Mobile Broadand In Laos (Vientiane)

Hey, I'm going to laos next week (vientiane) and have a couple of questions regarding internet.

Do they have a good mobile broadband network? and what sort of speeds are we talking?

Also would it work much like the UK, ie get a pre-paid SIM card with a data package, and away i go.

What sort of prices are we they? or if you could point me in the directions of the networks I'll try and google it

Just to note I have an Andorid phone and also a BlackBerry (both network free)

Cheers

Sorry, don’t know about Laos providers.

However, as a tidbit, if you’re close to the Mekong river in Vientiane, you can use the Thai providers.

I’ve used AIS there, the few times I’ve been up. Granted that you have and use a Thai SIM :unsure:

If you’re on the river it should work. As soon as you get a block or two away from it, the reception is very poor.

That’s for AIS, not sure about DTAC.

I’m sure you know this, but some might not... You do have to force your phone to the provider you want.

Or you might end up surfing away a small fortune on a Laos provider.

I'm sure you know this, but some might not... You do have to force your phone to the provider you want.

Or you might end up surfing away a small fortune on a Laos provider.

Yer I guessed I would. hopefully the signal is good and speed is good.

However just found Unitel have a good 3g service for about 75p a day... so if all else fails ill pick one up

thanks for the help!

Hi ..if You have a USB Stick go to buy a M Phone 3G Sim Card in Vientiane.. ..Cost is for 1 week unlimited 150K Lao Kip or about 600 Baht ..works perfect with a Speed even enough for looks You Tube around the Clock !!<div>M Phone Head Center is close to the Morning Market and Lady stuff there are very helpful and always happy when Foreigner come in ...</div>

Hi ..if You have a USB Stick go to buy a M Phone 3G Sim Card in Vientiane.. ..Cost is for 1 week unlimited 150K Lao Kip or about 600 Baht ..works perfect with a Speed even enough for looks You Tube around the Clock !!<div>M Phone Head Center is close to the Morning Market and Lady stuff there are very helpful and always happy when Foreigner come in ...</div>

I don't have a USB stick - but I can use the my android phone as a modem and put the SIM in that. 600baht is pretty cheap so worth doing.

What speeds are you getting with it?

• 2 months later...

How is dtac reception about a block in from the River rd on an upper floor hotel room (both telephone and data)? One-2-call or True any better? I know I got nothing last time staying near That Dam. Thanks

I stayed in this area too and had good reception on DTAC. Depends on your phone and quality of radio. GF had reception only near the river (Samsung).

The DTAC tower is opposite in Si Chiang Mai on the hospital. Near the river everybody should have easy reception.

Edited by GreenSnapper