Basic Pasta Recipe

yekuti

NO OIL, at all. Just when we cook fresh egg lasagna pasta we use to put a couple spoons of olive oil in the water. But today most of people prefer to make lasagne skipping the pre-cooking of pasta.

I don't use oil but instead cook in boiling water in small batches for 2-3 minutes each bofore adding to the sauce. Too much pasta in the pot and it does tend to stick together.

I don't even own a microwave.

I'll bring some wine and flowers. What's for supper? smile.gif

Well, I've been sitting here for 48 hours...

Yer dinner's in the bin!!!

A lucky escape for me then. If you were a great cook it would have been eaten by your discerning cat. biggrin.gif

He only eats cat food and the occasional bit of smoked salmon.

Na, I have a haggis in my freezer I've been dying to cook, neeps too!!

Ahh my favourite!

Save it for the skiing season and we can enjoy it by the log fire with a glass or two of quality malt. Or for old times sake I could bring a couple of bottles of diamond white....rolleyes.gif

Edit: Play your cards right and I might bring a smokie an all. tongue.gif

Edited by smokie36

Okay, this may sound llike sacriledge to many of you gourmets

But, Once I cook the pasta

I add it to the meat./tomato sauce.

escpially if you are not going to eat sraight-away

It stays nice and moist.

Try it.

Not sure what you mean? I enjoy a cold pasta dish for lunch often...cooked the night before and served with salad the next day.

weird stuff, pasta...plays hell wid the diabetes but can't seem to stay away from it...especially here in VN where I can easily get ground beef and a dyno-mite bolognaise sauce is just a heartbeat away, can't get none in Thailand...whip it all together then gots an easy re-heated meal for 2-3 days...tastin' better for each day left in the fridge...

yassuh...

He only eats cat food and the occasional bit of smoked salmon.

Na, I have a haggis in my freezer I've been dying to cook, neeps too!!

Ahh my favourite!

Save it for the skiing season and we can enjoy it by the log fire with a glass or two of quality malt. Or for old times sake I could bring a couple of bottles of diamond white....rolleyes.gif

Edit: Play your cards right and I might bring a smokie an all. tongue.gif

I don't ski.

Okay, this may sound llike sacriledge to many of you gourmets

But, Once I cook the pasta

I add it to the meat./tomato sauce.

escpially if you are not going to eat sraight-away

It stays nice and moist.

Try it.

Not sure what you mean? I enjoy a cold pasta dish for lunch often...cooked the night before and served with salad the next day.

I guess that is to each - his own. Even though I am very familiar with the correct way to cook pasta, I tend to find that - as an accompaniment to a bolanese or milanaise, it dries out very quickly. My preference is to add it to the sauce. In that way it can be enjoyed for the original meal, and also for further meals, when the taste usually improves.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't like cannelloni but my lasagne is well beyond good.........

This an inherently dumb question (from an inherently dumb guy?) but while I ow the thought is rather sacrilegious, sometimes it's necessary to bake a lasagna with a microwave. We've sort of worked out how to do it with failry good results (of course not like baking in an oven) but does anyone have any tips for making the best possible microwave lasagna?

maybe there should be a forum for "microwave western cookery"

Actually a friend of mine gave me a big fat microwave cookery cookbook a couple of years ago, I think it was an old 80's garage sale gem... (it was a bit of a joke at the time)

:lol: