Why Rent Out Wrong Sized Bikes?

ianf

Today in Chiang Mai I saw at least two groups of tourists on rented MTB bikes.

Without exception they were all riding bikes that were too small - or the saddles were too low.

People who rent out bikes should have the knowledge and take responsibility for hiring bikes that fit the riders. Most of these people looked like dwarfs struggling along.

Riding in the wrong position makes cycling hard work. Added to the fact that most of these riders are not regular cyclists or unfit, it really is not fair on them to make their cycling harder work than is realistically needed.

Not only that, once the bike is way to small it can crate pains, where they should not be and weird pedalling styles such as using the arch of the foot and then splaying the feet out like ducks.

It doesn't give them the best control either.

Just a rant but upsetting to watch these peeps struggling along.

I've seen some pretty bad cases of that too. But not so surprising that people renting out bikes aren't very concerned about bike fit. In Thailand it's hard enough to find a shop competent in fitting a bicycle when your buying the bike, let alone renting it. Even the high end shops seem to do little more than check to make sure that the standover height is low enough that you don't get hit in the crotch by the top-tube when you dismount the bike..

Edited by OriginalPoster

Easy solution: don't rent a bike if it doesn't fit you. It's as much the fault of the buyer as the seller in my opinion.

Mountain bike seats are easy to raise. Why didn't the renters simply raise their seats? Furthermore, competent MTB riders also carry a multi-tool. They would have been able to change the angle of their seat, etc.

Easy solution: don't rent a bike if it doesn't fit you. It's as much the fault of the buyer as the seller in my opinion.

Mountain bike seats are easy to raise. Why didn't the renters simply raise their seats? Furthermore, competent MTB riders also carry a multi-tool. They would have been able to change the angle of their seat, etc.

A lot of the time, maybe even most of the time, the people renting out the bikes are not experienced cyclists and may not be aware that that their seat height, angle, etc are poor.

I agree to a point though, if the shop doesn't have a bike that fits you can always try another shop. The cases that are a bit hard to understand though are when you see a package tour group out on a ride and all their bikes are obviously ill-fitting. In those cases, people are generally booking the trip from overseas and paying top dollar for the equipment plus guide.

Edited by OriginalPoster

A lot of the time, maybe even most of the time, the people renting out the bikes are not experienced cyclists and may not be aware that that their seat height, angle, etc are poor.

I agree to a point though, if the shop doesn't have a bike that fits you can always try another shop. The cases that are a bit hard to understand though are when you see a package tour group out on a ride and all their bikes are obviously ill-fitting. In those cases, people are generally booking the trip from overseas and paying top dollar for the equipment plus guide.

I'm guessing that a lot of times the tourists are just looking for the cheapest option too. Any reputable bike tour operator would fit everyone to a properly-sized bike.

The same holds true for package tour groups. The problem here can be twofold: if the tourist/s didn't talk directly to the tour operator, but instead went through an agent (who always give the answer 'yes' to everything), then the chances of getting the proper bike diminishes. If the tourist/s shop purely by price, they're not as likely to get someone who gives two hoots about whether you're on the right bike or not.

In both cases, it's getting what you pay for. There are loads of quality bike tour operators in Thailand. I've not personally been with any in Chiang Mai, but I've heard very good things about some of them up there.

As with many aspects of choosing a tour, it pays to do a bit of research before arriving.

People who are not regular bike riders do not know what the correct sized bike is until it either battters their knee caps or bites them in the nuts. However, have any of you ever thought that the average Joe renting a bike does not want the right sized bike, most often opting to rent something smaller, and in fact would refuse to rent the proper sized bike. When I found out for the first time what the correct sized bike was for me (very recently actually and I am nearly half a century old), I couldn't believe it. It looked way too high and intimidating. This was after riding for years on cheap and cheerful push bikes.

As with many leisure activities, we do not read up on them unless we get really serious about them and thus, never learn that we have been doing something the hard or wrong way for years - or even dangerous way. I include myself here. I have only quite recently got into cycling more seriously for exercise and the enjoyment I get out of it, and found out that for the past 40 years or so I have been riding bikes that are supposedly too small for me (luckily no aches or pains for the error and my nuts and knees are fine thank you).

I promise when I upgrade from my shopper, I will buy the correct sized bicycle. I'm looking forward to it actually.