, so pending a review of the specs of the model (probably made Huawei) I'd say it would probably work.

I didn't have to do anything to unlock it .I just tried an AIS Net card and it worked. I buy 30 hours a month and just use it as a backup if my ADSL goes down. I'll try it when they switch on the signal

Edited by trd

Excellent! Good thing I got the 900 MHz model and not the True 850 MHz model.

Current AIS 3G packaging/pricing: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3G_package.html

Yes, it does appear as though AIS have spent the last few months installing equipment. ;)

Interesting. Seems they have new packages as well - I used to pay 200 baht/m for 100mb gprs - now 150 baht for 500mb 3G. Not bad! (the page they link to for sign ups still have the old plans/prices)

I just found my modem here: It's the E160.

Huawei

UMTS frequency is 1700/2100 MHz so it won't work on 3G on AIS but will continue to work on EDGE.

No, you are wrong. The O2 Huawei E160 supports UMTS 850, 1900, 2100 MHz. So will support TRUE, DTAC(after their shafting ends) and TOT and it's MVNOs.

Plus it's not locked.

Current AIS 3G packaging/pricing: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3G_package.html

Yes, it does appear as though AIS have spent the last few months installing equipment. ;)

Link to new packages, but perhaps not yet verifiable?

Pricing/packaging seems on par-ish with True; 500 MB for 400 baht. Not exactly sure if this post-paid only, or includes pre-paid?

I just found my modem here: It's the E160.

Huawei

UMTS frequency is 1700/2100 MHz so it won't work on 3G on AIS but will continue to work on EDGE.

No, you are wrong. The O2 Huawei E160 supports UMTS 850, 1900, 2100 MHz. So will support TRUE, DTAC(after their shafting ends) and TOT and it's MVNOs.

Plus it's not locked.

Thanks for the info, but I was referring specifically to AIS on 900 MHz which switches on today in Phuket and isn't supported by the E160.

Current AIS 3G packaging/pricing: http://www.ais.co.th...3G_package.html

Pricing/packaging seems on par-ish with True; 500 MB for 400 baht. Not exactly sure if this post-paid only, or includes pre-paid?

My source gives me a different set of packages .. interesting:

- 150 Baht for 150MB of 3G+/EDGE+

- 350 Baht for 1GB of 3G+/EDGE+

- 550 Baht for 2GB of 3G+/EDGE+ and unlimited 3BB Wi-Fi

- 799 Baht for unlimited access (data speed capped to 384kbps after 3GB of usage, fair-use policy)

I'm quite confident with my source, as it's a friend of mine who works with senior AIS 3G marketing team :)

Edited by infernalman7

Current AIS 3G packaging/pricing: http://www.ais.co.th...3G_package.html

My source gives me a different set of packages .. interesting:

- 150 Baht for 150MB of 3G+/EDGE+

- 350 Baht for 1GB of 3G+/EDGE+

- 550 Baht for 2GB of 3G+/EDGE+ and unlimited 3BB Wi-Fi

- 799 Baht for unlimited access (data speed capped to 384kbps after 3GB of usage, fair-use policy)

I'm quite confident with my source, as it's a friend of mine who works with senior AIS 3G marketing team :)

Just checked out the AIS eService page and it is showing a 3G package with the above pricing. Its also allowing you to sign up from the look of it.

If you are a post paid customer go to https://eservice.ais.co.th/EBillWeb/index.html . You can change your package online, check your balance etc. Its pretty good.

AIS 3G packages and the *133* codes you can use to subscribe to the packages:

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/package/

*133*21# call - 50 Baht for 150MB of 3G+/EDGE+

*133*22# call - 350 Baht for 1GB of 3G+/EDGE+

*133*23# call - 550 Baht for 2GB of 3G+/EDGE+ and unlimited 3BB Wi-Fi

*133*24# call - 799 Baht for unlimited access (data speed capped to 384kbps after 3GB of usage, fair-use policy)

Edited by g00dgirl

I just called AIS callcenter. They didn't know anything about coverage other than there had been a press release about national 3G coverage today.

They said that when 3G is available, if you are currently on a 2G (EDGE/GPRS) package such as this your phone will keep using 2G only, but at a higher speed than before. Presumably at some point they will upgrade the package to include 3G.

Let's see ...

Basically an all new website http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/ ...pricing is aggressive, puts the pressure on True.

Coverage: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/

Price/Package: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/package/

Settings: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/handset/

I haven't read through the terms/conditions.