Permanent Residency

Hi Everyone,

I'm an American English Conversation Teacher living here with my Thai wife. We moved from my home state of Florida in September of 02.' I know it normally takes three years of living here on the same Non-immigrant visa to obtain Permanent Residence. Once member (can't remember the name) remarked some time back that he'd been here as a PM for six years and said that once you get this status, the Thai government pretty much leaves you alone...only requiring that you inform them of your address every year or something along those lines. I also know that only a certain number of nationals from each country are granted this each year when applications are turned in (around December I think) and a big fee must be paid upon issuance of the permit.

I would like to know what anybody's experience has been regarding the PM status and what they went through to obtain it. I'm sure some of the members on here have lived in Thailand for many years and their experiences may be similar to ours. I have a work permit and my "O" visa is stamped with a "B" (or similar) stamp stating that I'm allowed to work. Once the permit expires, so does my visa unless I sign on again with my school or find a new job. So far, my wife and I have been lucky not to have to show money in the bank more than once. Any info would be of great assistance. Thanks!

I know it normally takes three years of living here on the same Non-immigrant visa to obtain Permanent Residence

Having a NON IMMIGRANT VISA for three years isn't what qualifies you for Permanent Residency. Its three consecutive one year extensions granted by THAI IMMIGRATION.

But if you were asked to show proof of funds in the bank you must have had an extension as this is one of the requirements for a support based extension "O".

If you and your wife went back to THAI IMMIGRATION for your second year extension and didn't leave the country for a visa, then you have your second extension. You weren't required to show funds in a THAI Bank because of your work permit so you have a "B" visa class extension or similiar.

Hi Huski,

Thanks for the post. I apologize for being a bit confusing by not stating my case with the right words. I understand that the Non-immigrant visa must be re-stamped for a year extension and after three of these extensions, you can apply for the Permanent Residence. I should have mentioned three consecutive 1-year extensions in my original posting. I have seen many advertisements for immigration lawyers who are supposed to facilitate the process just like they would do for Thais immigrating to the United States. Most of them seem to not provide much help for the money from what I've heard. Supposedly, you would still need a Work Permit to continue working here even after achieving Permanent Residency but I'm not totally sure on this particular point. Many people have commented that getting into Thailand on a permanent basis, although frustrating even for those with Thai wives, is still easier than getting into America, Australia or the UK. It's A LOT easier in most cases for foreign ladies married to Thai men to get into Thailand than it is for us foreign guys married to Thai women. Some folks in the government are working on this human rights issue, so we'll have to see how it turns out in the near future. Most foreign men I've met here, even those who've lived here for years, are not Permanent Residents. Chok dee na krab!

You then are on the right track with THAI IMMIGRATION and your one year extensions, so you must be on your second one year extension?

Supposedly, you would still need a Work Permit to continue working here even after achieving Permanent Residency but I'm not totally sure on this particular point.
You will still need a work permit, but with PR status its going to be very straight foward. George and Doctor correct me if i'm wrong.
It's A LOT easier in most cases for foreign ladies married to Thai men to get into Thailand than it is for us foreign guys married to Thai women.

Its not only easier, but once the foreign lady marries a THAI MAN she can apply for THAI Citizenship.

Thaiboxer,

I suspect that you are making reference to my earlier posts regarding the requirements to be granted Permanent Residency status for Thailand. I repeat that my experience was about 6 years ago, and current requirments may have changed a little, as they continue to do.

Please search for my older posts ' alanw '

A friend recently applied, he was told that three years is mentioned in the written 'rules', and he was also told that three years was not really considered enough time in country. Let's face it - the immigration officials in any country make interpretations which sometimes are an 'adjustment' of the written regulations.

From my experience the time in country is in fact not a major part of the requirments. Please don't assume that the requirments for PR in US, Australia etc are mirrored in the Thai context. They aren't - Thailand has it's own distinct ways of looking at these matters.

In my enquiries, before I applied, I asked my agent to check whether marriage to a Thai woman would 'help' my application.

The answer was straight forward - NO - the application is about you and you only.

Yanks seem to think that US war veterans are given some 'extra points' - wrong.

I can confirm that PR status does not change the need to have a work permit.

Some people seem to think that having PR:

- Changes the need for a work permit - wrong - still need a work permit.

- Changes the categories of work which can be covered by a work permit - wrong - the categories for which work permit can be granted is a fixed list.

- Makes it easier to get a work permit - wrong - granting of work permit is controlled by factors which have no connection or linkage, in any way, to PR status.

Can I suggest that you read my earlier posts, then, if it's helpful, I will try to answer your further questions, from my experience. I repeat, my experience was 6 years ago, however I doubt whether much has changed.

Good luck

Alanw

A friend of mine is re-applying this year after failing last year. Although he has worked here for many years in Thailand, for the first couple of these he was employed by mulitlateral institutions. The thing that triped him up last year was not having 3 years worth of Tax returns (as he worked as on

Tax free status for the World Bank). He only found out after his rejection that he needed to have paid tax and have a return to prove the fact, even though he had a letter from the world bank saying he wasn't required to!!

Otherwise, he was told last years application was fine and he passed the language test which involved him reading somthing like 20 questions, answering the questions and having an interview with section cheif (in Thai).

This year he has taken a more pro-active approach and triple checked what he really needs (not that he was slack on this front last year). He is following the applications even more closely at every step of the way, liasing closely with the immigration people at Suan Phlu, trying to ensure that all steps are properly followed.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info! Alanw, I did check out a couple of your older posts and found them interesting and informative. Everyone has slightly different experiences with the immigration stuff, but from what you've said in your posts some of the details regarding Permanent Residence are not too easy to deal with. I once read that after ten years of being a Permanent Resident one can apply for Thai citizenship although some say your home country may not take too well to that. I wouldn't mind having dual citizenship but if it meant giving up my US citizenship it's better to hang on to that...that way my wife and I have better access to both countries. I have read on here that you will undergo some oral testing in Thai but it's nothing to get worried about...I believe the poster mentioned 40 minutes of light conversation. A written test may be a bit more challenging but perhaps not too difficult. I have yet to learn the alphabet with the exception of a few characters and my speaking, although passable sometimes, needs vast improvement. A couple friends of ours from Japan seem to be getting along well after living here for only two years and studying the Thai curriculum in Ramkhamhaeng University...if they can do it I'm sure I can as well. Thanks again everyone for the posts and I'll definitely check back to see what pops up on the forum. Chok dee!

Re the Thai language test.

My 'test' was conversation only, about 30 minutes, and took up about one third of the total time for the interview with the senior Immigration officer (final interview). Included general every day living conversation, and some questions about current Thai politics etc. Officer asked my opinion on several points (re politics). I gave very diplomatic answers.

Perhaps it's changed and now includes reading and writing.

However I've also come across others who have gained PR who indicated there was no Thai language test at all.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be to get an agent to do some serious checking regarding the current requirements.

Good luck

Sorry I should have been clearer. My friends 'test' was reading only.. no writing involoved. Sort of a comprehension test. He said he had to read about 20 multiple choice questions and then basically chose answer A,B,C or D for each.

He then had an interview and conversation, mainly relating to his job, why he like thailand etc....basically whatever the immigration officer wanted to chat to him about.

Sorry if I have confused anyone.

My experience with the "test" in February 2003: Since I cannot not read Thai, one of the immigration staff read me the multiple choice questions and I answered them.

Also I had to introduce myself; work, family, place of residence and why I applied, all in Thai of course.

I was granted PR in November 2003.

Hi All,

Thanks again for the info! It looks as if people's experiences vary widely with this whole PR process...some having written tests while others having no test at all. Having an agent check current regulations at the time would certainly be helpful. I guess it can still change at the last minute or so depending on which immigration officer interviews you and what mood the person is in at the time. My experiences with the Soi Suan Phlu Immigration Office have been pretty standard I suppose, although the only two major things I've done regarding them is extend my visa (when I was a tourist a few years back) and get my "O" visa stamped so I could work at my current job (with help from a Thai lady who does paperwork for the school). Since the PR falls into a completely different category than the other normal visa stuff, I guess I'll have to be prepared for just about anything. Chok dee everyone!