Camping

GUANO

Looking to spend the weekend camping with the other half. Just wondering if anyone had a recommendations. I saw a thing in City Life about Mon Jam. Though when we looked at the website it seemed to be more of a tour kind of thing.

We don't have any of our own equipment, though may be able to borrow a tent, if needed. It would also be nice if there was something interesting to do nearby like a good walk or waterfall etc. Ideally we would like somewhere within 3 or 4 hours drive but would be willing to go further if somewhere is worth it.

Cheers

GUANO

Doi Pui park campground. Way up in the mountains. Much cooler and cleaner air.

Drive all the up past Doi Suthep and Phuping Palace.

At the Y intersection go right for about 4 km. It's a great spot.

They have some facilities like a pavilion but it's mostly bring your own tent...

Here is the reservation site.

Doi Pui camping

no idea how to actually book a reservation. A Thai friend did it for me last year.. It seemed simple and cheap. Wasn't crowded at all.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

If you go during the high season(when their office is manned) you can rent camping gear and mountain bikes. If you go another 5K or so there is the Chiang Mai Univeristy coffee plantation where they hae cabins for rent.

Doi Pui park campground. Way up in the mountains. Much cooler and cleaner air.

Drive all the up past Doi Suthep and Phuping Palace.

At the Y intersection go right for about 4 km. It's a great spot.

They have some facilities like a pavilion but it's mostly bring your own tent...

Here is the reservation site.

Doi Pui camping

no idea how to actually book a reservation. A Thai friend did it for me last year.. It seemed simple and cheap. Wasn't crowded at all.

Ob Luang National Park is pretty nice. You camp right next to the river, and there is a nice natural trail within that part of the park. Think you can do rafting too. You can rent tents, sleeping bags, etc.. for a few hundred baht.

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/ob-luang-national-forest.html

It's a couple of hours south of Chiang Mai, towards Hod, so you can throw in a trip to Doi Inthanon on the way there/back.

Last time we went during the rainy season, we were told you couldn't camp during the rainy season, but managed to talk them round.

There's plenty of drift wood around for a fire too.

So many choices. The area around the Flight of the Gibbon has several resorts that welcomes campers, which offers nice services, grounds and restaurant. The pne beside the road with the nice gardens set around the river, with the rabbits hopping around, a popular with some families. Track of the Tiger lodge in that area also offers camping at a remote resort, but that's better for a group. Also a some nice resorts near Samoeng, Mae Win, and Mae Cheam offer camping. Also there are a couple of campgrounds near Doi Inthanon which offer nice views but lack in privacy. Man Jam is certainly more romantic.

Oblaung is nice, and our regular swimming place, but the camp site does host many groups; so don't be surprised if 30 kids set up next to you. But again your close to town, and being rainy season it would be quiet. One of my fav camping spots so far was the hot springs before Pai, not the ones with the developed national park. Haum Nam Dang, nice view again there like Mon Jam).

18372993.jpg

Doi Pui gets my vote as the best place to start camping here in the north, it's easy to do a beer run!!

Try Doi Inthanon National Park which is about 80 km south of Chiang Mai. They have a camping area for tents or you can rent one of the small cabins. We rented a cabin a couple years ago and I think it was around B800 per night. Google national parks in Thailnad for their website and you can make reservations and pay on line.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ob Luang looks good. We actually stopped there while doing the Mae Hong Son loop a few weeks ago, but I didn't know you could camp there. Will probably give that a go soon.

Another idea, for when the weather is more reliable, is doing the Samoeng loop with my girlfriend on mountain bikes but camping half way. Does anyone know of a good place to camp around there?

Cheers

The picture I posted is of Haum Nam Dang, but it's not my picture.

You will also find that most national parks offer camping, even if it doesn't seem apparent. There are many nice available spots, but the one thing lacking is nice private camping spots. Most are in open grassy fields. Reportedly a campground on the 1284, that connects the Mae Win area to the 1009 to Doi Inthanon, has a nice campground also.

Camping along the river, Mae Ngao National Park (near Mae Sarieng)

100_3272.JPG

100_3275.JPG

Had brought the family and camping gear but stayed instead in the Flintstone style housing in the Orchid Garden Queens project - nice spot (Best deck in Thailand to enjoy a nice glass of wine, as beer is for the beach). This is located on that mention 1284 route, up in the pine trees, close to Doi Inathanon. Call first though, as it's normally unmanned, PM if you'd like the number - fun spot with a group.

100_2820.JPG

View from that boulder,

100_2819.JPG

If you have good spoken Thai skills you can wild camp in many nice places, if your comfortable doing so, with permission.

100_3074.JPG

Edit, I think it's called Forest Guest house, just behind Samoeng where I've seen a tent on their grounds. Would harbor a bet that most resorts onroute would welcome tenters at a small fee, though a couple of the waterfalls onroute would make make just dandy wild camping spots.

Edited by Fishenough

a thing to note is that possesing or consuming alcoholic beverages is now against the law since December 2010 at any national parks so that might be a put off for some of us who like to have some chilled beer while enjoying the views of parks. :blink: