Basic Pasta Recipe

yekuti

16 ounces pasta (or less, to suit your needs)

Water to cover

Salt to taste

Put pasta in a 2- or 3-quart microwave-safe container, breaking long pasta to fit if necessary. Cover with water by at least 1 inch. Add salt. Cover bowl, and microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Drain the pasta and use immediately.

If pasta must sit before using, toss it with a small amount of cooking oil or butter to prevent sticking. If you are making pasta salad, rinse pasta with cool water, then add vegetables and dressing.

Makes 4 servings.

A true gourmet :bah:

Yekuti works for the microwave promotion board.:lol:

Try big pot on stove top - add salt, boil to al dente - no more! drain, eat. Do not add oil to the water. if making a sauce, spoon in a few spoonfuls of the pasta water to the sauce.

A true gourmet :bah:

Yekuti works for the microwave promotion board.:lol:

Try big pot on stove top - add salt, boil to al dente - no more! drain, eat. Do not add oil to the water. if making a sauce, spoon in a few spoonfuls of the pasta water to the sauce.

BkkJames,

Curious.....

\Ever since I have been cooking Italian food and pasta - I add a spoon of olivie oil to the pasta once cooked but before drain the water to prevnt the pasta from sticking -

Please why do you advocate not to ?

After its cooked its ok to add some olive oil but doing so from the start I understand causes something to negate some of the starch being released in the cooking process. I am sure anguid knows the chemistry behind this.

I do know that I was a long time add a little oil at the start type to prevent sticking until I saw an italian chef cooking pasta and he was adament not to add any. Again I don't remember the exact reason but for years now I have been following his advise on this.

If you cook the pasta in the right way with plenty of water (1 lt. of water for each 100 grams of pasta) and you cook 'al dente' (9-10 minutes for spaghetti - 11/12 for short pasta) and then you put in a pan with the sauce for the last minute or so of cooking and getting the sauce, you'll never have a sticky pasta and you don't need any oil.

PS: put the pasta in the water only when water is boiling and mix sometimes, mostly at the beginning.

Uff! Italian cooking school :lol:

Good pasta never stick.

If you don't boil it for 30 minutes.... :lol:

And stop with the oil! :bah:

well well never to old to learn! no oil next time...promise....thank you conseilerie... ;)

is okay if I still swizzle the pasta in a spoon with a fork or does that show me up..sort of like my one son will always eat pizza with a knife and fork.. :P

I do like to drink cheap red wine out of a tooth mug so I must be a little bit cool hugh?

Good pasta never stick.

well well never to old to learn! no oil next time...promise....thank you conseilerie... ;)

is okay if I still swizzle the pasta in a spoon with a fork or does that show me up..sort of like my one son will always eat pizza with a knife and fork.. :P

I do like to drink cheap red wine out of a tooth mug so I must be a little bit cool hugh?

That's OK until you bring your leggy blonde gf back for a nightcap....and serve her up a glass in a wispa mug. Your son will then know you're a tool. You have been warned.

Good pasta never stick.

That's OK until you bring your leggy blonde gf back for a nightcap....and serve her up a glass in a wispa mug. Your son will then know you're a tool. You have been warned.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Leggy blondes are a bit thin on the ground here....( what is a "wispa" mug...tupperware/paper?) I was referring to plastic motel glasses "this glass has been sanitary wrapped for your protection"

Really though ...I like to drink swilling wine out of a tumbler like the ol guys in the town square in S Italy..

So ..what about a recipe for cannelloni...

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Leggy blondes are a bit thin on the ground here....( what is a "wispa" mug...tupperware/paper?) I was referring to plastic motel glasses "this glass has been sanitary wrapped for your protection"

Really though ...I like to drink swilling wine out of a tumbler like the ol guys in the town square in S Italy..

So ..what about a recipe for cannelloni...

biggrin.gif

I knew I'd get panned for the use of 'blonde'....but what to do? The local lassies would drink it straight from the bottle quite happily....in fact guzzle might be more appropriate...

Don't like cannelloni but my lasagne is well beyond good.........

This an inherently dumb question (from an inherently dumb guy?) but while I ow the thought is rather sacrilegious, sometimes it's necessary to bake a lasagna with a microwave. We've sort of worked out how to do it with failry good results (of course not like baking in an oven) but does anyone have any tips for making the best possible microwave lasagna?

This an inherently dumb question (from an inherently dumb guy?) but while I ow the thought is rather sacrilegious, sometimes it's necessary to bake a lasagna with a microwave. We've sort of worked out how to do it with failry good results (of course not like baking in an oven) but does anyone have any tips for making the best possible microwave lasagna?

I'm stumped on that. A tough call even for our new micrwave loving member.....look forward to her response....biggrin.gif

I make enough Lasagne for eight portions and freeze them individually so I can easily nuke them later and serve with a salad (or chips haha!).

:D Seems ur real expert in Italian food bkkjames! Now i've learnt more about it!

Yeah what did jfc think of your efforts James? biggrin.gif

And jfc stands for ?...

Top food critic of Thai Visa.....although tex/mex is more up his street I believe....whistling.gif

Edit: Anyway we're all waiting to hear how to bake a lasagne in the microwave...?

Edited by smokie36

You buy a good microwave/convection oven,most good ones are dual now.

Basically the convection part does the browning wink.gif or buy a blow-torch,same job

Fanny Craddock

Yeah, I know a convection oven works better. I'm talking about a kitchen without one (holiday home).

And it's not down to just browning -- it's a different sort of cooking altogether. In fact, microwaves actually heat food rather than cook it. You can't bake with a microwave. And lasagna -- and other goodies -- should be baked.

You buy a good microwave/convection oven,most good ones are dual now.

Basically the convection part does the browning wink.gif or buy a blow-torch,same job

Fanny Craddock

Come on don't be shy Fanny let's see the before and after pics.....my money's on a microwave explosion....rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I know a convection oven works better. I'm talking about a kitchen without one (holiday home).

And it's not down to just browning -- it's a different sort of cooking altogether. In fact, microwaves actually heat food rather than cook it. You can't bake with a microwave. And lasagna -- and other goodies -- should be baked.

Hence why i said a dual oven which are cheap right now so just invest in one,then you will be happy mama mia!! :rolleyes:

A dual microwave convection oven,most are like this now....ie: posh microwave,but lets be honest microwaves alone are made for reheating food.......as you say not cooking food.

Smokes i never cook with a microwave,in fact as a Chef de cuisine in my previous life i like to use methods from the bible.

I can't for the life of me see how you would cook such a dish in a microwave. Leaving aside the obvious question of why its an excellent puzzle.

Extra points if there are some crispy bits naturally...rolleyes.gif

More Marcus Wareing than Heston Blumenthal then mate?.....lacking creativity in the middle course...

To ear someone coocking pasta in the microwave make me chicken skin... :blink:

As someone told 1 liter of boiling salty water each 100 gr of pasta, cooking following the producer instruction time or less.

Some good producer use to understimate the coocking time to be sure people leave it al dente.

NO OIL, at all. Just when we cook fresh egg lasagna pasta we use to put a couple spoons of olive oil in the water. But today most of people prefer to make lasagne skipping the pre-cooking of pasta.

A modern way could be to cook pasta (small sizes) directly in the sauce, like risotto. It is very fashion and with some recipe also not too bad, but in not good with every sauce...

Do not forget that in Big C (ex Carrefour?) you can find the best industrial pasta we have in Italy, Garofalo. It is for sure the best of the big producers.

Unfortunately here is not too easy to find little producers as Verrigni, Setaro, Di Nola, Fabbri, Cocco,...

:jap:

Edited by Ciocco