Krabi Pt Gas Station Scam

Biz

We stopped our car for Gas at the Krabi PT station on Highway 4034 where it meets Highway 4204 (the road to the Shell cemetery, and the back way to Ao Nang Beach).

I had stopped here before and not had a problem, but in this case the guy told me that the fill up came to 500 baht. Well, I had checked before filling and it was directly on a half. The most I have ever paid for a full tank is 780, and whenever the needle is on half it costs between 340 baht and 380, depending on the gas price.

When I went to check the pump, they had filled 20 baht into a motorcycle and the display showed 20 baht. They claimed that there was not way to scroll through the past transactions, as one can do from a console inside the gas station in most every other country.

So, a perfect crime – your word against theirs, and they have a bunch of people that will surely pipe in that they saw the price and it was 500 baht. Beaten for a hundred baht, and the guy who pulled the stunt had a smirk on his face through the whole thing, as in “Up yours, farang.”

Not too much that you can do in that situation, although we spoke to a woman who claims to be the owner and she said that they can’t review prior transactions. We have chosen to never go to this station again (there are plenty around the area) and no other PT stations (they have a dark green leafy logo and PT on the sign) in case this is common practice with this company. Cheating customers is a low success approach, as customers always find out – such as this board.