Dea Agent Killed In The '70S

chaoyang

Blah blah, blah.

Wow. That's real maturity and class. And clever too. Excellent refutation of my points. (Personally I'd be genuinely embarrassed to make a response like that and wouldn't subsequently expect to be taken seriously or as someone who was interested in a reasonable exchange of views -- clearly you aren't the latter).

My point is: be careful what is called a conspiracy theory -- a way overused term, incidentally -- because it could well be the truth.

It is overused -- as are whole lot of simplistic ideas -- among them the sorts embraced by Conspiracy Theorists; but by definition, Conspiracy Theories, in the sense that we are using the term, are not "the truth". (Perhaps you yourself are guilty of using the term too freely -- not every theory explaining what might have happened or be happening that differs from the "official story" is a Conspiracy Theory).

You're really boring and doing your best to hijack what was a fairly interesting discussion with your blathering.

Getting back to the original story, I only found a single reference online to the death of a Joyce Powers, wife of a DEA agent, murdered in Chiang Mai in 1980. This would help explain why the US would not engage with Khun Sa in the 1980s and take up Khun Sa's offer to sell the entire crop under his control to the US, thus keeping the drugs off the street. It also helps explain why the US State Department evacuated all non-essential personnel from the US consulate back in late 1987 when they perceived a possible threat.

Getting back to the original story, I only found a single reference online to the death of a Joyce Powers, wife of a DEA agent, murdered in Chiang Mai in 1980. This would help explain why the US would not engage with Khun Sa in the 1980s and take up Khun Sa's offer to sell the entire crop under his control to the US, thus keeping the drugs off the street. It also helps explain why the US State Department evacuated all non-essential personnel from the US consulate back in late 1987 when they perceived a possible threat.

Khun Sa (what a story that is -- don't claim to be an expert but I've written a lot about him in the past - elsewhere) was arguably a real threat and taken quite seriously at the time I think. We're talking about a guy not only with hundreds of millions of dollars (in a region and a time when that kind of money meant even more power than it does now) and a private army but also the active collusion of the armed forces (including senior leadership at times) in both of the countries he used as his home and area of operations.

But he was quite worried about the US as well...

In the interview with William Young I referenced before, he said said something to the effect that one of his big regrets is that they were never able to bring Khun Sa to book, which they really, really wanted after the killing of the agent's wife.

In my time in Chiang Mai, I heard stories that Khun Sa had a big mansion in the city and was occasionally seen around town in the company of Thai police. I did know the son of one of his associates,a teenager who attended an international school in Chiang Mai. He would occasionally and easily slip back to Burma overland to visit, then return.

In my time in Chiang Mai, I heard stories that Khun Sa had a big mansion in the city and was occasionally seen around town in the company of Thai police.

There was (maybe still is) a large compound with a very high wall in the warren of sois just SW of Thaphae Gate that my intelligence sources -- OK, the girls from Stuart's Oasis, which was just around the corner -- always claimed was Khun Sa's Chiangmai HQ. It had a large gate and a good amount of truck traffic in and out.

In my time in Chiang Mai, I heard stories that Khun Sa had a big mansion in the city and was occasionally seen around town in the company of Thai police.

There was (maybe still is) a large compound with a very high wall in the warren of sois just SW of Thaphae Gate that my intelligence sources -- OK, the girls from Stuart's Oasis, which was just around the corner -- always claimed was Khun Sa's Chiangmai HQ. It had a large gate and a good amount of truck traffic in and out.

I think you might mean what is now the Smile Guest House just up the soi from De Naga Hotel

There was (maybe still is) a large compound with a very high wall in the warren of sois just SW of Thaphae Gate that my intelligence sources -- OK, the girls from Stuart's Oasis, which was just around the corner --

I would suspect that Stewart's wife, AKA The Dragon Lady, would have been a reliable source. Poor Stewart.

• 7 years later...

To the topic: DEA Agent Robert Lightfoot died at the Embassy in Bangkok due to an accidental discharge of his firearm.  He was alone in the office and had placed his firearm on top of a file cabinet and prepared to secure the cabinet when the firearm fell to the floor and discharged, striking him in the lower abdomen.  He was found crawling in the hall and immediately transported to the hospital where he passed away.  I was there.

26 minutes ago, Giff said:

To the topic: DEA Agent Robert Lightfoot died at the Embassy in Bangkok due to an accidental discharge of his firearm.  He was alone in the office and had placed his firearm on top of a file cabinet and prepared to secure the cabinet when the firearm fell to the floor and discharged, striking him in the lower abdomen.  He was found crawling in the hall and immediately transported to the hospital where he passed away.  I was there.

O'rly?

what make and caliber was the gun.....