Need Coverter From 220Thai Power To 110. 60Hz

WilliamCave

hi

was hopping to get info,

I have some things i brought with me from Canada and was not wolling to part with them.

Now i am looking to buy some tipe of transformer if that what it would be called, to reduce thai power to 110v 60hz it is for entertainment equipment

I live in bkk and was thinkng china town might be the place to start.

any info were can buy?

thx in advance

Yup, step down transformers are available everywhere, ensure you get one with sufficient power (1.5 x your equipment load).

If any of your kit uses power-bricks get a local one with the same output.

Switch-mode power supplies will be no problem, many are multi voltage anyway and will not require a transformer.

As to the frequency issue, motors may run slow and could overheat, transformers will run hot and could burn out if they are built to a price (less iron).

Yup, step down transformers are available everywhere, ensure you get one with sufficient power (1.5 x your equipment load).

If any of your kit uses power-bricks get a local one with the same output.

Switch-mode power supplies will be no problem, many are multi voltage anyway and will not require a transformer.

As to the frequency issue, motors may run slow and could overheat, transformers will run hot and could burn out if they are built to a price (less iron).

I would say most home devices won't have a problem. Just the question is which are the devices which are not "most".

Industrial motors will run 20 % slower. I think and I am not sure about this: motors like in a drilling machine have no issues.

I would say most home devices won't have a problem. Just the question is which are the devices which are not "most".

Industrial motors will run 20 % slower. I think and I am not sure about this: motors like in a drilling machine have no issues.

'Universal' motors as usually found in electric drills etc (they have brushes) won't run slow because of the reduced frequency, but may overheat due to there being less iron in the motor cores, induction motors (no brushes) will run slow and also may overheat for the same reasons.

As H90 notes it's all a bit of a lottery, old kit which is over designed will likely be just fine, modern items which have been designed down to a price may have issues.

I brought a VitaMix from the US as well as a few other high-drawing appliances. Quite frankly, the little transformers available at Powerbuy and the like just didn't have the juice to do the job.

I had to go to Amorn at the Old Siam Shopping Center to get a powerful enough transformer, and it works like a charm for all my US electronics.

I brought a VitaMix from the US as well as a few other high-drawing appliances. Quite frankly, the little transformers available at Powerbuy and the like just didn't have the juice to do the job.

I had to go to Amorn at the Old Siam Shopping Center to get a powerful enough transformer, and it works like a charm for all my US electronics.

William,

+1 for Amorn.

There are however satellite branches like Tesco Rama IV

Check their website for one near you.

Induction motors will be affected. 60Hz motors will draw excessive current if run on 50Hz supply. the answer is to reduce the line volts to 83.3%, ie from 110 to 90 volts. They will run slower ie from 1800 to 1500rpm for 4 pole motors and 3600 to 3000rpm for 2 pole motors.

If you run a 50Hz induction motor on 60 Hz the line current decreases, magnetic noise increases and speed is increased in proportion.

And be careful of NEMA 2 pin and 3 pin plug tops they fit the TIS socket outlets which are 220 volts.